4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

shoulda gone to midas

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 07:54 AM

shoulda gone to midas

After waiting 7 weeks for my exhaust system ( and getting madder and madder each week). I finally installed it over the weekend and was disgusted with the product not to mention the customer service that told me several times during that period that it will be shipped in the next couple days. I followed their directions (plus a few others that I researched and found on the Internet) including disconnecting the battery to give the O2 sensor time to reset itself. Here's my issues:

It was missing hangers in the middle of the system so it rattled every time I hit a bump.
Check engine light came on (maybe my fault because I got antisieze on one of the sensors. I wiped it off though)
The pipe between the b-pipe and the muffler didn't fit right. It hang below and looked awful.
A liquid (I am assuming that it was water) was spraying from the weld of the catalytic converter.
Monday night it was no longer leaking from the converter but it was leaking at the opening going into the muffler.
Plus the biggest complaint, I saw no HP increase from before.

Today I took it to a local muffler shop that welded on two hangers and removed that pipe cut it (because it was to long) and repositioned it so that it doesn't hang down as much. He tested it and found no leaks. Where am supposed to see a HP increase? $83 dollars later I'm happier but not satisfied.

My question is what's up with the CEL? Is it related to the O2 sensors? If so, will the anti sieze burn off? Will I need to disconnect the battery again to let it reset itself? Or do I have to get back under there and clean them?

I appologize about the lenght of the thread, I just needed to vent. Help please....
Old 05-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Sittin' On Chrome

which exhaust did you buy?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:35 AM

$590 + shipping at warpspeed. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

All aftermarket "bolt-on" exhausts are made from a jig and are almost always a little bit off when it comes to putting it on your car. Your best bet would have been to buy the muffler you wanted and have a reputable muffler shop custom make you the rest of the pipes. This would have gotten you a much better fit and would have cost the same if not less. As far as power goes, you really shouldn't feel much anyway. 5hp if your lucky.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Custom User Title...

catbacks don't yield too much power and you will never really feel a difference unless you're running a turbo or something. the y pipe is the most significant change you can make to your exhaust on your maxima that you'll feel. you should have read around more before paying so much money to only be disappointed. i feel for you as i've been in similar situations, but if you read up, you would have seen catbacks aren't really felt all that much, it's more of a sound thing, and will only yield a few more hp if the rest of the exhaust is changed too.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

don't feel bad i know what your going through my y pipe was hitting my engine cross memeber so i had to notch it. i am never buying anything from warpspeed again.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:30 PM

wow thats weird i got my exhaust package ypipe bpipe and rear section for like 420 from warpspeed it took awhile for them to ship it but that was my fault cuz gave em the wrong credit card number...it doesnt sag or look bad....sorry to hear bout yours
Old 05-04-2004, 05:37 PM

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

I'm not sure if my original post was clear but the $590 included the y pipe.

With the research that I found I thought the y pipe alone would see gains from 12 to 15 HP, and the catback would see gains of 5 to 8 HP.

One of the how tos that I saw said that the last step was to reset the ECU. Is this normal? Did anyone else have their CEL on when they completed their install?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:55 AM

I have to ask this. By resetting the ECU am I ignoring a real problem? If I do reset it will the CEL come back on if there really is a problem?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a warpspeed y-pipe that I am very happy with. I installed it at the same time that I installed my Apex'i WS exhaust that I am also happy with. The only problem that I had with the whole setup was the over the axle pipe on the apex was bent wrong. A reputable local muffler shop fixed this for me for 20$ and welded an extra support bracket onto the exhaust so it would move less because of the extra weight from the muffler. Sounds great, looks great, and I felt a dramatic power increase.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by five09
After waiting 7 weeks for my exhaust system ( and getting madder and madder each week). I finally installed it over the weekend and was disgusted with the product not to mention the customer service that told me several times during that period that it will be shipped in the next couple days. I followed their directions (plus a few others that I researched and found on the Internet) including disconnecting the battery to give the O2 sensor time to reset itself. Here's my issues:

It was missing hangers in the middle of the system so it rattled every time I hit a bump.
Check engine light came on (maybe my fault because I got antisieze on one of the sensors. I wiped it off though)
The pipe between the b-pipe and the muffler didn't fit right. It hang below and looked awful.
A liquid (I am assuming that it was water) was spraying from the weld of the catalytic converter.
Monday night it was no longer leaking from the converter but it was leaking at the opening going into the muffler.
Plus the biggest complaint, I saw no HP increase from before.

Today I took it to a local muffler shop that welded on two hangers and removed that pipe cut it (because it was to long) and repositioned it so that it doesn't hang down as much. He tested it and found no leaks. Where am supposed to see a HP increase? $83 dollars later I'm happier but not satisfied.

My question is what's up with the CEL? Is it related to the O2 sensors? If so, will the anti sieze burn off? Will I need to disconnect the battery again to let it reset itself? Or do I have to get back under there and clean them?

I appologize about the lenght of the thread, I just needed to vent. Help please....
What muffler did you get I just ordered the cat back from them with a dynaflow muffler.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:01 AM

Just make sure you reconnected the O2 sensors if you've disconnected them.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:14 AM

I have to ask this. By resetting the ECU am I ignoring a real problem? If I do reset it will the CEL come back on if there really is a problem?
its not going to hurt anything if you reset your ecu, if anything its a good idea to, because you just made a change to the exhaust flow on your car. if you havent reset your ecu, even though i think it will pick it up after like 100 miles or something, not quite sure/ corrct me if im wrong, then the car still thinks that it has a stock exhaust on and is only allowing a certain amount of exhaust flow.
if your ecu light comes back on, then one of your o2 sensors is probably bad, you cant just clean them off, sorry to say. you probaly bumped one of them on something, thats all it takes to kill a o2 sensor sometimes, there pretty weak.
dont feel bad, i took my car to a shop for the y-pipe install, and they still screwed up one of my o2 sensors.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:22 PM

hey moose54, I got the dynaflow. Its not too loud, which I like.

I went to AutoZone tonight and had them check the ECU. It came back with a bad knock sensor and o2 sensor (the one connected to the b-pipe). I know that that wire to that sensor went straight up into a hole in the undercarrage of the car. Is this something I can replace myself? Does the sensor come apart where I would have to attach the wires mysef? That's another $89 dollars that I didn't want to spend.
Is this something I need to replace in the next couple of day, weeks or months? Will it only affect my gas mileage? Is this why I'm not seeing much of an HP gain? What about the knock sensor, where is that and what does that do? Last question; Are the sensors sold at AutoZone good or should I look around? The knock sensor is made by Wells and the o2 is a Bosh O.E. type.
Thanks again for all of your encouraging words.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:33 PM

hey moose54, I got the dynaflow. Its not too loud, which I like.

I went to AutoZone tonight and had them check the ECU. It came back with a bad knock sensor and o2 sensor (the one connected to the b-pipe). I know that that wire to that sensor went straight up into a hole in the undercarrage of the car. Is this something I can replace myself? Does the sensor come apart where I would have to attach the wires mysef? That's another $89 dollars that I didn't want to spend.
Is this something I need to replace in the next couple of day, weeks or months? Will it only affect my gas mileage? Is this why I'm not seeing much of an HP gain? What about the knock sensor, where is that and what does that do? Last question; Are the sensors sold at AutoZone good or should I look around? The knock sensor is made by Wells and the o2 is a Bosh O.E. type.
Thanks again for all of your encouraging words.
knock sensor is probalby robbing you of 20 HP, yeah its a big deal, and its pretty easy to change, www.oxygensensors.com they recommend the walker brand, even though its cheaper tahn bosch, must have some credibility if theyre saying that, for the record, the ypipe sees no gains until your past 3500 RPM's, id get OEM walker just because for $12 i dont feel like dealing with splicing and all that crud, but i think the o2 sensor might be tripping the knock sensor code, so change the o2 sensor and see if the knock sensor code goes away
Old 05-06-2004, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
knock sensor is probalby robbing you of 20 HP, yeah its a big deal, and its pretty easy to change, www.oxygensensors.com they recommend the walker brand, even though its cheaper tahn bosch, must have some credibility if theyre saying that, for the record, the ypipe sees no gains until your past 3500 RPM's, id get OEM walker just because for $12 i dont feel like dealing with splicing and all that crud, but i think the o2 sensor might be tripping the knock sensor code, so change the o2 sensor and see if the knock sensor code goes away
mansurxk,
Thanks for responding, this is very encouraging, I'll get that walker ordered and probably get it put on next weekend.

Thanks again.