4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Necessity of Dust Boots and Bump Stops?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Necessity of Dust Boots and Bump Stops?

So i am working on getting a list of everything i will do for my suspension. I am very confused about dust boots and bump stops. I plan on doing KYBs, Eibachs, Motivational mounts, Energy bushings and all other wear items. How important is it to have a dust boot with bump stops? Can you get bump stops without dust boots? When do bump stops need to be trimmed? What would happen without dustboots OR bump stops? I want to do this right the first time so I dont ever have to do it again hopefully.
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2003, 10:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Necessity of Dust Boots and Bump Stops?

Originally posted by Miasma
So i am working on getting a list of everything i will do for my suspension. I am very confused about dust boots and bump stops. I plan on doing KYBs, Eibachs, Motivational mounts, Energy bushings and all other wear items. How important is it to have a dust boot with bump stops? Can you get bump stops without dust boots? When do bump stops need to be trimmed? What would happen without dustboots OR bump stops? I want to do this right the first time so I dont ever have to do it again hopefully.
Thanks!
I did not have to replace the bump stops when I installed my suspension. KYB/AGX, Maxspeeds.

You will need dust boots, they prevent any dirt or debris from getting into the shock itself and damging it or decreasing the life of the unit.

I went to a local auto parts store and got some dust boots for like 4 bucks a piece, 4 total and they were of a much better quality than OEM and were longer.

If you call a dealer they will tell you to replace all of the rubber that is part of the strut spring assembly. My mechanic disagreed.

On a high mileage car you will see some benefit as the original parts will be worn.

Hope this helps!
Dave
Old 02-21-2003, 10:35 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Necessity of Dust Boots and Bump Stops?

Originally posted by Miasma
How important is it to have a dust boot with bump stops?
VERY IMPORTANT!
Two Reasons:

1) If the shock impacts the upper mount you could damage it or the mount.

2) If the shock piston becomes scrathed from road grit, kiss it goodbye.

Get the KYB dust covers if you want to save a few bucks. They work just fine.

Nice setup by the way!
Old 02-21-2003, 10:38 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

It is VERY important to have both bumpstops and dustboots. Without bumpstops, everytime you bottomed out your suspension, you would have metal on metal contact, a violent impact that would most likely destroy your strut in seconds. The dustboots keep dust and debris from getting on the strut shaft and seals, prematurely wearing both of them out and causing leaks and squeeks. Do it right the first time, dustboots with bumpstops all around, or you will be sorry...
Old 02-21-2003, 10:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok, well, my stock dust boots are shot, torn all over the place. are the bump stops built into the stockers? Can I cut away the dust cover and leave the bump stop and then replace the dust cover with one of the cheapy rancho dust covers from summit? When do the bump stops have to be trimmed? If i have motivational mounts and eibach springs do you think i will need to trim the bump stops?
Old 02-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

just get the KYB boots and you won't have to worrk about cutting bump stops, which is a major PITA.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:16 AM

get the kyb boots.
since youre still in planning stage youll save time and energy by preparing better with the boots while youre still ahead.

my stock boots were fine but the fools that did my suspension left them out and mustve scrapped them!!!!! FOOLS

so then half a year later i had njmaxseltd help with the install, he does great work but man if it was done right in the first place it wouldve been easier.

get the boots