4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

coil packs 5 and 6 are dieing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

coil packs 5 and 6 are dieing

I took my car into the dealer to have them find out wtf is going on with my car.

they did some tests and 5 is spiking voltage bad and 6 almost as bad, 1 - 4 are great. They said it would be around 350 to replace them.

A guy i work with is a max freak and has offered to help me replace them, I call a junkyard and they want 45 a piece for used ones.

I saw an auction for a set of used ones for 41, (all six)

Now, I paid for an extended warranty, but they will not pay to fix the car until packs 5 and 6 are dead, completely dead.. this seem so to me to be utter BS....

should I raise hell with dealership, demand they repair my car, go to junkyard/ebay/oem and get the packs and replace them with help?
Old 01-09-2004, 01:39 PM
The original VQ...

is it a small private dealership or a large nissan dealship. If its a large dealership Id raise hell and say i want my warent money back and threaton with court or that you will file a claim with your dmv. no dealer ship wants that and in your case it sounds like they will loose.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

New coil packs at Courtesy Nissan run about $58 a piece.

Used coil packs at a junk yard shouldn't cost more than $25
If you go the used route, make sure there not from a 99 maxima. Theres alot of problems with the 99 coils.

I'd bet after you replace those 2 coils, others will be soon failing.

Coil packs are very easy to change, max. 30 min. to change them all.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Kevlo for President

you should check the coils
To Test the Ignition Coils
With the ignition off, disconnect the electrical connector from the ignition coil. Connect the positive (+) probe of an ohmmeter to terminal no. 1 and the negative (-) probe to terminal no. 2 of the coil connector - the meter should inditcate infinite resistance. Reverse the meter leads( negative probe to terminal no. 1 and positive probe to terminal no.2) - the continutiy should be indicated, but not zero ohms. If hte results are not as specifed, replace the coil.
Connect an ohmmeter between the secondary terminal ( the one that hte spark plug connects to) and terminal no. 1 - the meter should indicate infinite resistance. If not, replace the coil.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by emCee-ig
I took my car into the dealer to have them find out wtf is going on with my car.

they did some tests and 5 is spiking voltage bad and 6 almost as bad, 1 - 4 are great. They said it would be around 350 to replace them.

A guy i work with is a max freak and has offered to help me replace them, I call a junkyard and they want 45 a piece for used ones.

I saw an auction for a set of used ones for 41, (all six)

Now, I paid for an extended warranty, but they will not pay to fix the car until packs 5 and 6 are dead, completely dead.. this seem so to me to be utter BS....

should I raise hell with dealership, demand they repair my car, go to junkyard/ebay/oem and get the packs and replace them with help?

i would definetly raise some hell... if i paid for a warenty, i want sh*t on my car to fixed when it is broken! make them understand that if your car is misfiring, then it needs to be fixed before something else goes wrong because of it. it is their duty to fix it as long as it is covered.

freakin nissan.

-Chris
Old 01-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by fisher01
New coil packs at Courtesy Nissan run about $58 a piece.

Coil packs are very easy to change, max. 30 min. to change them all.

The dealer by me sells them for $47.99 and install is only a few minutes. My #6 died on me two weeks ago. The $350 you were quoted is a complete rip-off.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:43 PM

Someone posted on the board the other day that they paid $1200 to a dealer to change the coils. Now thats really a ripoff.

The mult-meter test for our coils is not accurate. I have 3 coils which test perfectly, but put them in the car and they will misfire.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Since I own a 99, I'm buying all new coils as soon as I can find a really good deal. It seems like it's only a matter of time
Old 01-09-2004, 09:05 PM

njmaxseltd
which dealership is this?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:51 PM

What is the driving symptom of a dying -- but not dead -- coil pack? Would it be an obvious hesitation in power or something more subtle?
Old 01-10-2004, 05:26 AM
be the change u want2C

I say you buy all 6, tell them that 99's have coil issues and its better to replace them all asap. Get Mitsubishi ones I think, is it the Mitsu ones that are 98 and under? well if you do buy make sure there all from a 98 & under, casue 99-03 have a issue that should be recalled but Nissan is Blah
Old 01-10-2004, 09:54 AM

Well that sucks, I hope mine dont go out. Will I definatley know when they are going bad, like backfiring or something? Or will I just lose power?

-concered 99 max owner

Old 01-11-2004, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ohannon7
Well that sucks, I hope mine dont go out. Will I definatley know when they are going bad, like backfiring or something? Or will I just lose power?

-concered 99 max owner

When mine were going out, my engine would 'pop' at WOT. I also noticed that my engine was running really sluggish. On top of that it also caused knocking at stop lights on my auto.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by emCee-ig

does your "extended warranty" require a deposit ?
usually it's $50 each time so you'll be better off just getting two good used ones, unless the price of new ones are like $100 each.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:05 AM

Ok,

took the car to a friends house, he has a 97 max,

I started with the easy one, coil 6, it tested as dieing, so i replaced, it, got on the interstate and punched it, it histated but not as bad, then i get the blinks SES light,, misfire..

i replace the back coil, # 5, get on interstate. Bam, drives like it did the day i drove it off the lot.

Should I raise hell with the dealership (Ted Russell Nissan - Knoxville TN http://www.tedrussellnissan.com/en_US/ (generic Nissan affiliate site) demanding they replace both of them free of charge (not free, im paying enough for extd warranty) or should I tell them to replace all six?

And switching these things out is NOT a problem, it is ridiculously easy, im surprised they wanted that much in labor when they dont charge half that to replace all six plugs
Old 01-12-2004, 11:19 AM

I got quoted $700 to do at local Nissan dealer. I almost started crying right there.

About the dealer, go in there and make an *** of yourself. I used to work at a dealership and that would get people to do what they wanted done. Preferably go in through showroom and on a Saturday about 1 or so. It should be packed with folks. If they refuse, start telling people that they aren't good at customer service, and not to buy a warranty. Dealerships make nice chunk of change with warranties, which usually aren't used as much since people don't keep their cars long enough. The problems that the warranty would cover aren't til later in the car's life, and lots are covered under manufacturer's warranty (3-36 or 5-60). I say raise hell. I would.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:01 PM

I have api. I brought it with with the max 3 years ago. You have to be on top of those guys Dealer and warranty, both. They nitpic about every little thing and if they for some reason decied not to pay after the fact you start getting collection calls from the shop you got the work done. I had to go through that mess with pep boys.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:49 PM
wat

Uh oh, maybe thats what that jerking/knocking noise is about when im at a stoplight with my auto sometimes.... What are the main symptoms?? Is this covered under the powertrain warranty? I have a little bit of it left and want to pinpoint the problem before its too late, and yes, im good at making a scene, if they try to rip me off, I will **** with them big time. (dealership that is)
Old 01-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Coil #6 went bad on my 1999 at 72k miles back in the summer. I just replaced the one and now I'm at 84k and no further issues (knock on wood). I don't buy into the theory that once one goes it will "cause" the others to go as well.

I have spare front and rear coils though, so in case another goes bad I've got them handy.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=215215
Old 01-18-2004, 06:12 AM

Dealerships want your $$$ and.... Nothing else.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:47 PM
wat

Well I got like 2-3 months left on my powertrain warranty, is ther anyway I can go down there (Dealership) and have them replace the coil packs that are probably going to die sooner or later? Ive noticed the starting symptoms lately, and I want to replace them before I have to start forking out cash to replace them.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by BlueC
Well I got like 2-3 months left on my powertrain warranty, is ther anyway I can go down there (Dealership) and have them replace the coil packs that are probably going to die sooner or later? Ive noticed the starting symptoms lately, and I want to replace them before I have to start forking out cash to replace them.

I wouldn't think coil packs are a covered item under thepowertrain warranty.