4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Car, What kind of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Car, What kind of oil?

I just bought a 95 Nissan Maxima GLE (Auto). I have 82k miles on it and I want to change the oil asap. The last owner changed the oil every 5k or 6k. What do you recommend I use? A buddy of mine said I should maybe use Blended? Do you think I should use that or what the book recommends?

-Stos
Old 07-28-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

Mobil One! make sure u use a nissan oil filter also. get nissan parts 25% off at jerryromenissan.com use "maxima" promo code. i bought 10 for dirt cheap
Old 07-28-2004, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by killcrap
Mobil One! make sure u use a nissan oil filter also. get nissan parts 25% off at jerryromenissan.com use "maxima" promo code. i bought 10 for dirt cheap

I second that.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have 140k on my Max, and I've been using Valvoline MaxLife. It's been working just fine for me. Wonder if it actually works the way it's marketed . . . .
Old 07-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I used Mobil 1 from day one. I bought my '99 new in December of '98. I recently changed to Red Line oil but IMHO either synthetic would do well. I use a K&N filter or a Mobil 1 filter. I have 142,800 on the clock and she runs like a champ
Old 07-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxNismo1
I have 140k on my Max, and I've been using Valvoline MaxLife. It's been working just fine for me. Wonder if it actually works the way it's marketed . . . .
i have over 160k on my car, and my mechanic recommended adding some engine oil treatment (like STP or any other trusted brand) to my regular oil. i don't use synthetic because it just gets too expensive for an older engine like mine that occasionally slurps up a whole quart of oil for no apparent reason.

the valvoline maxlife and the other high mileage oils are pretty much regular oil with the STP-type additive already mixed in. so do the math yourself and figure out if it's cheaper to buy regular oil + STP or the maxlife oil. just DON'T add the STP additives to the maxlife oil--it will be giving you a double-dose of those additives, which is not necessarily a good thing

also, fram (and possibly other brands) makes a "double guard" filter that has a teflon additive that essentially does the same thing as the STP-stuff. so if you use these filters (i don't--something just seems weird about them) again don't add STP or use the "maxlife" oil because you'd be getting a double-dose of additives which could really gunk up your engine
Old 07-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by someone2
... also, fram (and possibly other brands) makes a "double guard" filter that has a teflon additive that essentially does the same thing as the STP-stuff. so if you use these filters (i don't--something just seems weird about them) again don't add STP or use the "maxlife" oil because you'd be getting a double-dose of additives which could really gunk up your engine
Recently I heard that pretty much everything claiming to have teflon as some magic bulletproof ingredient is bull ... teflon needs to reach a certain heat to "activate" and work wonders, and that heat isn't reached in most applications. An oil filter can get pretty hot, though, so I can't call that one. I heard this after buying a DuPont wheel cleaner with teflon, thinking it would rock, but it's nothing special. I don't know whether the info was correct, but makes at least some sense considering the heat applied to pots and pans and, uh ... woks, and the like.