4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ford Contour Svt bites the dust long...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 02:02 PM
Pollo_loco69

I had better post now too. You know we always have to post in pairs.

Old 03-20-2001, 02:03 PM

Re: Re: He he

Why did you get a new motor I think thats kinda cool. To bad you still only run a 15.08

Originally posted by mamisano

Actually, at 42K miles I got a FREE motor from Ford. Hmmm, how does that suck?

Anything else that you would like to TRY and troll about?
Old 03-20-2001, 02:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: He he

Well it might suck when at 84k you have to do it again but not under a warranty? "Hypothetically" speaking that is! LOL!

Sorry you stepped into that one.

So one one still answered my question about how many engines you guys have gone though on your board. Touchy subject?

Hey, we have crappy automatic transmissions okay? LOL

Actually, at 42K miles I got a FREE motor from Ford. Hmmm, how does that suck?

Anything else that you would like to TRY and troll about?
Old 03-20-2001, 02:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WOW this got long, real fast. I wasn't even gone that long.
Well, this thread has dulled my interest.

Hey SVT guys, if you're ever around Philly shoot me an email and maybe we can meet up.
breaux124@yahoo.com

Later
Old 03-20-2001, 02:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: He he

Hey lets go to their site and post in pairs. Never mind that would be gay. Anyone notice that the contour interior sucks, and that it looks like a fancy egg on the outside.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Well it might suck when at 84k you have to do it again but not under a warranty? "Hypothetically" speaking that is! LOL!

Sorry you stepped into that one.

So one one still answered my question about how many engines you guys have gone though on your board. Touchy subject?

Hey, we have crappy automatic transmissions okay? LOL

Old 03-20-2001, 02:15 PM
Pollo_loco69

Re: Re: Re: Re: He he

Originally posted by infinitiblast
Hey lets go to their site and post in pairs. Never mind that would be gay. Anyone notice that the contour interior sucks, and that it looks like a fancy egg on the outside.

Anyone notice that this guy has a problem with every car except the maxima? The maxima is a nice car but guess what....there are other cars out there that are just as nice if not nicer. It seems like you are just trying to drag this on. Your opinion is just that yours. I personally like the Contour and it's interior. That is my opinion.

Old 03-20-2001, 02:16 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: He he

ACtually this has nothing to do w/ the SVT contours anymore. As far as I'm concerned, it's just one car owner w/ a stuck-up attitude that'a REAL selective on which question he answers. I've answered every one of his, how about the same courtesy? I mean, we don't want it to come down to searching each other's archives and comparing recall notices and engine failures right? But he can rag all day on our crappy automatic transmissions! Good thing I have a 5-sp. Honestly? I kinda like the SVT. Nice size and fairly light. Then again, we are not even talking about that now are we?

Old 03-20-2001, 02:19 PM
Pollo_loco69

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: He he

ACtually this has nothing to do w/ the SVT contours anymore. As far as I'm concerned, it's just one car owner w/ a stuck-up attitude that'a REAL selective on which question he answers. I've answered every one of his, how about the same courtesy? I mean, we don't want it to come down to searching each other's archives and comparing recall notices and engine failures right? But he can rag all day on our crappy automatic transmissions! Good thing I have a 5-sp. Honestly? I kinda like the SVT. Nice size and fairly light. Then again, we are not even talking about that now are we?

Thank you for bring that up.

Old 03-20-2001, 02:26 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: He he

No problem. You don't think I would mention that if I already didn't do the search? I thought I would give you guys a head start.

Originally posted by Pollo_loco69

Thank you for bring that up.
Old 03-20-2001, 04:19 PM
mamisano

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: He he

Hmm, if you are speaking of me, please, fire away with your questions...

Old 03-20-2001, 04:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: He he

Okay (using sign language) how many engine failures have you guys gone though? And how is getting a free motor bad? Well what if you only get another 42k on this one? Is it still under warranty for the 2nd failure? Don't you think it would be better to have a more reliable engine than just getting free ones all the time? I mean the one that's reliable won't leave you on the side of the freeway right?

Hmm, if you are speaking of me, please, fire away with your questions...
Old 03-20-2001, 04:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: He he

Did you notice the losers at contour.org locked the thread about this whole maxima svt thing.

Okay (using sign language) how many engine failures have you guys gone though? And how is getting a free motor bad? Well what if you only get another 42k on this one? Is it still under warranty for the 2nd failure? Don't you think it would be better to have a more reliable engine than just getting free ones all the time? I mean the one that's reliable won't leave you on the side of the freeway right?

Old 03-20-2001, 04:48 PM
cjbaldw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: He he

Did you notice the losers at contour.org locked the thread about this whole maxima svt thing.

Infinitiblast,

Yeah I saw that too. I think Chris (moderator) jumped the gun on that one, I'm trying to appeal to his sense of moderation now...

Old 03-20-2001, 05:53 PM
Langley AFB Sux

No kidding

Not here to bash either....a fellow co worker has a black svt 98 or 99 not sure....under 20k mileage...sweet car. He and i were comparing specs and just bs'ing and decided to see which is faster. I ended up beating him twice from a stoplight drag. Pretty much like ya hear...after 3rd gear its over....but i will say...the svt puts up a better fight than the GTP (haha...this will bring back post nitemares)and most of the stangs and camaro/firebird..the v6 that is...the 8 is much harder...got whupped twice.....beat one once....sucks not knowing if they are stick...ouch..

No disrect to your choice of cars. We all have our own opinion...hell i thought that maximas were slow too....till i met my wife and drove hers. Of course i hunted down a used 95SE

Aaron

Originally posted by breaux124

Hey SVT2000 I guess this is one of those trolls you were talking about. Maxima Killer? Where are you located? I'm sure we can easily find someone to take you up for a challenge. If you're east coast, I'll even do it and I'm not even one of the faster maximas.

Just so you know, I've raced an SVT and it was close, but when I hit third I pulled a full length on my friend (Yes, my friend has an SVT, that's why I never bashed it)

As for the price difference, when was the last time the contour won an award? Hmmm maxima seems to win awards all the time for the best V6 engine, or the best in it's class. That's where the price goes....quality!!
Old 03-20-2001, 09:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok, I am going to chime in on this one. . . This shouldn't have even got to this point in the first place. This all started with an over aggresive SVT owner who thought that a race was on in the first place. Anyway. . . My uncle was trying to talk me into getting an SVT, and I think it is a good car, but my mom had the Maxima and gave me a great deal on what I wanted.

I have a few questions for you guys though. . . Was production of the SVT limited in Cali or something? I just don't see it around that much, I think I have only seen one and it had out of state plates. Also, can you give some numbers on the handling, like skidpad numbers and slalom? I just wanted to know how much better it handles than a stock Maxima.

I also ask you not to get a bad impression of us on the board and to actually take the time and see what our cars are capable of, you may be pleasently suprised. We have things like this all the time and we normally end up having people stick around and contribute a lot to our forum. We do respect most cars, people here have a lot of Honda issues, but pretty much anything else is liked.

-Garth
Old 03-20-2001, 10:04 PM
fastfourdoor

ok guys you can beat my contour to 60mph. But as soon as we have to make a turn umm all i can say is good bye if any of you wanna meet up with a non svt in se mich lemme know ill give your cars(nice but not my bag of cookies)a run for its life in the twisties

Old 03-20-2001, 11:26 PM

You guys all need other hobbies besides posting to this thread....I mean seriously, some of you have 20 posts on just THIS thread alone.....drop it guys....it's been dead since the second page. It's getting annoying seeing it poping back to the top of the list everytime someone else posts to this pointless thread. We all like our own cars...let's leave it at that.......

-Bri

PS - this is NOT a flame
Old 03-21-2001, 04:56 AM
svt2000

Re: Re: Re: Stories like this make me *Happy*

First off I never said the car burned all I said is a big white puff of smoke came from under the hood. The I sawa tow truck picking the car up for all I care a hose might ave blown off the inferior car. You know that car you raced in the video thats how slow you'll be in five years and a nissan will still be pulling hard with no problems.

I am not trying to flame you or anybody on this board. If you beat, good kill. That is all I am saying. If your was faster, fine. I have no problem with that.

Old 03-21-2001, 06:24 AM
RTStabler51

The SVT Contour was a limited production vehicle. In 1998 6535 were produced, in 99 it was something like 2200 <estimated> and 2150 in 2000. I posted a link to give you some specs on the car if your really interested.

http://www.svtperformance.com/contour/continfo1.htm

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy
Ok, I am going to chime in on this one. . . This shouldn't have even got to this point in the first place. This all started with an over aggresive SVT owner who thought that a race was on in the first place. Anyway. . . My uncle was trying to talk me into getting an SVT, and I think it is a good car, but my mom had the Maxima and gave me a great deal on what I wanted.

I have a few questions for you guys though. . . Was production of the SVT limited in Cali or something? I just don't see it around that much, I think I have only seen one and it had out of state plates. Also, can you give some numbers on the handling, like skidpad numbers and slalom? I just wanted to know how much better it handles than a stock Maxima.

I also ask you not to get a bad impression of us on the board and to actually take the time and see what our cars are capable of, you may be pleasently suprised. We have things like this all the time and we normally end up having people stick around and contribute a lot to our forum. We do respect most cars, people here have a lot of Honda issues, but pretty much anything else is liked.

-Garth

Old 03-21-2001, 07:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stories like this make me *Happy*

Originally posted by svt2000

I am not trying to flame you or anybody on this board. If you beat, good kill. That is all I am saying. If your was faster, fine. I have no problem with that.
Jambo just lock this damn thread up before it gets worse.

This all started with a post. There is nothing wrong with other people from other boards replying unless it's a useless reply like half of these saying oh your max is slow or oh your contour is slow.

SVT2000 replied, but i feel in no way he came here to flame, only learn perhaps?

It is stupid that all these Contour owners come and argue. What is the damn point? Will any of us ever meet? Who cares. Whatever. If you beat a max, great! if we beat a contour, great! There is no reason why anyone should say which is faster. Both our cars are SLOW ok? If anyone wanted speed, then we bought the wrong damn cars. GO buy a Supra then if you want 10 sec q-miles and speeds over 160mph and still be street legal.

This is all b/c everyone wants to prove their contour is better or max is better, who fu*king cares now. Either way BOTH OUR cars are 4 doors and fast enough. We all can do suspensions and engine mods. Ok, end of story.

Dont come on here thinking all you guys know everything about maximas, trust me there are 12 sec maximas on here. I'm sure there are 12 sec Contours. Ok? But never doubt other cars. I;ve seen a damn Dodge caravan with a 4cyc turbo run 10 seconds flat. I;ve seen Pintos run 11 seconds.

There are weakness and strong points on our vehicles so what are you gunna do about it?
Old 03-21-2001, 07:49 AM
svt2000

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stories like this make me *Happy*

Originally posted by Synki

Jambo just lock this damn thread up before it gets worse.

This all started with a post. There is nothing wrong with other people from other boards replying unless it's a useless reply like half of these saying oh your max is slow or oh your contour is slow.

SVT2000 replied, but i feel in no way he came here to flame, only learn perhaps?

It is stupid that all these Contour owners come and argue. What is the damn point? Will any of us ever meet? Who cares. Whatever. If you beat a max, great! if we beat a contour, great! There is no reason why anyone should say which is faster. Both our cars are SLOW ok? If anyone wanted speed, then we bought the wrong damn cars. GO buy a Supra then if you want 10 sec q-miles and speeds over 160mph and still be street legal.

This is all b/c everyone wants to prove their contour is better or max is better, who fu*king cares now. Either way BOTH OUR cars are 4 doors and fast enough. We all can do suspensions and engine mods. Ok, end of story.

Dont come on here thinking all you guys know everything about maximas, trust me there are 12 sec maximas on here. I'm sure there are 12 sec Contours. Ok? But never doubt other cars. I;ve seen a damn Dodge caravan with a 4cyc turbo run 10 seconds flat. I;ve seen Pintos run 11 seconds.

There are weakness and strong points on our vehicles so what are you gunna do about it?
I agree 100 percent.

Old 03-21-2001, 12:11 PM

Uh guess who I saw today

I went to have my oile changed a a local mechanic and guess what car was there the conour that got towed. I talked to the mechanic on duty. He said the guy was runnung the car with about 1 quart of oil and he lost the third cylinder.
I'm not starting a flame here either people.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:27 PM
cjbaldw

Re: Uh guess who I saw today

I went to have my oile changed a a local mechanic and guess what car was there the conour that got towed. I talked to the mechanic on duty. He said the guy was runnung the car with about 1 quart of oil and he lost the third cylinder.

Yeesh,

Only 1 freakin quart of oil???!!! Man, our SVT's take 5.5 quarts each fill, that guy was running on borrowed time for sure. I'm surprised the car would even run, I'd hope the CE light would be lit if that was the case, the oil pressure had to be next to nothing don't u think? Sounds like the engine might have had problems well before u came across him...

Later...

Old 03-21-2001, 09:26 PM

The SVT is a nice looking car, but I was not aware of the GM & FoMoCo joint venture resulting in a four door Fiero.
Old 03-21-2001, 11:59 PM
wesley

great story

Can you take a picture of the car in flight, or video tape it

Originally posted by BrianV
Hey I got a great story similar to this:

My friend drives a 97 Nissan 200SX SE 5Spd. The car is very slow, but it's so damn reliabile. It never gets serviced, it rarely gets oil changes. Well we've taken this thing offroading many times, and drive the crap out of it. It bounces off the revlimiter on an hourly basis. Anyways right by my school there are these train tracks that pass through this road. The tracks are elevated so it's a small hump (about 4 vertical feet and 10 lateral feet). You can catch mad air off this if you hit it going fast enough (60+MPH). We launch the 200SX everytime we drive this road. The car gets airborne slams against the ground. Usually 2-3 shocks bottom out, the exhaust hits the ground, but the car keeps going. From all this abuse the car is perfectly fine except one rear strut squeaks now.

Anyways, my friend borrowed his aunt's 5spd SVT Contour. I was surprised how quick it was. It seems almost as fast as my Maxima. Regardless we decided to launch it (well my friend did at least). The car got good airborne, slammed against the ground some mad sparks behind us. Well after that the engine started making funny noises. When you rev it starts clacking. Well my friend was concerned for about 5 minutes than stopped caring. He started driving it hard and at about 6000 RPM the whole car siezed up and started choking like it ran out of fuel. Then he somewhat calmly drove it to a mechanic who said it's definately a powertrain problem. So it's at the Ford dealer where they're ripping the block and head apart to fix the problem.

My friend and I are sold on Nissan now. We're still not launching my Maxima because I care too much about it, but the 200SX has been through it all and is still kicking. This Ford with the duratec got pretty messed up from what is pretty routine for the Nissan.

Old 03-22-2001, 12:08 AM

Ok I was crusing around town today and I pull up at a red light next to a silver ford contour svt. I think for an american midsize car its pretty good looking. So I look over at the guy and wave and roll down the window to tell him nice car. I guess he thought I was saying lets go cause when the light turned green he took off very quickly. I was not in the racing mood so I did not even attempt to catch up. I get to the next light and he is pointing and laughing at my car. He has the nerve to roll down the window and say that foriegn cars are gutless and I should get an american car. I went very quickly from a no race attitude to I'm gonna kick this guys butt. I let him know that I was not racing back there he said that I should not wave and roll down the window next time. I say ok then lets go. Light turns green I get a great start no tire spin at all just a little bitty chirp and I rocket to a 1.5 car length advantage in first gear, by second gear I've got over 2 cars then when I hit third gear I see a white puff of smoke from under the contours hood his flasher go on and he pulls over. I go to wal-mart come back and his car is being towed. Thats american cars for you.

I too had an encounter with an Ford driver that thought he was a funny guy. He was driving around a 95 model Tarrus SHO. I was going to Austin to see my girl friend and we to a light together. Being a newly born max man i was not yet sure with the performance of my car and did not want to pick a fight I could not win. When he came off the line hhard anyway it hit a nerve. So at the next light I made it more than clear that it was on. When the light turned green I let it rip. I still have trouble controling my wheel spin off the line so we were even for a second. But as soon as my tires grabed the race was on. I pulled a good two links ahead off him in second and said bye in third. Needless to say he did not have the same smile on his faced at the next light. He just looked forward and went on his way. Maxima 1 - SHO 0
Old 03-22-2001, 05:46 AM
svt2000

Re: Uh guess who I saw today

I'm not starting a flame here either people.
Holy cow. One quart of oil. How in the hell did he run that engine. He is lucky that he only lost the third cylinder and not more. Our cars, well mine at least, take 5.8 qts. Big difference between 1 and 5.8. Glad it was nothing else. Couple grand for a motor, big dent on your wallet.

Old 03-22-2001, 08:07 AM

Not too sure. There have been MANY advancements over the winter with track testing to come.

Vortec just came out with a Supercharger pushing power to 300hp with no other mods. With some small mods there are cars pushing 300 at the wheels.

A 3.0 conversion kit is also available. HP goes up to near 200hp at the wheels vs. 168hp at the wheels with SVT. The best thing the 3.0 adds is MUCH more torque. Add some more parts, (Headers, Exhaust, Filter) and power climbs to 220-250 at the Wheels.

Regards
That sounds terrific! When do you plan on getting the conversion?

Tim
Old 03-22-2001, 08:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You can get a supercharger for the svt

Jeff, Take a minute and read the post. It was stated that Torque wins races not HP. I then stated that if I put a truck engine in my car, would it be faster in the 1/4 mile than a car with 300 hp. In one word, not. Jeez you people are slow.
I like reading the posts, it makes the day go by that much faster and it's pretty funny to see what people post. I don't post that much, but don't catergorize me in your group as "you people are slow." I understood exactly what you were saying.

Regards,

Tim