4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

$3000+ to spend

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 10:54 PM
brotherhood of tq

i think you should take your three grand and invest it in something else... buy stock or something and once you get to be alittle older that stock could get you a nice car.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:36 AM
wat

Ok, the reason why im putting in so many hours this summer is for my car. I plan to fix it up, for example: I need to repaint my back bumper, fix the ypipe (replace with headers), get tint, get a radar detector, etc.

So I might aswell buy some big stuff while im at it.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:04 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Kevlo, I disagree. IMO tranny coolers are only needed if power is dramatically increased. VB is a different story. Thats why I said he could DR for free and not need a tranny cooler. I'm of the opinion and follow the theory that with the DR off the TC spins less time spinning freely and thus produces less heat. It may put more stress on tranny internals but that doesn't create heat. Ah, what do I know. I've been trying to destroy my auto for 15K. Hasn't worked yet.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by broaner22
Kevlo, I disagree. IMO tranny coolers are only needed if power is dramatically increased. VB is a different story. Thats why I said he could DR for free and not need a tranny cooler. I'm of the opinion and follow the theory that with the DR off the TC spins less time spinning freely and thus produces less heat. It may put more stress on tranny internals but that doesn't create heat. Ah, what do I know. I've been trying to destroy my auto for 15K. Hasn't worked yet.

Oh I see.

Well if you want to destroy your auto, nuetral rev to 6500 and drop it into drive.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:44 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Thanks. I've done that once. Back when I had my temps. Now I don't want to destroy it because my mom approved after an intense discussion. Now its ACT St 1 and B&M SS'ed i30 tranny for me. Hopefully by october but definitely by X-Max. Thats why I've been asking if anyone wants my tranny. Seeing as its been driven hard I don't want to sell it to anyone that wants to use it as is but I recomend it for anyone wanting to beef up their auto with beastly stuff. You think Level 10 would buy it from me? The going price is $100 for any .org memeber.(+ shipping)
Old 06-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Kevlo for President

Try to sell it to http://www.maximumtuning.net/

They do alot of stuff with our trannys
Old 06-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Hooooooonda.....

A VB and a trans cooler is NOT beefing up the trans, not sure who told you it was. Don't waste your money on a POS test pipe, if you knew anything you'd know why I said that.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:17 PM
wat

Originally Posted by Big D
A VB and a trans cooler is NOT beefing up the trans, not sure who told you it was. Don't waste your money on a POS test pipe, if you knew anything you'd know why I said that.
Yes I know that isnt beefing up the tranny, exactly why im avoiding a supercharger. But it does help. As far as the test pipe, i thought i cleared this up? Read through the first page, I said the only reason is because i want to put a resonator there to help quiet down the exhause, and the cat is all rusted out anyways. I can have the same shop that made my catback, cut out the cat and weld in a resonator there. Its just another step to clean up the exhaust. I know it yields no power, it'll cost me probably $20. Cant go wrong.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Hooooooonda.....

It's illegal and it's bad for the environment. I'm no GREEN PEACE hippie but that **** is wrong.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Just get a supercharger, VB mod, Y-PIPE skip the rest.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by BlueC
I know what you are saying loren, but I like my wheels. I havent found any affordable lightweight rims I like. Plus $1500 would take away alot from my other stuff, and it doesnt really affect performance as much. My stock 16s are already fine as far as weight. As far as how the headers look, Ill enjoy it, when I work on my car, Ill enjoy the reflection off the headers. Not some crummy old rusted piping. And If I enjoy it, thats what counts right? Im under my car several times a month, might aswell be happy on what I see. And creating less heat will help keep the engine bay air somewhat cooler, its better than nothing.
The wheels/tires affect performance than you realize. I mean, some people take off serious time from their 1/4 mile with improvments on just these. Caesar's Chariot took off like .3 or .4 in 1/4 mile just from lighter wheels.

Get some Rotas. The 16" are pretty light and they only cost like $500 shipped. The 17" ones only weigh like 16.5lbs.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:06 AM
BOSS

I just don't get people who say they have $X,XXX to spend. WTF?

I guess I don't look at money the same way. It sounds so stupid too IMO - it sounds as though you don't know what to do with your money, which is sad. Why is that sad? Well, I doubt that one really has lots of money because logically, any one car enthusiast with lots of it would not be driving a Maxima.

I understand that he wants to spend the money on performance mods, but I find it such a waste to just blow 3 grand or more at once on mods, which will bring no significant gains in any area unless of course he goes for FI, but I doubt he will.

I guess I just think about these things a little differently. I always strive for a better car, while at the same time attempting to mod it and make it more "performance" oriented. What is an average 4th gen max worth anyway, 10 g's at the most? Hello, some of our cars are nearly 10 years old. I own a 99 and my car is already 5 years old. And don't get me wrong, it's different when one puts 5 g's in mods into his/her car over years than when one shells out 3 g's at once - stupid, very stupid - shows you can't manage your money right.

Anyway, 3 g's is a lot of money for a down payment. If I were you, I'd put that money down towards a newer Maxima, instead of wasting it on idiotic mods which will leave you displeased in the end.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:36 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Boss, word! You nailed it on the head brother. These questions are things you ask your best buddy or your GF. Oh yeah, my baby was 10 years old two months ago.

Kevlo, thanks. I was thinking about them but didn't know if they would even be interested seeing as shipping would be nearly the price of the tranny if not more.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dude save it and just wait a few. The car isnt going anywhere. Then once a month treat her to something small or every 3 months treat her to something big. At least that way you wont be killing yourself paying off all the intrest that will build up making you want to kill yourself. Just a thought
Old 06-14-2004, 09:47 PM

Dude, just do what makes you happy, life is too short to tight wod your way to retirement..

PS: If had had 3 G's to blow, I'd be down for a set of headers (they make the coolest sound...and I'm a chick, so they gotta be pretty dog gone cool to get me excited, and have proven their worth for us on the track)tint, a good suspension set up, some wheels, stillen lip to balance out the front, clear lights on front and rear, racing seats - it feels good and snuggly round the corners, catback exhaust, and I would definitely do the CAI.... that's what I'm going to replace our Injen with once I get the JWT Cams....

Anyways, investing is good, and all that, but if you're working for something that you really love your car and modding, and choose things you'll enjoy - then do it!
I busted my buns purchasing all the parts for our car, but 10G's later, I wouldn't change anything... I love the direction our car has taken, and am proud of all the work, albeit hard work, that we've put into it.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Our car? I'm so confused.

Are you and ceasar the same person??
Old 06-15-2004, 02:16 AM

I didn't want to mother you, but it's a terribly awful idea to be spending that money on it, much like Dave B and the other guy said. It's your money and you didn't ask for advice, so I'll leave it at that. goodluck.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:51 AM

Nismo-K is married to Caesar's Chariot. They have the same Maxima.....that fine white 97 one.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:10 PM

I agree with Nismo-K, life is way too short to be a tight wad. You need to find the balance between having fun with your money yet still being responsible.

i see nothing wrong with what BlueC is doing. He set out a budget, has only that much to spend, is gping to work his *** off for it, and stay out of debt. After he invests that money into the car he will take care of it that much more, no take the car for granted like some spoon-fed rich kids get.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:59 PM
wat

Originally Posted by billy_corgan
I agree with Nismo-K, life is way too short to be a tight wad. You need to find the balance between having fun with your money yet still being responsible.

i see nothing wrong with what BlueC is doing. He set out a budget, has only that much to spend, is gping to work his *** off for it, and stay out of debt. After he invests that money into the car he will take care of it that much more, no take the car for granted like some spoon-fed rich kids get.

Ive decided to stay away from the MEVI, I want my midrange power. And yes, I work hard for everything I put into my car. I just want to fix up my car, make it more fun to drive, make it nicer, and just overall better. I plan on doing my 60k service this month, along with getting SE-L floormats (mine didnt get any), sunroof visor, and fix my rear bumper cover. Things like that will my car more enjoyable to look at. Thats what matters, I could careless what other people think, im not working my a$$ off for them.

So basically, I agree with all of you on the MEVI, but i think ill still get headers. Just from what everyone has said about them, it would make my car more enjoyable to drive. I love a smooth sounding exhaust. Instead of MEVI, i think ill focus on my audio system. Maybe take out the BOSE and put in some quality speakers and a nice deck. I sitll value other people comments, but why work hard for something later? Id rather enjoy my fun over the summer, not in a few years.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:44 AM

That's what it is all about, man, you just doing what you think is best for you at the time.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:01 AM

I like the vegas idea...bet on Black! I just 2 weekends ago and doubled it! Roulette RULES!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:09 AM

supercharger
Old 06-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by Nismo_K
Dude, just do what makes you happy, life is too short to tight wod your way to retirement..
Life's too short to be paying 18% on a credit card too :lmao:

You're not being a tight wad either if you choose not to spend money you don't have, you're just being smart. We all want nice things, but some get caught up in the "got to have it now at any cost" mentality. I suggest modifying at a slow pace so you get exactly what you want and have time to enjoy the mod instead of getting everything at once. That's just my opinion though.

Too many of my friends have the "got to have it now" outlook and they drive nicer cars and live nicer houses, but at the rate their going they'll have to work well into their late 60s to keep up their status of living. Sure, putting everything towards retirement is stupid, but spending what you don't have is crazy.

Maybe I'm just getting too old (30) and grumpy