4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Am i missing the ECU check screw!? NEED HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 01:46 PM

Am i missing the ECU check screw!? NEED HELP ASAP!

I just went and poked a hole through the plastic for the screw. But I couldnt see the screw or anything. So i aimlessly poked my screwdriver in there in homes of it getting a hold on the screw. But that didnt go too well. The screwdriver i used is about 3" long, how far out/in is this screw? My screwdriver went all the way in up to the handle. what gives!?

Thanks for reading and hope you could help me out here
Old 08-04-2003, 01:50 PM
Kevlo for President

do u have a 99? if so i read that its a very small white screw if u look down in hte hole
Old 08-04-2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by kevlo911
do u have a 99? if so i read that its a very small white screw if u look down in hte hole
yah, 99 SE-L. small white screw huh... i'll have to try and take a look. But my god man, the position of the hole is so bad. It is so hard to look in there. I'll have to see if i could see the screw. But my screwdriver just went 3inches in and didnt hit anything...
Old 08-04-2003, 02:01 PM
silver99

uhhhh that doesnt sound good.
I have a 99 and have done this before.
its a very small screw nothing like the ones pictured in writeups ive seen. im hoping u didnt snap the thing off. if u have one of those little screwdriver sets (the ones in the blue case with clear lid) the phillips head driver in this set works perfect i bought my set at radio shack. ok enought about that now you need to go jam your head up there next to the ECU and get a good look at this screw, bring a flashlight cause ur gonna need it no matter what time of day it is. Once u get a good look at the screw and have a small enuff screwdriver to turn it ull be ok be very gentle with the screw.

PS. be very gentle with this screw, i cant stress that enough.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by silver99
uhhhh that doesnt sound good.
I have a 99 and have done this before.
its a very small screw nothing like the ones pictured in writeups ive seen. im hoping u didnt snap the thing off. if u have one of those little screwdriver sets (the ones in the blue case with clear lid) the phillips head driver in this set works perfect i bought my set at radio shack. ok enought about that now you need to go jam your head up there next to the ECU and get a good look at this screw, bring a flashlight cause ur gonna need it no matter what time of day it is. Once u get a good look at the screw and have a small enuff screwdriver to turn it ull be ok be very gentle with the screw.

PS. be very gentle with this screw, i cant stress that enough.
okay, i'll just have to try it with a flashlight next time. But that'll be another day, it just started raining

Thanks for the assist all. Hopefully the screwdriver is there intact and undamaged
Old 08-05-2003, 07:54 AM

Finally got to the screw! I was able to see it with a flashlight. The screw was freakin small and didnt really look like a screw until you looked at it closely, and to make it worse, it was crooked. I got the code 0505. So it seems like the computer didnt get any errors.