4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just installed Vibrant FSTB

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 08:32 PM

Today I went to a local rental shop and was looking for a torque wrench. The guy at the rental shop wanted $15 Canadian for 1 days use. I then went to Sears and bought one for $25 and a 19mm bit for $8. Luckily, just before I left Sears I checked to make sure the bit would fit on the bolts. To my surprise it didn't so I returned it and got a 23mm which fit but was a little loose. Does anyone know the exact size of the bolt for a '99 Maxima? I've already installed the FSTB but I'm going to return the bit tommorrow. I'll be posting up some pics of the bracket that I cutt off and the FSTB.
Old 03-17-2001, 09:10 AM

22mm or 7/8-inch

Originally posted by Nathan
Today I went to a local rental shop and was looking for a torque wrench. The guy at the rental shop wanted $15 Canadian for 1 days use. I then went to Sears and bought one for $25 and a 19mm bit for $8. Luckily, just before I left Sears I checked to make sure the bit would fit on the bolts. To my surprise it didn't so I returned it and got a 23mm which fit but was a little loose. Does anyone know the exact size of the bolt for a '99 Maxima? I've already installed the FSTB but I'm going to return the bit tommorrow. I'll be posting up some pics of the bracket that I cutt off and the FSTB.
Those big acorn nuts on the '99 are 22mm. You will also find that a 7/8-inch socket is a perfect fit.
Old 03-17-2001, 09:17 AM

Re: 22mm or 7/8-inch

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Those big acorn nuts on the '99 are 22mm. You will also find that a 7/8-inch socket is a perfect fit.
Nathan said he had to cut a bracket. I don't recall you saying that did any cutting, only that you had to replace the acorn nut with regular hex nuts. Is it just the vibrant bar that is different from the courtesy?
Old 03-17-2001, 01:39 PM

That annoying bracket

Originally posted by ezemax99se
Nathan said he had to cut a bracket. I don't recall you saying that did any cutting, only that you had to replace the acorn nut with regular hex nuts. Is it just the vibrant bar that is different from the courtesy?
I have no information about the Vibrant bar. I installed the Courtesy bar in a '99 and the end plate had a notch which cleared that annoying bracket.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:29 AM

Re: Re: 22mm or 7/8-inch

ezemax, the Vibrant FSTB doesn't have a notch like the Courtesy FSTB so if you have a '99 max you have to cutt of the bracket on the driver side strut tower. The bracket blocks the end bracket from sitting on the strut tower. However, with the Vibrant FSTB you don't have to worry about the acorn nuts brocking the bolt for the end bracket. The reason why I bought the Vibrant over the Courtesy is that it costed me only $50 Canadian without shipping, whereas the Courtesy bar would cost me $70US plus shipping and duties. And as everyone knows the value of our dollar compared to the US is almost half.
Old 03-18-2001, 09:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: 22mm or 7/8-inch

Originally posted by Nathan

ezemax, the Vibrant FSTB doesn't have a notch like the Courtesy FSTB so if you have a '99 max you have to cutt of the bracket on the driver side strut tower. The bracket blocks the end bracket from sitting on the strut tower. However, with the Vibrant FSTB you don't have to worry about the acorn nuts brocking the bolt for the end bracket. The reason why I bought the Vibrant over the Courtesy is that it costed me only $50 Canadian without shipping, whereas the Courtesy bar would cost me $70US plus shipping and duties. And as everyone knows the value of our dollar compared to the US is almost half.
Thanks for the info Nathan. I just ordered the vibrant from Streetbeat yesterday. It should be here by the end of the week. Did you get much more pickup after installing the Ractive intake? I plan on going with the JWT cone intake. Also, how is the FSTB working out? Can you tell much difference? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2001, 10:36 AM

where is streetbeat in canada?
Old 03-18-2001, 10:57 AM

costcowholesale:: there's a store on Kennedy/Lawrence called Performance Improvements that sells the Vibrant FSTB for $50CDN.
Old 03-18-2001, 11:02 AM

so I'll need a torque wrench and a saw to cut the bracket off? what about rear antiroll bars can I get them there?
Old 03-18-2001, 07:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 22mm or 7/8-inch

Thanks for the info Nathan. I just ordered the vibrant from Streetbeat yesterday. It should be here by the end of the week. Did you get much more pickup after installing the Ractive intake? I plan on going with the JWT cone intake. Also, how is the FSTB working out? Can you tell much difference? Thanks.
ezemax, I actually bought the Ractive intake because it would save me money because Nissan charges quite a lot for there replacement filters which are very restrictive. After I installed it, I found a very slight change in performance. The biggest improvement is at higher rpm's, however if I had the extra money to spend I would definetly buy the JWT pop charger. My biggest surprise from the Ractive intake was the increase in noise at takeoff which is pretty neat.

Yesturday my dad and I were on the highway and we were going a little over 110km/h on a highway onramp and there was a noticable difference in handling. At normal speeds you won't even know the FSTB is there.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
so I'll need a torque wrench and a saw to cut the bracket off? what about rear antiroll bars can I get them there?
Costco, go to Sears and by one of there Craftsman torque wrenchs and a bit for the nuts. The torque wrench's are $24-$26 and the bits are aroung $8. I tried local rent all places around T.O. and they charge around $15 to rent a torque wrench for 1 day.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:09 PM

do I need to cut that thing out sticking up on the drivers side tower?(I have a 99) if yes how did you cut yours?
Old 03-18-2001, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
do I need to cut that thing out sticking up on the drivers side tower?(I have a 99) if yes how did you cut yours?
Costco, if you buy the Vibrant FSTB you will have to cutt off the bracket on the strut tower. I used a hacksaw. It was actually pretty easy. After you hacksaw it off, use some primer and them some touch up paint. Go to this link for lots of good info: http://www.chrislehr.com/maxima/fstb.html
Old 03-19-2001, 01:04 PM
BlkCat

Geez! I should have gotten you to order one for me if I knew that, Nathan! I ordered a Vibrant bar back in August and gave up waiting after 3 months! How long did you wait for yours? I ended up ordering the Courtesy one from Texas and got it in a couple of days! Because mine's a '98 I didn't have to cut anything off on the strut towers.

Old 03-20-2001, 07:53 AM

Re: That annoying bracket

I have no information about the Vibrant bar. I installed the Courtesy bar in a '99 and the end plate had a notch which cleared that annoying bracket.
So, I've gathered this bracket is only on '99s. I have a '98SE and already ordered the Vibrant from SB, and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to run into this problem.

Hal

Old 03-20-2001, 08:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can usually go to a local autoparts store and they let you borrow parts for free, you just have to put a downpayment.
I did this when I needed a torque wrench. $20 down and I got it back when I returned it.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:12 AM

Re: Re: That annoying bracket

Originally posted by htmaxpower
So, I've gathered this bracket is only on '99s. I have a '98SE and already ordered the Vibrant from SB, and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to run into this problem.

Hal
'99-up have that bracket, but this is the 4Gen Maxima forum so we can say only '99s.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: That annoying bracket

lol!

for those who want to saw off that bracket, it is easier to do so with a dremel kit. Just shave that piece of metal off your mount.

to avoid the headache, I recommend the Stillen FSTB.

......we can say only '99s.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: That annoying bracket

Originally posted by focker2889
lol!

for those who want to saw off that bracket, it is easier to do so with a dremel kit. Just shave that piece of metal off your mount.

to avoid the headache, I recommend the Stillen FSTB.

That's if you had enough money to spend on such a minor mod. I personally don't think there would be much better improvement in handing over the hollow bars especially considering the price of the Stiilen FSTB.