4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Progress Spring and GR-2 review, also do they settle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Handsome

Progress Spring and GR-2 review, also do they settle?

I just got rid of the Nissan factory 4x4 look 2 nights ago. I put on Progress Springs, GR-2 Struts, KYB Bump Stops, and 1/2 clear vinyle tubing from loews (plumbing section) on the second coil on the top and bottom of each spring (spring isolators, bought 10 feet and there is no noise from the springs, write up can be found on VQpower.com)

I took my time and torqued all bolts to spec, the install was a learning process but was fun and not time consuming (the max has got to be one of the easiest suspension installs there is, it is like they made it to be upgraded), I feel that I could do it now in about an hour and a half with one other person.

First let me say that when I dropped the jack you could definatly see the difference right away, it has a very clean appearence. Then after I drove it I was blown away at how smooth it was. I was expecting a little bouncyness or even some stiffness but the ride is very nice and smooth. The ride is slightly firmer (meaning very slight) but by no means harsh or uncomfortable; on turn ins the car really shines and just hugs the ground. My girl friend commented on how much she liked the look of my car and also said that the ride was nice. She now wants me to put this set up on her 2k2.

I debated for a long time about what springs to get because I was worried about ride quality, the car dropping enough, and most of all would it sit even (I did not want it lower in the back.) All of these fears have been dismissed as I cannot believe that I did not do this sooner. I got this whole suspension set up for about 500.00 and couldn't be happier.

For those of you with Progress Springs did your springs settle? How long did it take? I originally planned to wait a week or two before having the car aligned, any feedback is appreciated.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Kevlo for President

i believe it takes 2 wks for springs to become fully settled

glad the ride is good for you
Old 10-21-2003, 05:16 PM
V^___^V

Old 10-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Handsome

Originally Posted by happyricefob
I KNEW IT!!! It was only a matter of time before this happened. I actually did take pics but have not uploaded them to my car domain sight yet. I am going to take pics of my new SC then I'll put them all up together.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:34 PM
DoGGy

hey man, i want progress too but i heard bad things about it. i hear that the drop is as much as H&R. the ride quality sux and handling is bs. seems like u love it. i want something not too harsh and that gives me a good amount of drop (h&r just doesnt do it for me). u think i should go with progress? how many inches was the drop. whats the wheel gap now? is it obvious that the car has been dropped or is there still big wheel gap there. thx. take some pics man

btw its perfectly even right? in ur post u said taht back isnt sagging.

Old 10-21-2003, 06:00 PM
Handsome

Originally Posted by DoGGy
hey man, i want progress too but i heard bad things about it. i hear that the drop is as much as H&R. the ride quality sux and handling is bs. seems like u love it. i want something not too harsh and that gives me a good amount of drop (h&r just doesnt do it for me). u think i should go with progress? how many inches was the drop. whats the wheel gap now? is it obvious that the car has been dropped or is there still big wheel gap there. thx. take some pics man

btw its perfectly even right? in ur post u said taht back isnt sagging.
I was originally going to go with H&R but while picking up my SC seximaGTR reccomend that I get progress. I wanted a good even drop and a comfortable ride.

Comfort
If you pair these with stock struts or stock bump stops I really can't comment on that, but if you pair them with GR-2's/KYB bubmpstops I can tell you that the ride is very comfortable. It blew me away when my girl friend wanted me to put this on her 2k2, she won't even let me put an intake on it because she doesn't like how loud my car is. She is very big on the car being comfortable so for her to say that the ride is nice should settle any doubts that anyone has about this set up being comfortable.

Handling
The first corner that I took I could tell that these things handle great. I have been very impressed with my Nitto NT555 as far as handling and now these springs have just made my handling lethal. I took a corner yesterday that is very sharp and would make my NT555 slightly bark at 45 (which to make these tires lose traction you are hitting a hard corner, with my Nitto 450's @ 40 it would cause a slight four wheel slide, if you have questions about these PM me, I am very happy with these tires after trying a couple of others) I took it at 50 and the car did not lean and the tires just stuck, I feel confident that I could take it faster, but without having my tires aligned yet I don't want to push it. I felt this was safe because after you drive with this suspension you will know that your car handles so much better. Also a bump on the highway around a corner would about make me dump my pants because my car would float, I took it today and the car just stuck it. I can't tell you how happy I am.

Drop
Before I put the suspension on I did the finger test. In a karate chop position I could fit all four of my fingers and thumb inbetween the fender well and tire (17's with 235/45 rubber.) After dropping the car I can now pinch three of my fingers in the space (this is both front and back, I can assure you that the drop is even as this is what I was most worried about) this is of course before the springs have settled, so I expect an even more dramatic drop, more like two fingers. My girl friend looked out the window and noticed how much better my car looked the morning after I dropped it (she thought that she wouldn't be able to notice a difference.) Again my friend who helped me also commented on how much better it looks/sits. So right when you drop the jacks you are going to have a great looking car, then when it settles it will be perfect.

I am so glad that sexima reccomended these springs. I was originally going with H&R's for comfort but I really can't see how they could be more comfortable than this set up, and I know that progress springs will drop your car a little lower. If you have any other questions please let me know. If you want some feedback in a couple of weeks after I get the alignment and they settle shoot me a PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:30 PM

vqpower.com
Old 10-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This may seem like a stupid question given the name, but are Progress springs progressive-rate?
Old 10-21-2003, 10:44 PM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by Street Reeper
I was originally going to go with H&R but while picking up my SC seximaGTR reccomend that I get progress. I wanted a good even drop and a comfortable ride.

Comfort
If you pair these with stock struts or stock bump stops I really can't comment on that, but if you pair them with GR-2's/KYB bubmpstops I can tell you that the ride is very comfortable. It blew me away when my girl friend wanted me to put this on her 2k2, she won't even let me put an intake on it because she doesn't like how loud my car is. She is very big on the car being comfortable so for her to say that the ride is nice should settle any doubts that anyone has about this set up being comfortable.

Handling
The first corner that I took I could tell that these things handle great. I have been very impressed with my Nitto NT555 as far as handling and now these springs have just made my handling lethal. I took a corner yesterday that is very sharp and would make my NT555 slightly bark at 45 (which to make these tires lose traction you are hitting a hard corner, with my Nitto 450's @ 40 it would cause a slight four wheel slide, if you have questions about these PM me, I am very happy with these tires after trying a couple of others) I took it at 50 and the car did not lean and the tires just stuck, I feel confident that I could take it faster, but without having my tires aligned yet I don't want to push it. I felt this was safe because after you drive with this suspension you will know that your car handles so much better. Also a bump on the highway around a corner would about make me dump my pants because my car would float, I took it today and the car just stuck it. I can't tell you how happy I am.

Drop
Before I put the suspension on I did the finger test. In a karate chop position I could fit all four of my fingers and thumb inbetween the fender well and tire (17's with 235/45 rubber.) After dropping the car I can now pinch three of my fingers in the space (this is both front and back, I can assure you that the drop is even as this is what I was most worried about) this is of course before the springs have settled, so I expect an even more dramatic drop, more like two fingers. My girl friend looked out the window and noticed how much better my car looked the morning after I dropped it (she thought that she wouldn't be able to notice a difference.) Again my friend who helped me also commented on how much better it looks/sits. So right when you drop the jacks you are going to have a great looking car, then when it settles it will be perfect.

I am so glad that sexima reccomended these springs. I was originally going with H&R's for comfort but I really can't see how they could be more comfortable than this set up, and I know that progress springs will drop your car a little lower. If you have any other questions please let me know. If you want some feedback in a couple of weeks after I get the alignment and they settle shoot me a PM.
thanks for the great info. i guess imma go with progress too. i might get agx or illuminas. dont know about that yet.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:52 PM

I love my Progress/AGX setup. Its amazingly smooth, and handles great. Drop is perfect, not too low, and you still tell its dropped.

Ive had mine on for about 6 months now, and let me tell you, it wont settle THAT much. 1/2 finger gap is all. My dads 95 has B&G and AGX's, ride is about the same, but his sits SLIGHTY lower, and is an AUTO so it sits even. B&G's would given me a sag cause im 5spd and stereo in trunk. Progress gives a perfect drop on 5spd and me stereo. I have pics of it not long after it was on on my homepage.

Great springs though, I love the ride. Its very smooth, and handling....well I cant complain one bit!
Old 10-22-2003, 12:12 AM

They wont settle too much. They're not supposed to unless they are cheap springs. TEIN S.Techs don't settle too much and if they do, TEIN sends you a new set. Anyway, the GR2's should last you a good long time, though I recommend upgrading to AGX's if you have the funds.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:01 AM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by Jr'sMaxima
I love my Progress/AGX setup. Its amazingly smooth, and handles great. Drop is perfect, not too low, and you still tell its dropped.

Ive had mine on for about 6 months now, and let me tell you, it wont settle THAT much. 1/2 finger gap is all. My dads 95 has B&G and AGX's, ride is about the same, but his sits SLIGHTY lower, and is an AUTO so it sits even. B&G's would given me a sag cause im 5spd and stereo in trunk. Progress gives a perfect drop on 5spd and me stereo. I have pics of it not long after it was on on my homepage.

Great springs though, I love the ride. Its very smooth, and handling....well I cant complain one bit!

got any close up pics? my TWIN

Old 10-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Handsome

Originally Posted by USDM-A32
They wont settle too much. They're not supposed to unless they are cheap springs. TEIN S.Techs don't settle too much and if they do, TEIN sends you a new set. Anyway, the GR2's should last you a good long time, though I recommend upgrading to AGX's if you have the funds.
Alright it is now the 4th day and the springs are at the same ride heigth which is about three fingers. After measuring my hand all fingers and thumb straight across my palm (which is what the stock gap was) was at 4 inches, with three fingers (the gap that is there now with the after market springs and shocks) it is 2 inches. So I would say the advertised drop of 1.7 inches is about right on. However it does not give it to much of a lowered look, it only looks like it should from the factory. In comparison I measured the gap of an Rx-8 which was a little more than three fingers, a BMW 745i which was a hair over three fingers, and a BMW 3 series which was at 2 fingers. I think a 2 finger drop would be perfect but this is probably better for overall drivability and easier on my CV joints and camber (I also am looking to just clean up what Nissan should have, not really giving it a modified look.) I am very happy with this set up because it looks so much better, the ride quality is great, and the handling is awesome.

However if you are really looking to slam your max these are not the springs to get. I hope to have pics soon which I will post.