4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ILLUMINAS: Need Them Now, Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Chassis Freak

ILLUMINAS: Need Them Now, Cheap!

I've ordered springs and I need Illuminas. Unfortunately the great deal in the Group Deal forum is on hold because the guy is indisposed until the middle of June. It is $425 shipped. Does anyone know where I can find Illuminas at a price close to that NOW? I want to get them ASAP and there aren't any for 4th-gens on eBay currently. Everything I see is over $500. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:35 PM

Keep checking on ebay there is a guy who has them for around $370. I just looked but cannot find him. He will probably have more on there by the weekend. Good luck!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Chassis Freak

I see nothing but the Tokico struts/springs kit for a 4th-gen Maxima. I just want the Illumina struts. What are your search term(s) to find them???
Old 06-01-2004, 10:16 PM

(Maxima suspension) or (Tokico Illuminas)
But when you search for (Tokico Illuminas) all you'll find for $370 is the HP series not the adj. type. I swear to jesus that you will find Illuminas on there for $370. I was just about to buy them on Saturday. I suggest trying on the weekend.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:55 AM

I got in on the groupdeal a while back. When we paypaled the money, i think it was to the same person selling the HP's on ebay. try to contact jdmwerks13 . he may be able to hook you up. btw, i bought the struts about 3 months ago, but didn't install them till this past weekend. i can't believe i waited so long. they are sooooo much better than my AGX's. very smooth with a lot of control.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought my Tokico kit off of eBay from jdmwerks. It arrived 4 days after I paid with paypal. Very happy. The eMail is: jdmwerks@earthlink.net
Good luck.
P.S. I don't think he had the Illuminas for $370. If I remember right, I believe they were around $435 on eBay. I bought the kit for $560 shipped.
BTW, nostrixoxide, I'm not calling you a liar. Perhaps someone else had the Illuminas for $370, but I think this guy's price was higher.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:42 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Middle of June eh? Nice, I didn't see that GD. The clunking is getting worse on these crap-*** AGX's so mid june should be perfecto.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:00 AM

If you are in a hurry, get them from SWA. Mention Maxima Org to get $450 delivered price. I received mine in a few days.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:21 AM
THT
Throbbing member

I just called today to check on that price and it's good until at least next week. $450 shipped is a helluva deal.

~THT
Old 06-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Chassis Freak

Thanks to all! I e-mailed JDMWerks and if he doesn't reply today (does not currently have them on eBay for 4th gen), I'm going to just get them from Southwest. $450 shipped is not bad at all. Their new web store is kind of fxcked up, price listings are weird...nothing like a phone call saying you're from the Org.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by endus
Middle of June eh? Nice, I didn't see that GD. The clunking is getting worse on these crap-*** AGX's so mid june should be perfecto.
can you describe the clunking sound... mine are doing the same thing, well the fronts are anyway and they are less than a year old

thanks,

Ant
Old 06-02-2004, 09:40 AM

SouthWest Auto Works would probably be a really good bet. Go for that.

If you had more time, you would probably be able to find them cheaper in the classifieds. I mean, I got some from someone for $320 shipped. They have been used for 800 miles only.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:14 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by ny96max
can you describe the clunking sound... mine are doing the same thing, well the fronts are anyway and they are less than a year old

thanks,

Ant
It sems to happen mostly when moving at moderate to low speeds over rounded bumps...like it won't happen if you hit a pothole, but it will if there's a little mound in the pavement at the stoplight.

I had my car checked by the dealer and they said it was the struts. I was inclined to believe them at first, but I'm starting to have doubts. It just seems like the clunking is too loud and it even seems to happen with steering while stopped a bit. I'm wondering if one of the bushings might be bad. I mean I TOLD the dealership to check everything...tie rods, etc....but who knows if they did or not....they seemed to freak out a little about it being lowered soo....

My struts are about 1 year old as well and do not seem to be blown...I don't see any oil...the car handles fine. The struts are still the #1 suspect since others have said that they got clunking before theirs went bad, but we'll see.

I'm probably just going to replace the struts and everything else I can figure out how to replace at the same time....the clunking is really starting to bother me.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:24 PM

i think shox.com has them for $445. im pretty sure its shox.com or shocks.com or something like that. it did a search on google for maxima illumina and found them. then i called custommaxima and had them price match
Old 06-02-2004, 12:36 PM

Masaccio theres some on ebay right now for 424$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...480388839&rd=1

if thats what youre lookin for good luck
Old 06-02-2004, 01:55 PM

I just got these and didn't see where to adjust them.
From that picture on ebay, it looks like on the end that would be lowest to the ground?
I guess I will have to look again.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:10 PM

from what I understand, there should be a little screw type thingy on the top. Just use a screw driver and turn left or right to the proper adjustment...
Old 06-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Kta920
Masaccio theres some on ebay right now for 424$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...480388839&rd=1

if thats what youre lookin for good luck
Thanks, but I saw that long ago. That's misleading. That's for 5th gens (production date 4/99 to 02). 4th gens will say 95-99.

The price on Shox.com is $479. So I will be calling Southwest tomorrow unless the JDMwerks guy gets back to me. Thanks, everyone.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by endus
It sems to happen mostly when moving at moderate to low speeds over rounded bumps...like it won't happen if you hit a pothole, but it will if there's a little mound in the pavement at the stoplight.

I had my car checked by the dealer and they said it was the struts. I was inclined to believe them at first, but I'm starting to have doubts. It just seems like the clunking is too loud and it even seems to happen with steering while stopped a bit. I'm wondering if one of the bushings might be bad. I mean I TOLD the dealership to check everything...tie rods, etc....but who knows if they did or not....they seemed to freak out a little about it being lowered soo....

My struts are about 1 year old as well and do not seem to be blown...I don't see any oil...the car handles fine. The struts are still the #1 suspect since others have said that they got clunking before theirs went bad, but we'll see.

I'm probably just going to replace the struts and everything else I can figure out how to replace at the same time....the clunking is really starting to bother me.

first check the strut mounts i used kyb strut mounts and after a week or so i started to hear the same noise you describe someone told me the kyb were crap i put back my old oem mounts and the noise dissappear now i have to buy new oems my are worn outs but are better than new kyb's but the kyb's are not as good as i though because my to fronts are leaking after 6 months oil si leaking where the adjusting dial is
Old 06-03-2004, 10:48 AM

You might want to get some new front strut bearings and other goodies when you install.
While you have it all apart, it would be a good idea to update some of this maintenance stuff.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:09 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by maximus_pr
first check the strut mounts i used kyb strut mounts and after a week or so i started to hear the same noise you describe someone told me the kyb were crap i put back my old oem mounts and the noise dissappear now i have to buy new oems my are worn outs but are better than new kyb's but the kyb's are not as good as i though because my to fronts are leaking after 6 months oil si leaking where the adjusting dial is
Thanks, I will def check them...maybe I'll grab a spring compressor this weekend and take it all apart.

@Bru: I actually did buy replacements for pretty much all the wear items but the butthole I had install them said I "didn't need them" and I should "just return them" I'm like dude...I didn't buy them without even checking the old ones for you not to put them on the car...
Old 06-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
You might want to get some new front strut bearings and other goodies when you install.
While you have it all apart, it would be a good idea to update some of this maintenance stuff.
YES I want to do this but I need to know all the stuff that should be replaced. I have a 99 with 76K miles.

The front strut bearings you're talking about: are they Nissan OEM parts then? Besides Motivational rear strut mounts (which are apparently no longer sold???) and some Energy Suspension bushings (which ones? there are a ton), what else should I consider when I'm doing springs and struts?