4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Going to get my Y-pipe installed soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 04:20 AM

Going to get my Y-pipe installed soon

Do any of you have any tips or know things I should point out to the muffler shop before i get it installed?
Old 06-16-2004, 05:48 AM
Upper Midwest Wheel Whore

Where the bolts are, and point out the fact that the o2 sensors require a 22mm wrench. Tell them not mess too hard with them or might get codes on them. A;so point out that the stock y-pipe is twice as heavy than new one....
Old 06-16-2004, 05:55 AM
dot dot dot ...

If you have aftermarket cat back, be sure to get a resonator.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why dont you put it on yourself?
Old 06-16-2004, 05:57 AM
I need a truck

A muffler shop would def have a O2 sensor socket. They back bolts are kinda tucked so you never know what'll happen.

My bolts were so rusted on the cat that we had to burn em off. Just prepare for unexpected minor set backs
Old 06-16-2004, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by hectorc
Where the bolts are, and point out the fact that the o2 sensors require a 22mm wrench. Tell them not mess too hard with them or might get codes on them. A;so point out that the stock y-pipe is twice as heavy than new one....
what do u mean "not mess too hard with them"? Also why does the weight matter? Thanks a lot for the tips guys
Old 06-16-2004, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you have aftermarket cat back, be sure to get a resonator.
i have a straight through muffler with otherwise stock piping...gonna be loud as f*ck huh?
Old 06-16-2004, 07:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

Maybe, before my y, I had straight muffler and aftermarket custom cat-back, 2.25, and it wasnt loud at all, but once the y and test pipe came in, it was annoying and raspy, so I changed the muffler out, and put a long resonator, and it sounds great now. But you have stock piping with the stock resonator, so I'm not sure how yours will sound. The resonator I had put on was only $40.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Maybe, before my y, I had straight muffler and aftermarket custom cat-back, 2.25, and it wasnt loud at all, but once the y and test pipe came in, it was annoying and raspy, so I changed the muffler out, and put a long resonator, and it sounds great now. But you have stock piping with the stock resonator, so I'm not sure how yours will sound. The resonator I had put on was only $40.
ahh i love how my car sounds right now as is. its absolutely perfect...i guess ill find out when i get this thing on my car
Old 06-16-2004, 07:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah, just find out and take it from there, that's what I did.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:31 AM

I would keep your stock resonator on there. I did this, and it helped a lot with the raspiness of the y-pipe. I don't think your muffler will be all that much louder than it is now. I mean, the straight through is pretty loud anyway.
While you are at the muffler shop, I would have them custom bend you some 2.5" piping from the stock resonator and cat back to the muffler and make it fit. They should be able to do this for like $50 or so, and it will add another like 5hp while you are at it.

I would also recommend putting on the y-pipe yourself. It is not that difficult, esp if you have a friend that can be handy and give you a couple of tools. If you do the y-pipe yourself, you are only looking at like $50 install job total, for like a 15-20 hp gain. Go for it.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:32 AM

Oh, and get some penetrating spray. Use it on all the bolts that hold on the y-pipe that you already have. Do this a couple of days before you are wanting to do the "operation." It will help loosen those bolts and then you will be able to get them off without problems. It worked for me.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ludacris
what do u mean "not mess too hard with them"? Also why does the weight matter? Thanks a lot for the tips guys

it means theres not much room around there, and tehy let it drop after they loosen it, banging it against everything, itll damaget he sensor if theyre notcarefully movedaround, i spliced some O2 sensors before, i cut the wire too short, had to solder and etc, the pinhead mechanic messed iwth my o2 sensor, twisted the wires and stuff to get it in an out, broke teh splices, created extra work for me. another thing is check the condition of your bolts, your in CA, they shouldnt be as bad as the northeast...i suggest save youreslf the money and try it youreslf, see if teh bolts can be loosened where the ypipe connects tot he cat conv. if theyre too rusted, get a shop to do it,

antoher thing is if your getting the WS ypipe, do the dave b method of preventing rattle, he took a 4 inch hose clamp and put it around the pipe and attached it to the transmission mount so that there would be no grainy feeling through the pedal
Old 06-16-2004, 08:54 AM

its gonna be loud and obnoxious if you have a generic straight through muffler, even with a resonator
Old 06-16-2004, 09:00 AM
VIP Maxima

take off the clamp around the cat convertor or u gonna have rattling problems

Old 06-16-2004, 10:14 AM

hey man its not hard to change all you need is a viriety of extentions and swivals and a 1/2 inch drive and a 14mm and 12mm and a ajustable wrench for the o2 sensors and about an hour of your time
Old 06-16-2004, 11:02 AM

mansurxk, is right, make sure the shop that you go to is very careful with the o2 sensors. i was too lazy yo do mine myself, and b/c of that i ended up having to pay another $85 for a new front(left bank) o2 sensor. when they took the front sensor out, the end of it bang aginst something and killed the sensor, so i was SOL.
but besides that i think you will be very happy with the overall performance of the pipe. What did you end up buying??
Old 06-16-2004, 11:44 AM

Thanks guys for all the tips

Ok well the muffler shop did a good job, everything came out fine and no rattles, $45 for the install. Perfect fitment according to the mechanic..so props to warpspeed.

This thing sounds AWESOME with my straight through muffler. I was so scared when the guy started it but it had a very deep burble at idle...had a friend do a couple drive-bys and it sounds really deep and mean until the higher rpms it gets kinda higher pitched but not that noticeable. The mechanic said it was bc i have a good muffler. I feel it pulling harder in the upper rpms too...whew im happy with this mod!
Old 06-16-2004, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 97SEMAXI
What did you end up buying??
warpspeed mandrel bent aluminized steel from the group deal
Old 06-16-2004, 11:51 AM

yeah, what brand did you go with for your pipe?
I don't really have any rattling problems unless I rev it way up and spin on wet pavement. then, I can hear the b-pipe hitting under the carriage. I don't know that this is because of the y. I think it has something to do with how the b-pipe I had custom made was welded on there.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:18 PM
will fly for food

my original Y pipe was so corroded that every bolt broke... and my original cat would not come off... so yeah, it's definitely in my garage attached to my stock y pipe... and im running a cat off a 98
Old 06-16-2004, 01:56 PM

I had my Budget Y-pipe installed last Thursday. There were a couple of problems with grating underneath but it turned out to be some part of the original exhaust system that had to be moved slightly as there was a noise when I booted it in 1st or 2nd or turned right at a stop sign or light. It was adjusted for free and I'm happy with what I have. Noticeably more oomph, particularly above say 4,500 rpm in 2nd and 3rd. For the C$75 cash (no tax included) I paid, I was glad to get it over with. I have a friend who could have helped me and he has all the tools, jackstands etc. but a) I was anxious to get it in, and b) it wasn't worth the aggravation, and c) the shop specializes in custom exhaust work and the installation went flawlessly. It too about 1-1/4 hours.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I had my Budget Y-pipe installed last Thursday. There were a couple of problems with grating underneath but it turned out to be some part of the original exhaust system that had to be moved slightly as there was a noise when I booted it in 1st or 2nd or turned right at a stop sign or light. It was adjusted for free and I'm happy with what I have. Noticeably more oomph, particularly above say 4,500 rpm in 2nd and 3rd. For the C$75 cash (no tax included) I paid, I was glad to get it over with. I have a friend who could have helped me and he has all the tools, jackstands etc. but a) I was anxious to get it in, and b) it wasn't worth the aggravation, and c) the shop specializes in custom exhaust work and the installation went flawlessly. It too about 1-1/4 hours.
i was too lazy and didnt wanna deal with it after all the screws ups ive had in the past installing stuff with my friends..

my shop finshed in like 40 min...most of it was waiting for the y-pipe to cool down