4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

peeps with aftermarket cluth &/or flywheel. Step in

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

peeps with aftermarket cluth &/or flywheel. Step in

OK so I'm in the market for a new clutch now. I can't decide if I want an aftermarket clutch or an OEM one. I really don't want a super heavy clutch that will give me a work out while I'm stock on traffic, but I want to grab a bit better than stock clutch. What do you guys recommend?
Also people with after market clutches how long have you had yours?

Since I will be pulling the tranny I might as well do the flywheel as wheel.
Now I need a honest opinion from people with flywheels. If you could go back to stock flywheels. Would you do it?
What kind of flywheel are you guys running and for how long?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 07:58 PM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

I would go with exedy... I had one in my RX-7 and I loved it... just a tad stiffer than stock, if not the same (pedal pressure), and it grabbed REALLY nice... and you can get em for really cheap on ebay and stuff... I'm putting one in really soon on my maxima, as well..
Old 05-24-2004, 08:09 PM

I've had my Exedy Stage 1 for about 2 months and I love it. I see no true downside to the clutch since it didn't increase pedal effort significantly. Ask other Exedy Stage 1 owners and I'm pretty sure they'll tell you the same about the pedal effort.

The Exedy Stage 1 can grab hard and fast if you release it quickly, but you can also modulate it for traffic situations. If you slip it slowly, like when coming out of a driveway in 1st gear, you can actually hear the friction material doing its job. It is the best clutch I've ever had. I'd be happy to answer any more questions about the Exedy.

Don't have an aftermarket flywheel but my guess would be if you do city driving that requires a lot of low speed shifting, an aftermarket flywheel is not for you. If you live in a rural area or suburban area with little or no traffic, I don't see the problem with having a lightened flywheel, aside from the minor annoyances that people have been posting about, like squeaking sounds.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:12 AM

thanks guys. I might go with exedy one. Do you guys know the best place to buy it?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:55 AM

www.nolimitmotorsport.com has the Exedy Stage 1 for $295 shipping included. That's the cheapest I've found them for other than group purchases and Ebay.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:10 AM

I have not heard that the lightened flywheel will make the low gears hard to use. In fact, I have heard just the opposite. You get the most benefit from the "In-town" stuff that you do, because the gains you get are mostly in 1st & 2nd gear.

The only problem that I see would be the launch. It is said that it is pretty hard to launch. I mean, it is nothing that you cannot learn, but it will take some practice.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:17 AM

Alright so i have the fidanza flywheel which is real light and a mess of combinations for the clutch kit. I originally bought most of the conversion parts to 5speed from someone so i got stuck with a centerforce clutch kit. That clutch died and i replaced it with an ACT Street Organic Clutch which is much better. So either go with ACT or Exedy for the clutch but remember that you wont get a work out from the clutch rather the pressure plate so buy accordingly. For instance my clutch is real easy to press because it has the pressure plate from the centerforce with the ACT clutch and for some reason that is a good combo for ease on the foot. As for flywheel if you want to rev a little faster and maybe get some gains in the low gears then pick one. They are all lighter than stock (much lighter) and they will all do about the same thing.

Good luck and PM me if you have any other questions,
Justin
Old 05-25-2004, 08:20 AM

I don't know that it matters to be this light, but the Stillen flywheel is only like 5lbs.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:53 AM
Boosted Panda

I have the Exedy stage 1 and Stillen flywheel.
I am really pleased with this set up.
The clutch is great. The grabbing force is much better then stock but not so much that it effects everday driving.
Its stiffer, but not unbearable. Ive had mine for well over six months.
As far as the flywheel goes, I wouldnt go back to the OEM unit.
The accelleration I get from the flywheel is awesome.
The RPMS do drop quicker, but the quickness of them raising is worth it.
Driveablity has not been effected by it at all.
Before I purchased it, I did a lot of research and read that if the unit was too light it hurt your launching being that you would need to launch in a much higher rpm just to move the vehicle.
I purchased it anyway, just to see for myself.
I love it.
It seems most people who comment on the flywheels driveablity issues are from people who do not own one and are going by hearsay.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:32 AM

I agree. Most people with the Fidanza or lighter flywheels (Stillen, Unorthodox) say that it's just a little trickier to launch, and you have to keep the revs a little higher because they drop faster, so you might have to give it more gas when downshifting, for instance. So you have to be more careful in situations in which you might stall out, mainly first gear stuff, like coming out of a driveway or gas station.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:40 AM

Oh and I posted before that if you're a city driver you might not want to go with a lighter flywheel. Others have said that that's where you'll see the most gains, when you're revving through the low gears. I agree with this.

My point was that often in city driving you don't have the chance to extract the value of your mods, because of the traffic. If you are driving in a city where you are driving below 40 mph most of the time, clearly you are not going to be able to enjoy the benefits of the flywheel as much. To completely exaggerate my point, imagine driving a Ferrari in a 30 mph zone. This means that the costs (the money you pay for the flywheel, time installing, and whatever downsides to the product) may loom larger than the benefits (faster revs, quicker acceleration) of the modification, at least when compared to if you lived in a relatively traffic-free area.

I'm sure there are some people that disagree. It is a similar argument that automatics are more drivable in the city than manuals. Some people don't think so. I, for one, think that automatics are easier to drive, but I still drive a 5-speed and I live in Chicago.

So I've presented arguments for both sides, and not in favor of one direction or another.

Some people have posted about strange noises coming from their aftermarket flywheels, and most of the posts I've read have said that they're normal, so it's something you might have to live with.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:55 AM

My flywheel doesnt make noises. Maybe they forgot to put the bolts on it?????
Old 05-25-2004, 10:14 AM

Yeah, some people have reported noises, and some haven't. It's strange. But the ones that have reported them have said it's normal. They could be wrong, but that would be a lot of wrong flywheel owners.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:28 AM

I disagree with the auto being easier to drive in the city traffic. I find that the manual is easier. I would be better at getting in and out of traffic with my manual than anyone with their auto and I would use less gas doing it. Reason: I can put it in the gear that I know that I need and then not worry about it not being there when I need it. With an auto, you have to wait a couple of seconds for it to decide which gear you need and then it will accellerate. I have none of this waiting, and I can pass faster. I can just put it in the lower gear and be ready so that all I have to do it punch it and not wait for the gears to downshift. Not everyone knows how to drive a manual like this though. I have a friend that sucks at it. I mean, he does not down shift until he is in the other lane about to pass someone. This is no better than an automatic, for you still have to wait for the shift before you can make you maneuver.

Originally Posted by ounkny
My point was that often in city driving you don't have the chance to extract the value of your mods, because of the traffic. If you are driving in a city where you are driving below 40 mph most of the time, clearly you are not going to be able to enjoy the benefits of the flywheel as much. To completely exaggerate my point, imagine driving a Ferrari in a 30 mph zone. This means that the costs (the money you pay for the flywheel, time installing, and whatever downsides to the product) may loom larger than the benefits (faster revs, quicker acceleration) of the modification, at least when compared to if you lived in a relatively traffic-free area.
I disagree with this. Everyone that I have talked to that has a lightened flywheel says that you get most of it out of 1st and 2nd gear because it revs faster. This would mean, that you would get most of your gains under 60.....and still a lot of your gains at 40mph. Supposedly, with the lightened flywheel, you get next to nothing in 3rd, 4th, or 5th.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:28 AM

Flavor......any comments on this???
Old 05-25-2004, 10:35 AM

It's all about the exeddy I think
Old 05-25-2004, 10:39 AM

I cant say that i like manual in traffic but then again i f'n hate traffic. It is so counterproductive and low in efficiency and i have to be efficient.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Flavor......any comments on this???

Well, first of all, The flywheel doesnt cause you to stall out.
The clutch would, being that it grabs so much quicker.
Ive never had any problems taking off.
Nor do I have to rev higher then normal to take off. Except when the car is cold.
To me, the only thing I noticed is what I stated before, it revs a lot quicker and the rpms drop quicker. Therefore when shifting you have to shift quickly or the rpms will drop dramaticly in between gears.
I notice power gains in all gears at lower rpms, not just 1-2.
Its just more noticable in 1-2 since your moving from a dead stop.
I dont think its any more difficult to drive then any other 5 speed.
Autos will always be easier to drive then the manual being that all you have to do is push the gas and brake.
But the 5 speed is where the power is at.
Once you drive manual for a while, its seems just as easy as auto since I shift with out even thinking about it. It comes out of habit.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:51 AM
acj

Since this is a thread dealing with manuals and such…how long did it take you 5 speed owners to “master” the 5 speed? I started driving mine in Feb. of this year, and still have not mastered it. In fact, (I hate to mention this) I stalled it yesterday in traffic.

I can drive it reasonably well. If I try I can have perfect shifts, but usually I don’t try. Also I noticed today my clutch seems kind of “notchy” towards the floor, it may be because it has adjusted itself or something.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:44 PM

ok Thanks for all the help guys. I will go for the exedy one, and a Fidanza flywheel.

BTW: They have different clutch materials. Which one is the one I should get? Organic?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:04 PM

I got the 6 puck unorthodox unsprung hub(stage 2)

Its pretty sweet. Only thing is launching is a little tricky, you have to give between 1500 and 2000 rpms, otherwise you bog down.
I also replaced the flywheel with stock equivlent.

Its not the flywheel that makes noise for me. its when i let clutch in to slowly, and rev it, the slight catch/slipping of the 6 pucks makes a vibrating squeel type of noise. It must be the ceramics.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It is normal for there to be a little noise when you change to a lightened flywheel. I have the Stillen C-notes (not really sure if its better then the other) and an ACT clutch. I hear that the Unorthodox is really nice. Im happy with my setup but im thinking about going with the Exedy cause a lot of people are telling me that they are really good. The ACT is a little harsh but it just takes some getting used to. As for how long it takes to master a manual, you learn the basics the first couple of days you have it. After about 2 to 3 weeks of constant driving it becomes 2nd nature and you dont ever think about it. And dont worry if you stall in the beginning, its all good. We have all stalled in the past, its no big deal. Good luck with the car.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:24 AM
Boosted Panda

Go with the Organic.
The Stillen Flywheel and The UR unit are the same. Their manufactured by the same Co. just distributed through different vendors who stamp their name on it.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by acj
Since this is a thread dealing with manuals and such…how long did it take you 5 speed owners to “master” the 5 speed? I started driving mine in Feb. of this year, and still have not mastered it. In fact, (I hate to mention this) I stalled it yesterday in traffic.

I can drive it reasonably well. If I try I can have perfect shifts, but usually I don’t try. Also I noticed today my clutch seems kind of “notchy” towards the floor, it may be because it has adjusted itself or something.
It didn't take me that long, but you have to learn to "master" every new car that you drive that is a stick. Every system is different, I have not driven any two alike.
Don't worry about stalling it out....to your defense......the Maxima is actually easier to stall out than other cars I have driven because it runs so quiet. Or at least mine does. Sometimes, I cannot even hear the engine.
You will eventually get to where you can "feel" the engine rather than needing to "hear" it.
Enjoy your car and your power!

Those sound like good selections, Optimus.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:39 AM

I have had the ACT street disc (NM1-HDMM) and also a Stillen lightened flywheel for almost a year now. Took some "getting used to" , but overall I'm VERY pleased with my choices and how the products perform. My 95 max revs up like lightening & grabs good n' tight with ACT's street disc and strong pressure plate.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:00 AM

I just had an Exedy stage stock clutch installed last weekend. I went with it because it was only $140, though now I wish I would have spent the extra cash on it. It grabs great, but the pedal is actually a bit lighter than stock, which I was hoping for it to be a bit stiffer than stock. My last car was a 1990 300ZX with an ACT Stage 2 clutch in it, and that pedal was a beast, but I loved it. Ohh well, at least now I can drive with my shoes off
Old 05-26-2004, 10:14 AM

I would think that you would want the pedal to be lighter, not a lot heavier. That would make driving much more unbearable.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:09 PM

ok a few more questions.
i ordered my clutch and flywheel yesterday, but they are out of stock on the flywheel. So now I'm debating if I should even get a flywheel.
How is the idle with a lighter flywheel?
Does it improve 1/4 mile times?
Old 05-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by optimus310
ok a few more questions.
i ordered my clutch and flywheel yesterday, but they are out of stock on the flywheel. So now I'm debating if I should even get a flywheel.
How is the idle with a lighter flywheel?
Does it improve 1/4 mile times?

Thats the only bad thing about the Fidanza. Its always out stock.
Must mean somthing huh?
My idle is exactly the same. It never changed. Right at 600.
The 1/4 mile issue was brought up recently. Might want to look for that thread/
They were discussing times with the flywheel.
I would imagine it would be better. Couldnt see why it would hurt.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Old Maxima Legend

glad i came across this post ! flavor good to read your reviews !
Old 05-27-2004, 08:16 PM

maximaracing.org - hey thanks for your sig, nice site.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by FLAVOR247
Thats the only bad thing about the Fidanza. Its always out stock.
Must mean somthing huh?
My idle is exactly the same. It never changed. Right at 600.
The 1/4 mile issue was brought up recently. Might want to look for that thread/
They were discussing times with the flywheel.
I would imagine it would be better. Couldnt see why it would hurt.

Thanks for all the info Flavor. I looked around I found the fidanze flywheel and order one. I should have everything install in a couple weeks, then I can give my first review of the exedy clutch and the fidanza flywheel.

Old 05-28-2004, 05:24 AM
Boosted Panda

Sweet!
Just remember to baby it for the first 500 miles.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:37 AM

overall i think you have made a good choice on parts. I love the fidanza and exedy is the same or better than ACT. Good luck with everything.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:40 AM

i have the exedy and fidanza flywheel. my stock clutch was toast and after putting in a new tranny, clutch, and flywheel it feels like a brand new car.

the reason most say it hurts your 1/4 time is that the ease of launching with the lightened flywheel is decreased. the fidanza is not a SUPER light flywheel and i think it works perfectly on our cars.

once you get used to launching with the new clutch and flywheel you 'should' see a drop in your 60's.

the rpms are a good bit lighter off idle than with the stock flywheel. so it takes some time to get used to it. but all in all if i had to do it all over again i would get the same exact setup. it makes the car more fun to drive.

--Paul