4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tiptronics in a Max...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 09:40 AM
CokedOut

I saw a Maxima at a car show in Cali that was able to switch back and forth from stick to auto. Has anyone on the boards had this mod done to their car??

Old 03-25-2001, 10:09 AM

what?where?when? im in cali...

maybe this guy had lots of cash..
Old 03-25-2001, 12:18 PM

For the price of doing that he probably coula gotten 2 max's, one auto and one stick. ehhehe.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
For the price of doing that he probably coula gotten 2 max's, one auto and one stick. ehhehe.
I imagine a person with good electronics "savvy" could do this for less than $25. My Maxima is a 5-speed so I can't do it.

This is "top of the head" (i.e. untested) engineering. My idea is to disconnect harness connector F42 and fashion a substitute electrical connector. Run the new harness into the passenger compartment. Mount a 5-position radio pushbutton switch to your homemade harness. The five buttons would control automatic gears 1, 2, 3, 4, and R.

Viewing the open end of connector F42 with the latch at the "12 o'clock" position you see two rows of four terminals. They are numbered 1-4 (left-to-right, top row) and 5-8 (left-to-right, bottom row). Terminal assignments are:
1 = Shift solenoid B
2 = Shift solenoid A
3 = Overrun clutch solenoid valve
4 = Line pressure solenoid valve
5 = Torque converter clutch solenoid valve
6 = ?
7 = ?
8 = ?

The question marks may be filled in by inspection of the connector and tests with an ohmmeter. One of them is for Reverse. The remaining one or two may be grounds.

The activation schedule for the solenoids is:
1st gear = A and B
2nd gear = B
3rd gear = (none)
4th gear = A

The Line valve solenoid would be energized if shift solenoid A, B, or both were energized, and de-powered during shifts.

I hope "Don in Texas" or other Maxima.Org members who know automatics will comment on this idea. Maybe it's whacko. Maybe it's do-able. Maybe it's not worth the trouble.
Old 03-25-2001, 03:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Damn, I want that. Somebody make a kit!
Old 03-25-2001, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
I imagine a person with good electronics "savvy" could do this for less than $25. My Maxima is a 5-speed so I can't do it.

This is "top of the head" (i.e. untested) engineering. My idea is to disconnect harness connector F42 and fashion a substitute electrical connector. Run the new harness into the passenger compartment. Mount a 5-position radio pushbutton switch to your homemade harness. The five buttons would control automatic gears 1, 2, 3, 4, and R.

Viewing the open end of connector F42 with the latch at the "12 o'clock" position you see two rows of four terminals. They are numbered 1-4 (left-to-right, top row) and 5-8 (left-to-right, bottom row). Terminal assignments are:
1 = Shift solenoid B
2 = Shift solenoid A
6 = ?
7 = ?
8 = ?

The question marks may be filled in by inspection of the connector and tests with an ohmmeter. One of them is for Reverse. The remaining one or two may be grounds.

1st gear = A and B
2nd gear = B
3rd gear = (none)
4th gear = A

The Line valve solenoid would be energized if shift solenoid A, B, or both were energized, and de-powered during shifts.

I hope "Don in Texas" or other Maxima.Org members who know automatics will comment on this idea. Maybe it's whacko. Maybe it's do-able. Maybe it's not worth the trouble.
God damn Daniel! There was a breakdown which i don't think anyone expect. Well explained.

Someone here has too much knowledge.
Old 03-25-2001, 04:09 PM
CokedOut

1 = Shift solenoid B
2 = Shift solenoid A
6 = ?
7 = ?
8 = ?

1st gear = A and B
2nd gear = B
3rd gear = (none)
4th gear = A

Finally, I've found my summer project. Danny boy, you've just created havok. There are going to be Tiptronic Maxima's running around everywhere now I'm gonna go for it, I'll post pictures when I'm finished in June or July.

Old 03-25-2001, 04:32 PM
Disco Biscuit

Doesn't I30Krab have that from Level 10? I know he has a box in the cup holder with buttons to press to let him shift. Maybe someone should do a search on it.....
Old 03-25-2001, 04:52 PM
Disco Biscuit

Here's a link to the post with a couple pics of the controller

Originally posted by Whitemax
Doesn't I30Krab have that from Level 10? I know he has a box in the cup holder with buttons to press to let him shift. Maybe someone should do a search on it.....
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=20627
Old 03-25-2001, 06:06 PM

Re: Here's a link to the post with a couple pics of the controller

That photo is what I had in mind. Here's an idea for a slick implementation. Mount two pushbutton switches on the steering wheel spokes. A push on the left hand button would mean "shift to the next lower gear" and a push on the right hand button would mean "shift to the next higher gear". I like this scheme because
- it's easy to operate
- the driver keeps both hands on the wheel
- the driver keeps his eyes on the road
Old 03-25-2001, 06:16 PM

A variation on the theme

That photo is what I had in mind. Here's an idea for a slick implementation. Mount two pushbutton switches on the steering wheel spokes. A push on the left hand button would mean "shift to the next lower gear" and a push on the right hand button would mean "shift to the next higher gear". I like this scheme because
- it's easy to operate
- the driver keeps both hands on the wheel
- the driver keeps his eyes on the road
A variation on the theme...

See that plastic pod on your wheel which contains the Cruise Control buttons? Buy one of those and fasten it to the opposite side of the wheel. On my wheel there is a removable panel as if somebody was planning for it. With some care, this could be made to look "factory".

I'd also like some kind of illuminated display which shows which gear the tranny is in.
Old 03-25-2001, 06:17 PM
Disco Biscuit

Ya, that would be sweet. The new IS300 has that.
Old 03-25-2001, 08:22 PM
CokedOut

That is some incredible sh*t. Does anybody have anything like this currently for sale, or would be willing to submit another prototype? I am not the most electronically inclined person, so is anyone interested in attempting this mod and willing to post specific step-by-step directions (detailed)? I appreciate any feedback and help. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2001, 09:43 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

shifter on wheel...

Originally posted by CokedOut
That is some incredible sh*t. Does anybody have anything like this currently for sale, or would be willing to submit another prototype? I am not the most electronically inclined person, so is anyone interested in attempting this mod and willing to post specific step-by-step directions (detailed)? I appreciate any feedback and help. Thanks in advance.
My roommates shifter on his wheels (Lexus IS300)is cool but inconvienient when driving fast. I'd rather have it on the auto shifter like the Acura TL

EZ
Old 03-25-2001, 10:41 PM

hey

we could get a few people to create a prototype and then market this thing!
Old 03-26-2001, 07:35 PM
CokedOut

Re: hey

Originally posted by Matrix
we could get a few people to create a prototype and then market this thing!
That is a great idea...Is anybody interesting in attempting this if I put up some money for this modification? Post back and let me know. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2001, 08:55 PM

TIPTRONIC OR SHIFTRONIC

THE ONLY ONE THAT OFFERS ANYTHING LIKE THAT IS LEVEL TEN. THEY HAVE A SYSTEM THEY CALL SHIFTRONIC. IT ALLOWS YOU TO DRIVE THE CAR LIKE IT IS A STICK. IT RUNS $1600. THEY SENT ME THE INFO AWHILE BACK. DESIGNED FOR THOSE WITH AN AUTO THAT WANT A STICK. CHECK THEM OUT OR EMAIL ME, I MAY STILL HAVE THE INFO. FURBISS112@AOL.COM
Old 03-27-2001, 07:15 AM

Re: TIPTRONIC OR SHIFTRONIC

Originally posted by furbiss112
THE ONLY ONE THAT OFFERS ANYTHING LIKE THAT IS LEVEL TEN. THEY HAVE A SYSTEM THEY CALL SHIFTRONIC. IT ALLOWS YOU TO DRIVE THE CAR LIKE IT IS A STICK. IT RUNS $1600. THEY SENT ME THE INFO AWHILE BACK. DESIGNED FOR THOSE WITH AN AUTO THAT WANT A STICK. CHECK THEM OUT OR EMAIL ME, I MAY STILL HAVE THE INFO. FURBISS112@AOL.COM
You got mail.