4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Idea for filter for in-cabin air circulation

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 08:25 AM

Idea for filter for in-cabin air circulation

I have read how some of you get those floaties and yucky airborne particles when using the A/C or vents. I had my glovebox out yesterday to inspect a few things and I found the intake for the in-cabin air circulation. I played around a little and decided to throw on a makeshift filter, so that when I pressed the horizontal U-turn button to circulate air inside the cabin, I would be able to filter that air.

It was pretty simple. I checked around for all kinds of filters. My main concern was not restricting air flow dramatically. I purchased a set of shop-vac filters (very thin, not porous) that is like a cotton shop towel, you know, those blue ones at the gast station? You can get elaborate with whatever filter you want, but too much filter will decrease air coming out. Anyway, I threw it over the intake ( a white box with 6 or 9 squares I believe. When you turn on the re-circulation, a lever opens the intake under the dash (behind the airbag) and closes the intake outside the drivers side of the top of the hood, just under the wiper) and I love the results. No more flying floaties. While you are at it, you may want to spray some a tad of lysol to disinfect any mildew inside. Too much lysol may cause adverse effects. Anyway, with the intake now filtered, I will have less problems with allergies and the like. I am sure you can use any filter, but keep in mind that there is limited space (the filter I purchased is thinner than cardboard) and you have to jimmy-rig a way to keep it there. When the unit is re-circulating, suction pulls the filter against the intake, so basically you need something so that the filter does not fall down. I used duct tape.

Last comment: To prevent more floaties, turn off the recirculation button when you exit your car. This will close the in-cabin intake vent and prevent outside (most of the dust settles on and behind the dash) dust from settling inside the intake and causing more floaties when you turn the unit back on.

I hope this helps someone like it helped me.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:45 AM

Re: Idea for filter for in-cabin air circulation

Originally posted by cam_honestiam
I have read how some of you get those floaties and yucky airborne particles when using the A/C or vents. I had my glovebox out yesterday to inspect a few things and I found the intake for the in-cabin air circulation. I played around a little and decided to throw on a makeshift filter, so that when I pressed the horizontal U-turn button to circulate air inside the cabin, I would be able to filter that air.

It was pretty simple. I checked around for all kinds of filters. My main concern was not restricting air flow dramatically. I purchased a set of shop-vac filters (very thin, not porous) that is like a cotton shop towel, you know, those blue ones at the gast station? You can get elaborate with whatever filter you want, but too much filter will decrease air coming out. Anyway, I threw it over the intake ( a white box with 6 or 9 squares I believe. When you turn on the re-circulation, a lever opens the intake under the dash (behind the airbag) and closes the intake outside the drivers side of the top of the hood, just under the wiper) and I love the results. No more flying floaties. While you are at it, you may want to spray some a tad of lysol to disinfect any mildew inside. Too much lysol may cause adverse effects. Anyway, with the intake now filtered, I will have less problems with allergies and the like. I am sure you can use any filter, but keep in mind that there is limited space (the filter I purchased is thinner than cardboard) and you have to jimmy-rig a way to keep it there. When the unit is re-circulating, suction pulls the filter against the intake, so basically you need something so that the filter does not fall down. I used duct tape.

Last comment: To prevent more floaties, turn off the recirculation button when you exit your car. This will close the in-cabin intake vent and prevent outside (most of the dust settles on and behind the dash) dust from settling inside the intake and causing more floaties when you turn the unit back on.

I hope this helps someone like it helped me.
Excellent info! I will try this as soon as the London Fog ease up , here in NYC. Thank you.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:46 AM

Sounds like a nice little trick. How do I remove the glovebox so I can get to the recirc. air intake?
Old 05-22-2003, 09:08 AM

The glovebox (mine is a 1998) is very simple to remove. Move passenger sear all the way back. Next, look underneath the glovebox. There are 2 screws at the bottom that hold it to the frame, remove those first. Open the glove box and you will see two screws on each side, and then two more that hold the latch (where the door hooks on to keep the glovebox closed) in place. Remove those four screws. There are two clips attached to the glovebox that keep it in the frame after you remove the screws. Pop those (mine were broken already from previous owner, but no matter: the screws hold it in place just fine) and the entire unit should slide out. There are two wire clusters that are attached to the glovebox: one for the courtesy light, the other for the on/off button that turns the light on when the glovebox is open. Disconnect the courtesy light on the backside of the glove box, and disconnect the switch as well. The glovebox should now be free. Clean it while you are at it....
Now, look up and under the dash and you will see what I am talking about, the white grid with holes. With the key in the ON position, puch the air recirculation button on. This will open then vents, and you can better get an idea of where to go from there. It is tricky to **** your neck up under there, but well worth the clean air.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:12 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

What in the world is a floatie?

If you just keep the outside air intake (by your wipers) clear of debri you wount get all that crud sucked into your HVAC system. I've been blowing the pollen off the intake just as I'm getting into the car. Nothing gets sucked in when the system is initially turned on.