4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another 5-speed question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 09:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Another 5-speed question...

My friend on GSR can easily get out of the gear without the clutch when slowing down, and i, on the other hand, can only do this sometimes. is this normal for maximas? and at what rpms do you shift? i shift at 1.5-2.0k (close to what manual says)
Old 03-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Dev

Re: Another 5-speed question...

Originally posted by Kolyan
My friend on GSR can easily get out of the gear without the clutch when slowing down, and i, on the other hand, can only do this sometimes. is this normal for maximas? and at what rpms do you shift? i shift at 1.5-2.0k (close to what manual says)
i haven't tried ever shifting without the clutch while the car was on...it isn't beneficial in anyway.

as for shifting for daily driving...2.5-3k for first gear, and 2.0-2.5k for all other gears.
i try to cruise just under 2k.

i don't know why you would shift at 1.5k...thats not that great for the tranny...cause the next gear will be at like 1k rpm, and thats not good for accelerating or cruising.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:24 PM

i really have no clue, but i thought i read in an article posted on the org about technically being able to shift without a clutch, but everything has to be perfectly matched up....maybe when you shifting w/o the clutch you are hitting that magical moment
Old 03-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Dev

Originally posted by wrongway15
i really have no clue, but i thought i read in an article posted on the org about technically being able to shift without a clutch, but everything has to be perfectly matched up....maybe when you shifting w/o the clutch you are hitting that magical moment
i have never tried this...but i read that too.
and i have also read that its stupid and useless.
if you rev match perfectly, i think the synchros do the work to match the revs.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:34 PM

Re: Re: Another 5-speed question...

i heard from people that drove 5-speed all their lives that as long as u can match the engine speed with tranny speed, u can shift without using the clutch at all (maybe just some gears i don't know) and as far as for getting the gear into neutral without clutch....once u almost come to a stop and yet not stalling sometimes the shifter just falls out of gear with a touch of a finger force. this happens to me sometimes when i'm in 3rd.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:42 PM

try this, though i dont think it is great for synchros:

1. get up to 30mph or so in 2nd gear.
2. blip the throttle so you feel the acceleration and remove your foot from the throttle
3. as you remove your foot, push the shifter into neutral without the clutch.

magik!
Old 03-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Another 5-speed question...

Originally posted by Kolyan
First off, like others said, there's absolutely no benefit to doing this. And it's easy to screw up, resulting in potential damage.

Still, it's relatively easy, even on a Max. Its a matter of matching engine revs to your speed. When you're slowing down, put a little bit of pressure on the shifter. Depending on the gear you're in, the shifter should drop into neutral with very little pressure when your revs are low enough (usually 1200-1800 rpms--though that's a guess). If you chicken out and don't get the shifter into neutral quick enough, then be prepared to hear some grinding.

I definately don't recommend doing this until you're really comfortable driving stick. It's a lot easier to pull off when you have a "feel" for the car, and there are numerous preferable ways to develop said feel.

theLoon
Old 03-04-2003, 06:07 AM

In order to pull the transmission out of gear and into neutral, you must be costing. By costing I mean not slowing down or speeding up.

When you get completly off the throttle, the car will begin to slow down -- this will by very noticable when in the lower gears -- so it will become difficult to pull the transmission into neutral.

If you can't slip the transmission into neutral without forcibly pulling on the shifter (it should slip into neutral with virtually no resistance), then just give the engine alittle throttle while at the same time gently pulling on the shifter.

When a transmission is transmitting power in either direction, (in other words, if the enging is driving the wheels [acceleration] OR the wheels are driving the engine [deceleration]), the pair of gears that are engaged sort of "lock-together" (sorry, this is a really lame way of describing what's going on) and because they are "locked-together" they can't be easily pulled apart.

That's why I point out that the car must be costing (no acceleration/deceleration) to allow the transmission to slip out of gear easily.

Anyway, I always slip the transmission into neutral when approaching a stop sign or stop light -- each time the trans slips out of gear without using the clucth, is one less time the clutch gets used, that much less wear and tear on the throw-out bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate. Plus it makes for a smoother ride for my passengers.

PS I had the choice between a 5-sp car and an automatice car when I bought my Max -- I am SOOOO happy I got the 5-sp!!

Cheers!

Paul W.

(edits to correct grammer - paw)
Old 03-04-2003, 11:25 AM

the gsr is only a 4, and probably has less engine braking, making it easier to pull out of gear.

if your goal is to put it into nuetral pulling up to a light, this is fine...just time it so there is no load in the tranny...just like PAW kz1k said....he's dead on

as for upshifting without the clutch....you can do this on a motorcycle pretty easy, and its not harmful....its actually less harmfull that people that hold the throttle wide open, push the clutch in, shift, then dump the clutch with the engine bounching off the rev limiter. but clutchless upshifting is all about timing the throttle let off, and executing the shift quickly....i did it for three years racing bikes, but never once got it right in a 5spd car.

if you goal is to shift faster, keep in mind, you don't have to push the clutch to the floor...just push it enough to take load off the drive line. it would help if the maxima tranny were a little more precise, and the throws shorter....but one can only dream
Old 03-04-2003, 12:34 PM

the gsr is only a 4, and probably has less engine braking, making it easier to pull out of gear.

if your goal is to put it into nuetral pulling up to a light, this is fine...just time it so there is no load in the tranny...just like PAW kz1k said....he's dead on

as for upshifting without the clutch....you can do this on a motorcycle pretty easy, and its not harmful....its actually less harmfull that people that hold the throttle wide open, push the clutch in, shift, then dump the clutch with the engine bounching off the rev limiter. but clutchless upshifting is all about timing the throttle let off, and executing the shift quickly....if doen right engine rpm changes are nearly seemless....i did it for three years racing bikes, but never once got it right in a 5spd car.

if you goal is to shift faster, keep in mind, you don't have to push the clutch to the floor...just push it enough to take load off the drive line. it would help if the maxima tranny were a little more precise, and the throws shorter....but one can only dream
Old 03-04-2003, 04:56 PM
The original VQ...

Why the f*ck would you want to do this?? I do not see any benfit from it. It is possible to pull the shifter out of 4th and 5th at very low rpms, like 2000 or less, But there is no point to doing this , your just going to break your car.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by maxspeed96CT
Why the f*ck would you want to do this?? I do not see any benfit from it. It is possible to pull the shifter out of 4th and 5th at very low rpms, like 2000 or less, But there is no point to doing this , your just going to break your car.
the point is to save the useless leg movement and u don't wear out the clutch. you don't break anything if you do it correctly.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Miasma
try this, though i dont think it is great for synchros:

1. get up to 30mph or so in 2nd gear.
2. blip the throttle so you feel the acceleration and remove your foot from the throttle
3. as you remove your foot, push the shifter into neutral without the clutch.

magik!
i repeat this method. it is almost effortless.