4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Test pipe to replace cat? or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 01:03 PM

oh, I think it smells great...and loves what it does for the smog...ha ha
Old 02-25-2004, 02:22 PM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by ohannon7

what I was trying to say is: If you have 2 pipes the same length and same diamater, How does 1 make you gain HP and 1 make you lose HP. The only real difference between the 2 is the Cat has porcelon inside it.....
Cat has a fine mesh screen over both ends...so flow would be less than a test pipe. Maybe not 'much' less than a test pipe but there is definitely a restriction in flow.
(my stock cat had the mesh screen anyway...)
*shrug*
Old 02-25-2004, 02:24 PM

hmmm...interesting...
Old 02-25-2004, 03:48 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yea...little piece of mesh. One doesnt make you "lose" power. A high flow cat gives better power than the stock cat (barely any) and the race/test pipe will give better power than the after market car (barely any). The restriction of flow is the emissions crap, and especially if you already put on an aftermarket Y pipe, it just isnt that smart to get a race pipe. If you are boosted, you may see more advantages, but around 2whp, for a not so cheap mod, that is bad for the environment, and will screw your chances of passing emissions testing?

where is the point
Old 02-26-2004, 09:08 AM

Yea, I'm not sure about the group buy discount for the high flow cat. Dallas just mentioned it to me and that he'd give me the deal, I think he said it ended around the 17th or was near end. Not sure though. But I remember him saying they lost 4 hp with test pipe...compared to stock cat. And had a very small gain with high flow cat. You'll need backpressure unless u have forced induction. I still can see through the high flow cat when I hold it up. Not very much but a little. Where as the test pipes are hollow for the most part. Call warpspeed and he'll talk to ya for almost an hour about test pipes and cat converters...he told me he'd sell me the test pipe and if I don't like it, he'll take full purchase back toward the high flow cat. That made me trust him about the cat.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:26 AM

I have to say that he is a good guy to deal with. He really wants to earn people's business. I just bought y-pipe from him, and he was more than helpful....a step ahead. Props to Warpspeed Performance!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:09 PM

Major props to WSP. I bought a Y Pipe and a High flow cat. CHEAPNESS! these guys are great. Im glad i found the deal.. I was going to buy budget.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:57 PM

hey just wondering about this, why couldnt you just get a metal rod and knock all of the stuff out of the cat. you have a test pipe now, it looks like your legal but does the same function as a test pipe and it costs u 0 dollars!!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:38 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by 69amixam
hey just wondering about this, why couldnt you just get a metal rod and knock all of the stuff out of the cat. you have a test pipe now, it looks like your legal but does the same function as a test pipe and it costs u 0 dollars!!
thats called gutting the cat....
Old 02-26-2004, 09:45 PM

ok thanks for the specific term but that doesnt answer my question?!?! why dont people do it?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:47 PM
SXN

because...its stupid. you are left with a big hollow piece of tubing...it would be very loud, pass through all the emissions crap, and smell awful (like a dead catalytic converter...rotten eggs 24/7)
Old 02-26-2004, 09:57 PM

i have had friends who have done it... you can wash it out and get rid of the sulfur smell, and how would it be any diff than buying a test pipe, they are mostly doing it for the noise anyway. there are many people out there that do it on other cars its cheap easy and gets the job done i dont see how u can call it stupid. maybe just ignorance.....
Old 02-26-2004, 10:19 PM
SXN

i have had friends who have done it... you can wash it out and get rid of the sulfur smell, and how would it be any diff than buying a test pipe
think of the cat. its wide and hollow inside. think of a test pipe...skinny piece of pipe, normal exhaust diameter. think of the differences

maybe just ignorance.....
yea, ignorance sums it up pretty well
Old 02-26-2004, 10:23 PM

i would guarantee that there is little to no difference in performance with having a test pipe and a slightly wider cat, its not going to hinder flow much if any. think of a better argument be4 you put your foot in your mouth
Old 02-26-2004, 10:42 PM
SXN

i would guarantee that there is little to no difference in performance with having a test pipe and a slightly wider cat, its not going to hinder flow much if any. think of a better argument be4 you put your foot in your mouth
bahahaha...learn your place.

did i mention a performance difference? no, read my post

additionally, the power you would gain from gutting the cat would be so little you would never feel it, and not even notice the gains on a dyno. temp change alone would eliminate any hopes of noticing the difference.

so if the performance "gain" of a hollowed cat is so minimal, how can you argue (and get all snippity) about the difference between test pipe and gutted cat?

if you actually use your brain, think about the resistance. high exhaust flow, either met by a smooth section of pipe OR, a big hollow emtpy section of piping...mid stream too. you think MY argument if flawed? well then why were you asking me questions to begin with?
Old 02-26-2004, 11:01 PM

[QUOTE=SXN]think of the cat. its wide and hollow inside. think of a test pipe...skinny piece of pipe, normal exhaust diameter. think of the differences

first of all my place is sure as heck not under you, and my only flaw was arguing with a jack a$$. i was never arguing that there would be any performance diff in the first place. it was not until u posted " think of the differences" that i began even talking about performance diff. i assumed you were talking about performance differences here b/c what else could there be? um... sound...prob not, looks... who care its under your car, what is left? its a freaking 1-2 ft pipe and there is not going to be very much diff in any applocation between this and buying a test pipe. i was asking people on the org there opinions as to why they didnt do this and save some money. not for someone to tell me its "stupid" and "will smell funny" and "will be loud"(which from what i read is a big reason why you would get a test pipe... for a louder exhaust) i am not an idiot and resent being treated like one, i had a logical ques that didnt need a smart a$$ remark
Old 02-27-2004, 07:35 AM

I don't think SXN was trying to get smart, but didn't want a NEWBIE to get on here and tell him he is right or wrong. It is one thing to post opinions when you are new, but to flat out say things.....nuh uh.

I have to stand behind SXN on this one just because he is right about the test pipe--worthless! He has helped me on a lot of other things too (thanks SXN).

I am not hating on you though, 69amixam. I am just trying to tell you why I think SXN probably got defensive. K?

Also, when you said...."b/c what else could there be? um...sound...prob not..."--it makes a big difference in the sound of the exhaust. that cat helps muffler more. I have asked a lot of people that actually have the test pipe and they say it is louder. Just to throw that out there.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:27 AM
^ Jeff™

I haven't heard a sound difference whatsoever...
Old 02-27-2004, 11:35 AM
SXN

so im right? exactly

you gotta read the whole post man before you freak out.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:04 PM
^ Jeff™

Well...the sound difference might be more 'pronounced' without a cone-filter intake. All the noise from my car comes from under the hood...it pretty much overpowers any other noises.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:32 PM

I think that is why I will stick with my stock airbox. I might hack it a little bit, but not a lot. I don't want to have to keep turning the radio up on accound of the loudness of my car.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:37 PM

a test pipe increases your exhaust sound, and probly changes it too. The smell changes too. I have a testpipe, theres no rotten eggs smell. If you car is at high rpms the car behind you smells STRONG gasoline. So, when you beat someone in a race they get to smell your cars power.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Old Maxima Legend

the stock cat we have is pretty free flowing is it not ? versus a test pipe. I have used both and I have found 2 things.

1. a test pipe will make your exhaust note more raspy/metallic at WOT versus stock cat.
2. On an all motor maxima there are NO gains.

The averages in blue for each date combined 7-9 passes. And you can see that as my clutch and tranny continued to kick the bucket on me, i was only .010 off and on my best pass of the night for each date, with worse 60 foot I was able to match the best time with stock cat versus the test pipe.

I dont know about you but the test pipe IMO is not worth 10 dollars, and is presently being sold on some sites for 99 dollars. For another 18 dollars you can buy the gaskets which i dont recommend either. I blew them out after 3 passes down a 1/4 mile track and had to have them replaced.

The test pipe I have is the custom maxima one. On a positive note, if you are a weight reduction freak, the test pipe is lighter than the stock cat, im guessing 4 or 5 lbs.

my vote is easily for the stock cat
Old 06-12-2004, 02:59 PM
UCF Lexus

Do not, I repeat do NOT get one.

-Your gas mileage will turn to shiit
-Your ECU will throw codes
-It'll sound like shiit
-No gains
-Not worth $$
Old 06-12-2004, 03:33 PM

For those who have got a custom job on the catback/testpipe/b-pipe/resonator, how are the welds holding up? I had a custom job done and I had to go back numerous times because of exhaust leaks due to crappy welds? How would you know if a shop did good welds? Any recommendations here?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:11 AM

Not sure.
Mine seem to be holding up pretty well.