4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Max Starting Problems... Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 06:58 AM

95 Max Starting Problems... Again

My other thread started to get cluttered so I decided to post another with some additonal information.

My original thread can be found here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=328502

Original Thread....
My mom drives a 2004 Nissan Maxima and I love it.
So I went out and bought me a 1995 Nissan Maxima.

It is a 95 Automatic, Either GLE or GXE (Not sure which)

The problem I have is that it doesn't start without giving it some gas.
The car turns over and the rpm climb when I turn the key but then they just drop to zero. If I give it some gas while turning the key it starts fine.

I have also noticed when the car first starts that the idle rpm in park and drive is usually pretty high, around 1500rpm.

Once the car is running for a while the idel rpm settles at about 650rpm where it's supposed to be. The less work the engine is doing the longer it takes to settle.

The documents I found that might pertain to this are.

http://www.jatan.net/tsbs/044578.pdf
and/or
http://www.jatan.net/tsbs/047715.pdf

My vehicle is a pre January 10, 1995 vehicle as is talked about in the first document.

I havn't tried either. I do not have a CONSULT (would like to buy one though, but don't know where.) I was wondering what you guys thought before I tried anything out?

Con't...
Oh and I forgot that once the car is running I can shut it off and start it again with not problem. I've let it sit off for like 10-15min before re-starting and it still starts just fine.

New Additonal Info...
The additional info I would like to add is that my car will always start if I hold the key in for a long time, and every time the car turns over the rpm goes a little higher.

(I don't know what noise to use for the turning over sound so I'll just use "hmmm" in my description)
So it'll be like this I turn the key and hold it in start for a bout 4 seconds.
hmmm rev to like 100rpm
hmmm rev to like 200rpm
hmmm rev to like 300rpm
I release key to rest in ON position.
The car is now running but it's not ideling at 650-750 yet
It'll go vroom to 300rpm drop back down to like 100rpm
Then vromm to 350rpm and drop back down to 100rpm
Then vromm to 400rpm and drop back down to 100rpm
Then vromm to 500rpm and drop back down to 100rpm
Then vromm to 650rpm and it levels off around there and runs perfectly fine after that.

All these numbers are ruff estimates, I didn't sit in the car and write down all the rpms and exact amount of time and stuff. I didn't figure it would really matter.

Thank you in advance for the great info you guys usually give.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:55 PM

Sounds like what mine is doing. Someone in the other thread said his was doing the same thing and he changed the ignition switch and the problem was gone. I am gonna try it thurs or friday and I will post if it helped me or not.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Boothhead
My other thread started to get cluttered so I decided to post another with some additonal information.

My original thread can be found here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=328502

Original Thread....
My mom drives a 2004 Nissan Maxima and I love it.
So I went out and bought me a 1995 Nissan Maxima.

It is a 95 Automatic, Either GLE or GXE (Not sure which)

The problem I have is that it doesn't start without giving it some gas.
The car turns over and the rpm climb when I turn the key but then they just drop to zero. If I give it some gas while turning the key it starts fine.

I have also noticed when the car first starts that the idle rpm in park and drive is usually pretty high, around 1500rpm.

Once the car is running for a while the idel rpm settles at about 650rpm where it's supposed to be. The less work the engine is doing the longer it takes to settle.

The documents I found that might pertain to this are.

http://www.jatan.net/tsbs/044578.pdf
and/or
http://www.jatan.net/tsbs/047715.pdf

My vehicle is a pre January 10, 1995 vehicle as is talked about in the first document.

I havn't tried either. I do not have a CONSULT (would like to buy one though, but don't know where.) I was wondering what you guys thought before I tried anything out?

Con't...
Oh and I forgot that once the car is running I can shut it off and start it again with not problem. I've let it sit off for like 10-15min before re-starting and it still starts just fine.

New Additonal Info...
The additional info I would like to add is that my car will always start if I hold the key in for a long time, and every time the car turns over the rpm goes a little higher.

(I don't know what noise to use for the turning over sound so I'll just use "hmmm" in my description)
So it'll be like this I turn the key and hold it in start for a bout 4 seconds.
hmmm rev to like 100rpm
hmmm rev to like 200rpm
hmmm rev to like 300rpm
I release key to rest in ON position.
The car is now running but it's not ideling at 650-750 yet
It'll go vroom to 300rpm drop back down to like 100rpm
Then vromm to 350rpm and drop back down to 100rpm
Then vromm to 400rpm and drop back down to 100rpm
Then vromm to 500rpm and drop back down to 100rpm
Then vromm to 650rpm and it levels off around there and runs perfectly fine after that.

All these numbers are ruff estimates, I didn't sit in the car and write down all the rpms and exact amount of time and stuff. I didn't figure it would really matter.

Thank you in advance for the great info you guys usually give.
Have your IAC/AAC valve harness inspected. Clean the harness with contact cleaner and see if that are improvements.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Custom User Title

IF all else fails, check to see that your EGR diaphram isn't stuck open... Trust me it's the easiest fix in the world, move it up and down until it falls back down. My car would idle like $hit, took several turns of the key to start, took half of my engine apart to find the problem. The diaphram is is under the intake near the engine, its copper colored, one vacuum hose going to it and it's round. You can't miss it. Hope you find the problem!