4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do 4th Gen Maximas (auto) have a transmission filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 07:05 AM

Do 4th Gen Maximas (Auto) have a transmission filter? The Haynes repair manual (p 1-25) recommends changing the filter when the fluid is changed. Is it a screen or filter? and does it need to be changed/cleaned when the fluid is changed? This manual covers 3rd and 4th gen Maximas so I am assuming that it is referring to both of them when it states this.

I am going to have my transmission fluid changed soon, the garage uses a T-TECH machine which I believe does what the magic sucker pump (Recommended by D.B. Martin) does...sucks all of the old fluid out of the transmission and replaces it with the new stuff. From what I was told this machine taps into the transmission lines that go to the radiator. It then uses the natural forch of the transmission fluid in circulation to clean and remove the old fluid while pumping in new fluid.

This procedure is supposed to clean the transmission and change the fluid without ever opening up the transmission. The Haynes maunal refers to 2 magnets in the pan that cache small metal particles that should be cleaned. Will they be cleaned if the pan using this machine? Are there any disadvantages to this kind of sucker pump procedure?
Old 03-06-2001, 07:54 AM

A long-winded discussion

Originally posted by VQMaxSE
... Is it a screen or filter? and does it need to be changed/cleaned when the fluid is changed? ...
It's just a screen. No, it does not require cleaning or replacement.

This procedure is supposed to clean the transmission and change the fluid without ever opening up the transmission. ...
This may be an overstatement. A pump does not necessarily "clean the transmission". What it does is replace all of the used fluid with new fluid. That's better than a driveway "drain and refill" which replaces only half of the fluid. However the pump may be used with a special cleaning fluid to clean the transmission internals. That's an additional service provided at extra cost to the consumer.

... The Haynes maunal refers to 2 magnets in the pan that cache small metal particles that should be cleaned. Will they be cleaned if the pan using this machine? ...
This depends on the type of machine used. In previous posts I have used the facetious term Magic Sucker Pump to describe all varieties of transmission flushing machine. Several companies make them, and they are not all alike. Some are "line machines" which connect to the transmission cooler lines. Others are "flange machines" which attach to the transmission filter (or screen) flange. To learn more about these machines, go to http://www.motorservice.net/ms/archi...600/0600tf.asp. Be aware this article was written by Bob Freudenberger for the service professional rather than the consumer. For a picture of a flange machine, scroll down to the picture of <font color='blue'>AutoTool's Total Transmission Service machine</font>. Flushing with a flange machine requires removing the transmission pan so it will probably cost more, but the "up side" is that the technician has access to those magnets and should clean them. It's up to you to make sure he does.

... Are there any disadvantages to this kind of sucker pump procedure?
Higher cost than the driveway "drain and refill" fluid change. However, if you do your own "wrenching" don't reject the driveway technique.

My Maxima is a 5-speed so the issue of ATF change does not apply. I maintain a Honda Accord for a family member. On that car I do a drain-and-refill ATF change with every oil change. It is not a big deal, as the car is already up on jackstands and my hands are already dirty. This costs about US$8/year in ATF and the car is always running on almost-new ATF.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:26 AM

I would strongly recommend that you do NOT attempt to change the screen. The screen is held in place by cap head screws except in one location, Nissan used a bolt with a nut. If you remove the the screen, you will have to remove the valve body the tighten this nut and bolt. You really don't want to mess with the valve body unless you know what you are doing.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:34 AM

Cap screws

Originally posted by sinewave
I would strongly recommend that you do NOT attempt to change the screen. The screen is held in place by cap head screws ...
Yes, and those cap screws are of three different-but-similar lengths so you must to be really careful to not mix them up.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:35 AM

When I had my transmission fluid changed last time, I did have my filter changed. The guy at AAMCO said that most Maximas don't have a filter to change. But when he did mine, however, he did find one. My Maxima is a 95 auto purchased in 94. Perhaps a screen was used in the later models.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:36 AM

Informative article on "magic sucker pumps." The machine my local garage uses is a T-TECH which attatches to the coolant lines. The cost is $69 so I guess I can pay them extra to clean the magnets or just leave them alone. Any recomendation?

The article stated "and now are getting them to dump the old brake fluid every couple of years to avoid a megabucks ABS problems" How often should a brake fluid flush be performed?

Thanks for the reply Daniel Martin, from what I have read on this forum, you seem be very knowledgable about cars...were you ever a mechanic?
Old 03-06-2001, 08:54 AM

The only way to clean the magnets is to drop the pan. If you already have the pan off, then clean them but I wouldn't take the pan off just for this; once they have captured metal particles, they won't be re-released in the fluid.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:55 AM

I would strongly recommend that you do NOT attempt to change the screen.
Thanks for the advice sinewave. I just wanted to know if it had a screen or filter and if it needed to be changed. From D.B. Martins reply I realized that I have a screen and that it should be fine with sucker pump service. If it needed to be done I would probably have had the garage do it. I do easy stuff myself, oil, filters, plugs, etc but I don't have any experience with transmissions. All I know is that they are expensive to work on and I don't want to break mine!
Old 03-06-2001, 09:11 AM

If you already have the pan off, then clean them but I wouldn't take the pan off just for this
In the article "Another Look at Transmission Flushing"
by Bob Freudenberger
http://www.motorservice.net/ms/archi...600/0600tf.asp
"Some people say you can just use the machine and avoid the trouble of removing and cleaning the pan and replacing the filter. We beg to disagree. In the first place, it would be thoroughly uncraftsmanlike not to pull the pan to both clean out the heavy residue no amount of flushing will remove, and to see what's in there--shavings and big pieces of clutch material are an indication of a terminal condition"

I'm considering paying the extra money and having them remove the pan to clean it. My 97 SE has almost 60K miles on it. Any opinions?
Old 03-06-2001, 09:44 AM

Just do the whole thing when you get the Valvebody upgrade. You have to pull the pan and the screen anyway. Save big $$$$ and do it at once, ALL in about 2-3 hours.

Don
Old 03-06-2001, 09:53 AM

Any idea on when you will be offering the Valve Body mod again Don? and what the price will be? I'm mostly concerned with extending the life of my tranny, the performance increase would just be an additional benefit. Is there any proof that a VB upgrade extends the service life of the tranny? I don't have a lot of knowlegde when it comes to transmissions but I hope to keep this car for a long time without spending a fortune in repairs. One of the reasons I bought it was because of it's reliability.
Old 03-06-2001, 09:59 AM

Any idea on when you will be offering the Valve Body mod again Don? and what the price will be? I have almost 60K on the car now and I'd like to service the tranny soon.

I'm mostly concerned with extending the life of my tranny, the performance increase would just be an additional benefit. Is there any proof that a VB upgrade extends the service life of the tranny? I don't have a lot of knowlegde when it comes to transmissions but I hope to keep this car for a long time without spending a fortune in repairs. One of the reasons I bought it was because of it's reliability.

Do you think a person who mainly does easy repairs/maintenance (eg oil, filters, brakes, plugs, etc) would be able to replace the VB?
Old 03-06-2001, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by VQMaxSE
... I guess I can pay them extra to clean the magnets or just leave them alone. Any recomendation?
Just leave them alone.

... The article stated "and now are getting them to dump the old brake fluid every couple of years to avoid a megabucks ABS problems" How often should a brake fluid flush be performed?
Nissan does not include brake fluid replacement in any scheduled maintenance. If you have ABS I suggest you replace brake fluid every 2-3 years. If not, don't bother. Some car makers (Honda, for example) require periodic brake fluid replacement, so it's not a bad idea.

... Thanks for the reply Daniel Martin, from what I have read on this forum, you seem be very knowledgable about cars...were you ever a mechanic?
I've never "twisted wrenches" for a living, but I have enormous respect for the people who do. It's a demanding vocation, and under-appreciated by the general public.
Old 03-06-2001, 12:19 PM

:)

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Just do the whole thing when you get the Valvebody upgrade. You have to pull the pan and the screen anyway. Save big $$$$ and do it at once, ALL in about 2-3 hours.

Don
Exactly what I did.. then did the motor oil/filter the following week. I did use some $2/bottle + 4/bottle ATF, when i hit another 2-3k miles, im gonna change it out for better fluids.. tho there will always be old atf in there unless i do the pump thing..