4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wear your seat belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:56 AM

Wear your seat belt

Young caucasian male killed last night in a rollover on I 95. Would have survived if he had his seatbelt on. Wear your seatbelts! I get tired of seeing stupid stuff like this.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:59 AM

thanks for the precaution will do.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:03 AM
renatonetmail

the driver side seatbelt i have is so softy and slow when retracting i have to litelrally doing by hand? is this normal?

Old 03-17-2005, 06:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by renatonetmail
the driver side seatbelt i have is so softy and slow when retracting i have to litelrally doing by hand? is this normal?
Same for me.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:15 AM

No, it should fit sung and react to the slightest G force. There is a rocker arm that swings forward and pins itself against the belt when your brakes are applied. The retractor should work freely and keep the belt sung. Thats the part that wears out on seat belts first. Replace it if it does not work normally. Also if your car had ever been in a crash and stress has been placed on your seatbelt. It should be replaced. There are indicators on the seat belt to tell if it has been stressed in a crash.

I'm also a child passenger safty tech and I know a ton on adult and child restrants.

There are some crashes that are just not survivable no matter what you have in your car. But most are.

Also, just wearing your lap belt is not safe eighter. Wear 100% of your seatbelt.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. I just want everyone to be smart and safe!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:16 AM

I've made it a habit to put on my seatbelt everytime i get in the car. I dont want to die young. Anyone who doesnt wear their seatbelt really should start.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:19 AM
renatonetmail

Originally Posted by Fireman Ron
No, it should fit sung and react to the slightest G force. There is a rocker arm that swings forward and pins itself against the belt when your brakes are applied. The retractor should work freely and keep the belt sung. Thats the part that wears out on seat belts first. Replace it if it does not work normally. Also if your car had ever been in a crash and stress has been placed on your seatbelt. It should be replaced. There are indicators on the seat belt to tell if it has been stressed in a crash.

I'm also a child passenger safty tech and I know a ton on adult and child restrants.

There are some crashes that are just not survivable no matter what you have in your car. But most are.

never been in accident but coincidentally the passenger side retracts just fine. Mine is the floffy and softy... what is exactly what i need to replace? is there any stickies or guide-thru-pics on this matter?

Thanks... if its not i volunteer to make 1 with my Digital-cam to share with the community. That's given the fact I know what to change. LOL

Old 03-17-2005, 06:25 AM

That would be a good mod to share. It would be cool to bring a safty thread into the org.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:22 AM

I remember seeing a TSB out on this issue... I think it involved cleaning the plastic anchor piece where the seat belt travels frequently and applying some sort of sticker to prevent friction.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Always sunny in philly

Its the first thing I do when i enter my car. My days of driving with my seat low lookin' all cool is over.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:00 PM
down with Bing

i agree with nismotic!! I turn my lights on too even when i move my car in the drive way just out of habit i put my seat belt on and turn on my head lights
Old 03-17-2005, 12:15 PM

I've heard that a dealer is required to repair any problems with seatbelts as they are a primary restraint system. I'd call a dealer and see if they will look at them and possibly repair them for free.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:26 PM

If you arent sure about your seat belt, just tug on the top part very quickly and you should feel it lock.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:47 PM

i cant drive without a seatbelt it mkaes me feel like im like all loose and not in the seat. sucks for the guy to bad he didnt have his seat belt. seen it happen so many times , just wear it.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Rockin' VK56!!

I don't konw how people drive w/o seat belts. driving w/o seat belts feels like I'm doing something illegal... I guess it is illegal after all
Old 03-17-2005, 02:55 PM

Ive never drivin without my seat belt, when i dont have it on it feels weird. Good habit i guess.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:30 PM

I feel weird with out it too,
BTW I crashed my maxima feb 4 (I think) adn it was a side hit, if I wasn't wearing the seat belts I would have banged my head every where, from the force of the hit... the locking mechanism worked fine and I was held in place (and walked away perfectly fine)
Old 03-17-2005, 04:52 PM

never been in accident but coincidentally the passenger side retracts just fine. Mine is the floffy and softy... what is exactly what i need to replace? is there any stickies or guide-thru-pics on this matter?

Thanks... if its not i volunteer to make 1 with my Digital-cam to share with the community. That's given the fact I know what to change. LOL
I think the seatbelts have a life-time warranty, isn't that true ?!?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:02 PM

my brother owned a infiniti g20 that the seatbelts didn't stay tight. when he went to have our mechanic fix it he found out that seatbelts have a lifetime warranty on them. no matter what. if your seatbelt doesn't work properly go have the dealership fix it. they have to.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:04 PM
is craving Bojangles

Originally Posted by flthere
I think the seatbelts have a life-time warranty, isn't that true ?!?

if not they should. like others of you im just not comfortable in my seat without my belt on. the maxima seats are unsupportive enough even with your seatbelt holding you in; it feels like a bench seat without the belt on.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:06 PM

The org has changed for the better. The last time we had this conversation there were all kinds of morons saying they never wore one...there was even one person who tried to prove it was better NOT to wear one.

I feel wierd without one too. My parents always made sure I put it on before they drove so now I just do it by habit.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:44 PM

I have a good friend who sometimes wears hers. When she does it's only the lap belt. I have pictures from last night and unfortunately I have MANY more, from children to the very old. We are going to have an intervention with pictures. Last night I made up my mind I will not let her drive another day without me or my wife telling her"Wear your seat belt" every time I see her. It's our responability to watch each others back.

Gosh, I go back on my box again.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fireman Ron
I have a good friend who sometimes wears hers. When she does it's only the lap belt. I have pictures from last night and unfortunately I have MANY more, from children to the very old. We are going to have an intervention with pictures. Last night I made up my mind I will not let her drive another day without me or my wife telling her"Wear your seat belt" every time I see her. It's our responability to watch each others back.

Gosh, I go back on my box again.
Its more out of the way to just do the lap belt it seriously isnt uncomfortable at all, if she says it is Buy her a nissan seatbelt pad for like 10 bucks
Old 03-17-2005, 07:48 PM

When i was younger i had a habit of taking off my seatbelt as soon as i got off the main roads, well 1 day when i pulled into a parking lot i took it off as usual and ended up dragging someone. While hittin 45i got hit in my passenger side front fender by a 62 ford falcon, me nor my buddy had their seatbelts on n my 97 max just kept rollin straight, no injuries between the either of us. thank god! wear ur seatbelt..
Old 03-17-2005, 08:31 PM

Seatbelts should be covered for the life of the car. I'm not sure if just slow retraction would be covered, but they replaced the entire assembly in my Altima when I had a problem with them, no questions asked.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:54 AM

ya i always wear my seatbelt, which is more than i can say of some my friends. i tell them to buckle up, and theyre like "woooos!"
whatever tho.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Terran
The org has changed for the better. The last time we had this conversation there were all kinds of morons saying they never wore one...there was even one person who tried to prove it was better NOT to wear one.
Sounds like everyone here has been to driving school once or twice I guess they must have it in other states as well.