4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hyperwhite H3 (55W/65W) bulbs keep burning out... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 02:19 AM

Hyperwhite H3 (55W/65W) bulbs keep burning out... what to do?

Hi guys, this is my first time posting. Anyways, a few months ago, I bought hyperwhite H3 bulbs (55W/65W, 5200k Xenons) from Eurodezigns. But after about a week or two, they burnt out. Eurodezigns (www.eurodezigns.com) has a lifetime warrenty on them so I kept sending them back (with $5.95 shipping and handling) and got them replaced. But they still keep burning out within a couple of weeks. Also, I noticed that the H3's weren't perfectly white like my Hyperwhite 9004 from Eurodezigns (those work fine); the 55W H3's were brighter than the stock bulbs but still have a tint of yellow. However, the last time, Eurodezigns send me 85W bulbs and they were really white... but they only lasted two days.

Help me out you guys. I am always careful not to scratch or touch the bulbs during installation. Do you guys have the same problem? Also, I've noticed that on some of the pics in this forum, there are stock foglights that seem perfectly white.... what kind of H3 bulbs are you guys using?
Old 10-23-2003, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by doug1c
Hi guys, this is my first time posting. Anyways, a few months ago, I bought hyperwhite H3 bulbs (55W/65W, 5200k Xenons) from Eurodezigns. But after about a week or two, they burnt out. Eurodezigns (www.eurodezigns.com) has a lifetime warrenty on them so I kept sending them back (with $5.95 shipping and handling) and got them replaced. But they still keep burning out within a couple of weeks. Also, I noticed that the H3's weren't perfectly white like my Hyperwhite 9004 from Eurodezigns (those work fine); the 55W H3's were brighter than the stock bulbs but still have a tint of yellow. However, the last time, Eurodezigns send me 85W bulbs and they were really white... but they only lasted two days.

Help me out you guys. I am always careful not to scratch or touch the bulbs during installation. Do you guys have the same problem? Also, I've noticed that on some of the pics in this forum, there are stock foglights that seem perfectly white.... what kind of H3 bulbs are you guys using?
It's pretty simple, any higher than stock wattage bulb will burn out when placed in those small fog enclosures. They just get too hot. There's no way around it. Have to find some bulbs that are stock wattage.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:30 AM

Back in 2001 when I 1st bought my Max, I used to buy H3 hyperwhites all the time before they got so typical and "riced out". I used to have a brand called KMAX, I had them in H3 and 9004's, both at the stock wattage. I tend to realize that the H3 bulbs will always blow out because of road vibrations in the stock foglight housings. I just went back to the stock H3's and picked up a set of HIDs from www.misterjung.com. Hyperwhites are known as "rice" because they are just blue painted bulbs and they decrease the amount of actual light on the road compared to the stock lights. Your H3's and 9004 might not match because of the amount of dye or paint that is on the bulbs, one could be less thick. Anyway, save up the money and get a set of HIDs, the brightness is superior and it'll pay itself off in the long run from not dishing out money for hyperwhite replacments.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by doug1c

Simple solution, stop buying bulbs from Eurodezigns. Buy Sylvanias, Philips or Osram and they'll last you for years.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:21 PM

What are other people using for their H3 fogs? Are the philips or sylvanias ones stable? HIDs are too expensive for me. All I want are white fogs that won't burn out.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:40 PM

I Had Piaa Wtih The Silver Coated Lens For Over Year, Stock Wattage.they Put Out A Nice White Light.the Best H3 I Have Bought
Old 10-24-2003, 04:27 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

PIAA H3's last a long time.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:44 AM
ivelweyz

Originally Posted by drewm
It's pretty simple, any higher than stock wattage bulb will burn out when placed in those small fog enclosures. They just get too hot. There's no way around it. Have to find some bulbs that are stock wattage.
That has nothing to do with it since our stock fog lights are 55/65...