4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

squealing noise from wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 06:51 AM

squealing noise from wheels

I recently replaced both axle half shafts w/ aftermarket parts (due to cv boot failure damaging the c/v joints) now my left front wheel is making a squeaking noise, I took my car to the dealer a while back and they recommended replacing both axle shafts with oem's and both front wheel bearings costing apporx $1400. The problem is that the wheel bearings are not grinding and are not loose. The dealer tightened the nut that tightens the axle shaft to the spindle and the noise went away for a while until now. Has anyone had this problem before?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:32 PM

I don't have any advice but I wanted to add that I'm experiencing a simliar noise, also from my driver's side front wheel. It sounds like a minor squeaking noise that is speed-dependent. The faster the car is moving, the higher is the frequency of the squeak. You might say that for every revolution the wheel makes it makes one squeak. With the windows rolled up, I cannot hear it. Also, above 30 mph or so, I cannot hear it because the road noise and wind noise drown out the minor squeak.

I would sure like some insight on how to fix it though.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:36 AM

I JUST had the same problem as you ounkny to a TEE. Only mine was the front passenger. It was driving me nuts. I just got my car back two days ago from the dealer (warranty) and he said it was the bearing seal that had dried up causing excessive friction, thus the noise. He replaced the whole bearing... But i am willing to bet its the bearing seal. does it kinda sound like when you run your finger across a piece of vinyl? kinda like whiz whiz whiz whiz whiz with each rotation, gaining frequency with speed? It had been to the dealer numerous times and they would alwasy have the same reply- we cannot recreate the noise. It took a joyride with the service manager of the dealer for tnoise to come up, and it was like winning the lottery to have him diagnose it. BTW- so far- no noise.....yet. keep your fingers crossed
Old 05-13-2004, 07:06 AM

That sounds similar if not exactly what I'm getting. It sounds reasonable for it to be something in the wheel bearing assembly, since it's not a problem with my brakes (just had them redone).

I bet that service is expensive, since you have to take apart the whole hub. You are fortunate to still have a warranty to have that service done at no additional cost. Do you know if there will be other problems cropping up if I don't fix it right away?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:44 AM

I removed the left front wheel last night and checked the axle nut which was tight did not notice any grinding noise when turning the hub, I then put everything back together and drove about 5 blocks and the noise went away, I guess it is the wheel bearing seal. thank you for the response.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:55 AM

Blaximazx, tell me again how you know it's the wheel bearing seal? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:59 AM

well I checked on alldata online (labor & parts guide) which showed me the exploded view of the driveaxle, it shows that there is a metal snap ring, axle inner grease seal that sits in the middle then the axle shaft, when the axle inner grease seal gets dry it squeaks as it rotates against the metal snap ring. The picture shows that part has to be greased when installing or repairing the cv boot/ joint. I feel that backing of the wheel bearing locking nut and by push the axle out just enough that you can gain axcess to the seal behind the spindle you should be able to spray lithium grease in that area to lube that seal which may take care of the sqeaking noise concern. I hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:04 AM

Hey ounkny, what part of chicago are you located in? I am driving up there tommorrow to go to a funeral on saturday in a rental car, I won't be able to attempt to do anything until I get back.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:52 AM

Sorry I didn't see this message until now. I'm on the south side of Chicago. Sorry to hear about the funeral. Keep us updated about the squeak though.

Originally Posted by Blaximazx
Hey ounkny, what part of chicago are you located in? I am driving up there tommorrow to go to a funeral on saturday in a rental car, I won't be able to attempt to do anything until I get back.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sometimes something simple happens--the backingplate gets squeezed against the rotor while juggling the hub around. it will squeal like crazzy. just push it off of the rotor slightly.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ounkny
That sounds similar if not exactly what I'm getting. It sounds reasonable for it to be something in the wheel bearing assembly, since it's not a problem with my brakes (just had them redone).

I bet that service is expensive, since you have to take apart the whole hub. You are fortunate to still have a warranty to have that service done at no additional cost. Do you know if there will be other problems cropping up if I don't fix it right away?
I ran like that for almost a year without any problems. I think. It just took so long for them to find out what it was. I borught it in like 3 times over the year to have it checked. It was very elusive