4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ACT Stage II Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 05:56 PM

ACT Stage II Clutch Problem

Hey all,
Today I think my ACT Stage 2 Clutch **** the bed. I just hit 100,000 miles this Friday and I'm already having problems. I can start the car out in 1st gear, but I really gotta rev it up to about 3 grand or else it will stall. If the revs aren't high enough the car stalls, too. The clutch is also wicked easy to push in until about 3/4 down, when it gets firm again like normal. If I push it down, it will stay down on the floor as well. I'm ****ed because the clutch was brand new in Summer '02, and I've only had the car for 2 months. The mechanic at an auto performance shop said it might just be pressure plates, but I'm not sure. Based on my description, what do you think is the problem. If I need to buy a new clutch, should I get a new ACT clutch, or the Unorthodox racing clutch sold on custommaxima.com? Thanks for the input and advice,
MassMax
Old 03-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Administrator

there is no sugh thing as a ACT state 2 clutch
Old 03-02-2003, 06:02 PM

There isn't? Then what is it?
Old 03-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Administrator

make sure its an ACT Steet Disc.. because if its a puck clutch.. it will kill your tranny in a couple weeks
Old 03-02-2003, 06:31 PM

It is an ACT Street Disk, but what do you think is the matter with the Maxima based on my description? Could it be pressure plates, because other members have seemed to have problems with it before. If I need to buy a new clutch, should I get a new ACT street disk*, or the Unorthodox racing clutch?
MassMax
Old 03-02-2003, 06:39 PM
Administrator

sounds like a problem with the master cylinder.. if the clutch was blown.. everything else would be fine.. the clutch just wouldn't grab when you tried to move..

just an idea though.. maybe the monday freaks will come in and post tommorow
Old 03-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Cumalittle

when ur clutch is totally gone...when u shift into gear...car will not stall...

Old 03-02-2003, 06:47 PM

BTW, I can't put the Max into gear when the car is started, only when the car is turned off I can put it into first and then start the car with my foot mashed onto the gas pedal to start going anywhere. With the clutch pushed fully down, I feel like im gonna break the shifter trying to jam it in, but it won't go in, either. HELP!
Old 03-02-2003, 07:45 PM
The original VQ...

Originally posted by MassMax GT-R
It is an ACT Street Disk, but what do you think is the matter with the Maxima based on my description? Could it be pressure plates, because other members have seemed to have problems with it before. If I need to buy a new clutch, should I get a new ACT street disk*, or the Unorthodox racing clutch?
MassMax
Is it a stage 2 or street disc , first you say stage 2 then street disc? if its a stage 2 then you should get a flywheel or its gona mess up your flywheel and tranny. Try bleeding you clutch system, sometimes air could of gotton in or you master cylinders is f*uckedup
Old 03-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Cumalittle

BTW, I can't put the Max into gear when the car is started, only when the car is turned off I can put it into first and then start the car with my foot mashed onto the gas pedal to start going anywhere. With the clutch pushed fully down, I feel like im gonna break the shifter trying to jam it in, but it won't go in, either. HELP!
if u can only put the car in gear while it's off and not on...indicates that the clutch is not being engaged...it's ur hydrolic system...

Old 03-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Ramius83

Yes, it is your hydaulic system.

First, check the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir.
Second, Check for any "fluid" on the actual clutch pedal.
Third, Check the slave cylinder boot. It is located directly under the bottom right corner of the valve cover. It has a little boot on it.
Fourth, check your actual rubber hydraulic line that is about 6 inches long that leads to your slave cylinder.

Once the leak is found or the faulty item is discovered, replace it and check back to us....

Old 03-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Look into this
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=clutch
-hype
Old 03-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Sports Button FTW

i'm actually experiencing similar problems with RPM. I dont stall cause i catch it on time but these past few days its been a little harder to drive my car. I would rev up and let go of clutch at a certain spot like i always do and now the rpm like drops hard as hell forcing me to give it quick gas to catch it on time befoer stalling, making my first gear starts real nasty....if i like concentrate real hard i can get it to start perfectly but i feel i'm using much more work than i used to. tomorrow i'm going to get on highway, throw it in 5th and cruise at 60 then floor it to see what happens...i got 130,000 miles...my clutch could be going but i doubt it....pressure of clutch pedal feels exactly like before, i hear no noise or anything, just find it harder to come out first...or maybe i've gotten lazy?.....

i hope 190hpkilla doesnt see this
Old 03-02-2003, 10:41 PM

Re: ACT Stage II Clutch Problem

Hey all,
Today I think my ACT Stage 2 Clutch **** the bed. I just hit 100,000 miles this Friday and I'm already having problems. I can start the car out in 1st gear, but I really gotta rev it up to about 3 grand or else it will stall. If the revs aren't high enough the car stalls, too. The clutch is also wicked easy to push in until about 3/4 down, when it gets firm again like normal. If I push it down, it will stay down on the floor as well. I'm ****ed because the clutch was brand new in Summer '02, and I've only had the car for 2 months. The mechanic at an auto performance shop said it might just be pressure plates, but I'm not sure. Based on my description, what do you think is the problem. If I need to buy a new clutch, should I get a new ACT clutch, or the Unorthodox racing clutch sold on custommaxima.com? Thanks for the input and advice,
MassMax
Hmm. Have you been playing with the ECU at all? This also sounds similar to what happens when the car is in safe mode. I really dont see the clutching going that quick. I broke her in correctly and never beat on it. Maybe you can convince insurance that they need to fix it from the accident?
As for the clutch peddal sticking - are those pedal covers still on ? It may be them catching. The release point for that clutch is like 1/4 depressed, so you could just like tap the clutch pedal to shift.
Not being able to shift with the car off puzzels me. Shouldnt that pretty much work no matter what as the clutch isnt even being used...
I figured id put my 2 cents in since I still know that car like the back of my hand.

Oh also check your PMs mass max, i sent you something kind of cool
Old 03-04-2003, 06:56 PM

I haven't played around with the Max's ECU at all...yet. Today my mechanic told me that it was the slave cylinder, and that it would be ordered from Nissan for about $100. I didn't think it was the clutch becuase I knew you had just installed it during the past summer and you never beat on it. Yes, the pedal covers are on, but they were not catching, the clutch actually went limp and stayed on the floor...you could move it back and forth easily with no effort with your hand. My point was that I could only shift into gear with the car off....but once the car was on, I could not even force the shifter into ANY gear with the clutch down as it always is when you shift.

BTW, thanks for the article, and thanks for the car...it's been a while since I've talked to you man.

MassMax