4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Make the horn honk on the factory anti-theft system

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make the horn honk on the factory anti-theft system

Alright for starters, my car is a 1996 5-speed SE.

Does anybody know how to wire up something so that the horn honks when the doors are locked on the factory security system, because by default only the turn signals flash. I don't know how to wire it so that the horn won't honk when I turn my turn signals on, but I didn't know if there was some roundabout way to do it. Thanks a lot guys!!

If so can you either link to a how to or post one, I have plenty of general car knowledge I just don't know how the factory anti-theft system is wired.

Also, sorry if this has already been posted but since the search function is disabled, I can't really do much. Thanks!!
Old 03-28-2004, 04:36 PM

Don't. That feature is damn annoying to everybody. Be glad yours doesn't honk when you lock it.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:04 PM

Alright I wasn't asking for input, I was asking for help........if you can't help me then there is no need to criticize what I'm trying to do, because that is about as counterproductive as possible.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:06 PM
acj

I think there is an article in the 4th Gen How-To sticky on how to make your alarm beep. There is also a write-up on this on vqpower.com. I did this mod on my car and it was pretty simple (i think only 2 wires). You should be able to use this to figure out which wires you need to use so you can wire up a horn.

But in doing it like this, it would probably honk twice....
Old 03-28-2004, 07:10 PM

can you get the horn to beep with a factory alarm if you dont have a remote? my gle has the alarm, but to arm the alarm, i have to turn the key on the drivers side. any way to do this?
Old 03-28-2004, 07:39 PM

yeah i did not see the write up on vqpower.com, or on the stickys, so could you link to them if you are sure they are there? thanks
Old 03-28-2004, 11:40 PM

go to my site.......

just click on the www button below........
Old 03-29-2004, 05:31 AM

You can't make the horn honk with the alarm because it has a (-) trigger/switch. Meaning, it already has (+) power, when you press the horn it sends the negitave power "negitave trigger/switch"

You CAN use anything that uses a (+) trigger/switch. I have an alarm siren, it's not loud as long as you leave it in your trunk.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:48 AM

it is anoying - ought to be banned

Ever stay at a Florida resort hotel at the ocean surrounded by nautral trees and landscaped parking lots and able to hear the ocean and all night every car (Fords seem the worst) that someone locks when returning at 1130 PM from dinner blows its horn????????
i do not know how people in cities stand it. Surprised they dont react someway against the horn honkers.

My infiniti blinks the lights I think.
horn blowing is stupid
Old 03-29-2004, 09:15 AM

The whole reason that i want to do it is so i dont have to sit there and stare at my bumper lights when i lock my doors. Especially with the diamond clears that I have, it is very hard to see during the daytime, and it would be much easier if I had an audible alert.

How about anybody who is not going to be a help stop posting, because I wasn't asking your opinion on the mod, but how to do it. So if you don't know how to do it, keep your mouth shut edward.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:47 AM

yea, horn blowing is stupid, don't do it
Old 03-29-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by wariow
yea, horn blowing is stupid, don't do it
Alright if i get one more freaking person that decides to post their opinion on the entire thing I'm gonna explode!!!!

If you can't be of assistance, than just keep your mouth shut and move on to the next post, instead of wasting my time along with everybody else who is subscribed to the thread. If I wanted opinions, I would have posted a freakin poll, OK??
Old 03-29-2004, 10:11 AM

I agree help is required, not what your thoughts are about having an audible, we all have our opinions and what we like on our cars but we all agree on the type of car and we should keep it at that. This is supposed to be a forum to help other fellow maxima owners... not to critize. The vqpower site has an instructional on how to connect a small electronic buzzer to a relay (both parts from Radio shack) which connects to the relay located in the trunk that operates the lights when the alarm button is operated, unfortunately the relay is no longer available, wondering if anyone else has as info on hooking up an audible?? I'm wondering if the buzzer could be hooked up without the relay? For example could it be hooked inline to one of the wires that sends the signal to the lights?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Jedi Knight

Peter,

There are always people post whoring...don't worry about that. I agree with you that I'd like mine to be audible as well...I'm going to look for the article and post it here...but it should definately be possible, but might be difficult due to the (-) negative polarity of the horn. Something that might be do able is getting a relay that will essentially ground the horn once triggered.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by theblackmax455
Alright if i get one more freaking person that decides to post their opinion on the entire thing I'm gonna explode!!!!

If you can't be of assistance, than just keep your mouth shut and move on to the next post, instead of wasting my time along with everybody else who is subscribed to the thread. If I wanted opinions, I would have posted a freakin poll, OK??
with that attitude you need to get a gas sucking 6000 pound suv
Old 03-29-2004, 12:11 PM

read your freaking title foo. Horn blowing sucks, don't do it. Go ahead, explode!!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:26 PM

well I guess you didnt see my post, so here it is again...........

YOU CAN NOT make the horn honk with the alarm because it has a (-) trigger/switch. Meaning, it already has (+) power, when you press the horn it sends the negitave power "negitave trigger/switch"

You CAN use anything that uses a (+) trigger/switch. I have an alarm siren, it's not loud as long as you leave it in your trunk.

Just get somthing else to beep, you could try to relay the horn but its not worth the trouble...

You already got a link, http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/419549/3

What other advice are you looking for?
Old 03-29-2004, 12:43 PM
acj

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
I agree help is required, not what your thoughts are about having an audible, we all have our opinions and what we like on our cars but we all agree on the type of car and we should keep it at that. This is supposed to be a forum to help other fellow maxima owners... not to critize. The vqpower site has an instructional on how to connect a small electronic buzzer to a relay (both parts from Radio shack) which connects to the relay located in the trunk that operates the lights when the alarm button is operated, unfortunately the relay is no longer available, wondering if anyone else has as info on hooking up an audible?? I'm wondering if the buzzer could be hooked up without the relay? For example could it be hooked inline to one of the wires that sends the signal to the lights?

Yes, the buzzer can be hooked up without the relay. You can tie the buzzer directly into the orange/black and orange wire with no problem. (I think those are the colors of the wires.) Anyway, thats how I did mine, with no relay,a nd it works fine.

adam