4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

installing foglights

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 10:28 PM

How easy is it to install the headlights (how much time/effort)? Does it make much difference whether to install the factory or aftermarket (RoadBoy)? I have heard that the cars already come pre-wired for it, is it really so (I have a 96 GLE)?

Any additional comments welcome

Roman
Old 04-11-2001, 05:51 AM

My preference? Factory. All GXEs with C&C, and GLEs come prewired. Call or visit your local Nissan dealer and ask them for the foglight installaion kit, but make sure to tell them that you have a GLE, or else they will give you the SE kit, which is different. The foglights look and operate exactly the same as the SEs. Its turned on by a switch on your turn stalk (that turn signal thingy). Cost: from 200 to 240 depending on where you get them. Alot of people get them from Courtesy Nissan in Texas, they give Maxima.org members a discount on certain things.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It took me about an hour to install factory fogs with a help of a friend. Not that hard, you just need some patience
Plus we did all the work at night using flash lights...man, that was fun
Old 04-11-2001, 02:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can get them for $176 plus shipping from Courtesy online. I ordered mine a few weeks and installed them no problems.
Old 04-11-2001, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by WaarrEagle
You can get them for $176 plus shipping from Courtesy online. I ordered mine a few weeks and installed them no problems.
I have a 95 GXE and I want to install the factory foglights
I was wondering if the blanks in the lower bumper are easily removed or if I need to get one that is already cutout. Also, how do i tell if i have the C&C package?
Old 04-11-2001, 02:21 PM

I installed hyper white aftermarket lights and think they look a lot better than the factory. It took over an hour to install. I originally had it wired from the battery to a switch but kept forgetting to turn off the foglights. Now, I've got the wired running from the power wire of the sidemarkers so that the foglights cut off and on when my parking lights do.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:16 PM

I believe that the GXE's power seat only came with the C&C package. Do you have one? Also, something about intermittent wipers and/or Cruise Control.
Old 04-12-2001, 07:03 AM

differences?

I was just wondering what the differences are between the SE/GLE foglights. When I bought mine half a year back from Courtesy, I never told them and the set they sent fit okay--but I was just curious...so maybe next time I won't make a boo-boo...

Originally posted by medicsonic
My preference? Factory. All GXEs with C&C, and GLEs come prewired. Call or visit your local Nissan dealer and ask them for the foglight installaion kit, but make sure to tell them that you have a GLE, or else they will give you the SE kit, which is different. The foglights look and operate exactly the same as the SEs. Its turned on by a switch on your turn stalk (that turn signal thingy). Cost: from 200 to 240 depending on where you get them. Alot of people get them from Courtesy Nissan in Texas, they give Maxima.org members a discount on certain things.
Old 04-12-2001, 07:19 AM

Re: differences?

Originally posted by humaras
I was just wondering what the differences are between the SE/GLE foglights. When I bought mine half a year back from Courtesy, I never told them and the set they sent fit okay--but I was just curious...so maybe next time I won't make a boo-boo...

NO difference. Fog lights are the same, no matter what model. Only the generation makes a crucial difference (97-99 fogs are shaped differently from the 95-96).
Old 04-12-2001, 07:31 AM

As for the fpglights, no difference. But the GXE/GLE foglight kit COMES with the turn stalk, the relay, the cutout pattern for the bumper, the rubber for the hole in the bumper and the brackets. If you already had the SE, you wouldn't need any of these.
Old 04-12-2001, 07:33 AM

I believe that the GXE's power seat only came with the C&C package. Do you have one? Also, something about intermittent wipers and/or Cruise Control.
Then I have the C&C but where are the "pre-wired" wires located... will i see them when i cut out the plate.. or do i have to search?
Old 04-12-2001, 07:50 AM

They are taped up behind the bumper in the area just below the headlights with a bit of gray tape. Its rather easy to find if you take off the underbody guards (those plastic things that cover the engine on the bottom of the car) and look up. aThose things are in place with three screws.
Old 04-12-2001, 08:02 AM

Two things

1. Fogs are prewired in the GXE only if you have C&C AND ABS and auto tranny.

2. Courtesy has the fogs for $200 (95-96) and $227 (97-99). http://www.nissanparts.cc has the 97+ lights for $171.
Old 04-19-2001, 02:56 PM
seanqlee

Just got my courtesy foglight kit for 95 GLE

Help! They didn't include a instruction for the installation. I have no idea what to do with this good stuff. Does anybody have step by step instructios for the kit(hopefully with pics)?? Also, what is the best "tool" to cut out the hole? Any suggestions on the type of knife(or is there a better tool than this?) that I should use? Please help!!

Old 04-19-2001, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Roman-dude
How easy is it to install the headlights (how much time/effort)? Does it make much difference whether to install the factory or aftermarket (RoadBoy)? I have heard that the cars already come pre-wired for it, is it really so (I have a 96 GLE)?

Roman

Let me know if you get the factory fogs. I have a 96 GLE also but my front bumper has some funky covering where the fogs would go. It's the shape of the fogs but has some textured lines running across them. Do you have the same getup? I was just wondering what it looks like if you cut the bumper cover and then install fogs. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2001, 03:31 PM

Re: Two things

Originally posted by voltman
1. Fogs are prewired in the GXE only if you have C&C AND ABS and auto tranny.

2. Courtesy has the fogs for $200 (95-96) and $227 (97-99). http://www.nissanparts.cc has the 97+ lights for $171.
I believe you are mistaken about the ABS. Mine doesn't have ABS and it IS prewired.
Old 04-19-2001, 03:58 PM

Re: Just got my courtesy foglight kit for 95 GLE

Originally posted by seanqlee
Help! They didn't include a instruction for the installation. I have no idea what to do with this good stuff. Does anybody have step by step instructios for the kit(hopefully with pics)?? Also, what is the best "tool" to cut out the hole? Any suggestions on the type of knife(or is there a better tool than this?) that I should use? Please help!!
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~cchiu1/fogs.html

This is a copy of the factory install manual. I used a straight edge and a heat gun to cut the material, its rather simple if you have a sharp cutter. Watch out for the inside top edge though, its the hard part to cut out smoothly.
Old 04-19-2001, 06:08 PM
seanqlee

Re: Re: Just got my courtesy foglight kit for 95 GLE

http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~cchiu1/fogs.html

This is a copy of the factory install manual. I used a straight edge and a heat gun to cut the material, its rather simple if you have a sharp cutter. Watch out for the inside top edge though, its the hard part to cut out smoothly.
does it matter if its 95? the manual is for 97. Yea, I was wondering how i would cut the corners smoothly with razor.. Is heat gun better to use? How did you do it?

Old 04-19-2001, 06:31 PM

The ONLY difference is the cutout. For the early 4th Gens, its a hole that you have to cut out, for the late 4th gens, its the bar thing. Just use a heat gun at a medium setting about 1 foot away from the bumper and cut, it should cut like butter. You should smooth out the hole, but it is covered by a gasket, so it doesn't have to be exact.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:49 AM
Banned

what i did...

was i used an exacto knife and made a punch thriugh and then pulled the knife along the line i wanted to cut... it went fairly quickly.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yep, I have a '97 GXE with Cruise and Security package, but NO ABS.....The wires are there.

IanS
Old 04-22-2001, 01:38 PM

Fog Lights on 1996 GLE

I wanted to add fog lights when I bought my GLE but the Nissan dealer advised me against it, saying that the factory GLE wiring would not allow it. I am really interested in this topic and would appreciate any info that proves it can be done.
Originally posted by Roman-dude

Roman
Old 04-22-2001, 03:12 PM

Tell him to look at TSB 96-060. Its the TSB that announces the Nissan GXE/GLE FOGLIGHT KIT. Part number for the foglight kit is 999F1-7F000. That's a NISSAN part number.