4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 Maxima Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 03:59 PM
jrh

I purchased a 1997 Maxima yesterday and I'm not sure what trim package it is. It has factory 5-stars, spoiler, fog lights, whiteface gauges, CD/Cass(not bose),cloth seats, no sunroof. Is this an SE?
I have a few more questions about the car, I'm sorry if these questions belong in another topic, but I just found this site this morning.
First of all I think it has an aftermarket alarm system. I think it is called a Barracuda, as this is what it says on the key fob. The alarm will go off for no appearent reason at all, is there a way I can disconnect the alarm, but still use the keyless entry, has anyone ever heard of this brand or know where I can get more info about it.
Next, I would like to upgrade the stereo system, nothing fancy, just comparable with the bose, I would like keep the factory head unit, if it is sufficient. Does anyone have any advice an amp and speakers to achieve this?
Also, the ashtray seems to be wedged shut, anyone ever heard of a problem with it. I press it in and it doesn't budge, I could pry it open, but I think it will break completely off and this would look even worse. Anybody have any ideas?
I just found the site and it is great, any info would help me greatly.

Old 03-25-2001, 04:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jrh
[B]I purchased a 1997 Maxima yesterday and I'm not sure what trim package it is. It has factory 5-stars, spoiler, fog lights, whiteface gauges, CD/Cass(not bose),cloth seats, no sunroof. Is this an SE?

Yes it is. Sounds like you do not have the comfort and convenience package (alarm/keyless). You may or may not have the cold weather package.
Old 03-25-2001, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by jrh
I purchased a 1997 Maxima yesterday and I'm not sure what trim package it is. It has factory 5-stars, spoiler, fog lights, whiteface gauges, CD/Cass(not bose),cloth seats, no sunroof. Is this an SE?
From what you are describing, it sounds like a SE. The SE come w/ 5 stars, spoiler, and whiteface gauges. The Bose, leather, & sunroof are an option. You basically got the bottom end SE but there is no shame to that. The GLE & GXE dont come with white gauges. The GLE fact have Bose & Leather. The GXE is cloth, no Bose, no spoiler, but it can be added as an option for $$$.

I have a few more questions about the car, I'm sorry if these questions belong in another topic, but I just found this site this morning.
Welcome to the site. You will find a lot of good info here and meet a lot of great people. There is alos another site, www.clubmaxima.com for any further info.

First of all I think it has an aftermarket alarm system. I think it is called a Barracuda, as this is what it says on the key fob. The alarm will go off for no appearent reason at all, is there a way I can disconnect the alarm, but still use the keyless entry, has anyone ever heard of this brand or know where I can get more info about it.
That doesnt sound like the fact alarm. I've personally never heard of it. The keyless entry might be part of the alarm unit itself.. the brain that is. If you disconnect it, the keyless entry wont work unless it is it's own unit.

Next, I would like to upgrade the stereo system, nothing fancy, just comparable with the bose, I would like keep the factory head unit, if it is sufficient. Does anyone have any advice an amp and speakers to achieve this?
You can upgrade at anytime w/ whatever you want. SInc eyou want to keep the fact. HU (headunit) you will need a Line Output Converter. The factory HU doesnt have pre-outs for adding amps. You will need this converter. It taps into your speaker outputs fron the HU and converts it to a pre-amp output meaning you can add an external amp. It costs about $30-$40.

Also, the ashtray seems to be wedged shut, anyone ever heard of a problem with it. I press it in and it doesn't budge, I could pry it open, but I think it will break completely off and this would look even worse. Anybody have any ideas?
I've never heard about the ash tray getting stuck. There is prolly someting stuck in there. Dont pry it out either. There is a trim plate around the shifter. That pops right out, pull that out and that will expose the screws to the ash tray. There is only 1 screw for it and it pulls out. Then go from there.

I just found the site and it is great, any info would help me greatly.
Enjoy and i help i've provided some help for you.
Old 03-25-2001, 04:18 PM
Administrator

If your Ashtray is stuck someone installed an aftermarket radio and did not re-install the shifter plastic piece back properly.. i have done this in 3 maxima's.. the ashtray sticking i have done in 3 diff maxima's.. i guess I was lazy