4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What's wrong with my ENGINE???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 07:07 AM

What's wrong with my ENGINE???

Ok, on my way to work this morning I tried to give my engines performance a closer look. I noticed it wasn't so much the sound of the engine. It was a feeling that I felt on my foot when I pushed the gas. It was like the engine was beeting. It is most noticeable from 2000-3500 RPM's. I was a little late so I didn't get a chance to let someone rev the car up so I could listen for where the beating was coming from. But when I parked at work, I reved it up but the beeting wasn't as noticeable and I didn't hear much of anything.
When I took it to the shop last week, I believe they said that somehow gas mixed into the oil or something. Is that a gasket issue?

HELP
Old 04-07-2005, 09:21 AM

what do you mean by engine beeting?
Old 04-07-2005, 03:20 PM

I don't know how to describe it really. It's not really vibrating.............I'm sorry I don't know how to describe it. I with I could becasue I need some answers
Old 04-07-2005, 03:41 PM

Gotta give more details!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:42 PM

Well, another thing that's been happening is that gas has been mixing with my oil. I just posted that up on another thread. I tried to check my oil and it had a strong gasoline smell. I'm thinking it may be the head gasket and that means a new engine. It's a 95 with 140K on it.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:42 PM

I get a sort of humming through the gas pedal and also this knocking that feels like some little troll is under there tapping on the bottom of my feet once in a while randomly. I've had this for the whole 15k I had the car for so far. I'm a 99 with 93k
Old 04-07-2005, 09:28 PM

That's what I get!!!!!!! You explained it better than I could. Only problem is the gas mixing with the oil. I can't roll with that.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:46 PM

Hold on guys. Don't be so quick to diagnose the problem. Head gasket failure does not necessarily mean a new engine, and we don't know it's the head gasket yet anyway.

What is the color of your oil? Does it smell like this if you walk the dipstick away from the car? What does the oil smell/look like when you do an oil change? What does your exhaust look/smell like? Do you see bluish smoke?

Are you overheating? Losing coolant? Getting bubbles in your coolant reservior? Do you see white smoke from the exhaust?

What is this "beeting" you describe? Really going to need more details about this one. I assure you, there are no trolls tapping your feet.

Do you have an automatic or a manual transmission?

If fuel is getting into your oil system, which is unlikely, it wouldn't be through the head gasket. Head gasket failure can only cause a loss of coolant into the combustion chamber, and combusition gasses into the cooling system. If combustion gasses get into your cooling system, a pocket can build up around your thermostat that produces a false reading and causes the engine to run very hot or even overheat.

Exhaust gasses can also tell you a lot about the health of your engine. Blue smoke means you're burning oil (this also has a distinctive smell). White smoke (not including cold mornings for a few minutes) in great amounts indicates coolant in the combustion chamber - this is steam, which will be laced with the sweet smell of antifreeze.

Also, I suggest you pull your spark plugs and take a look at them. Spark plug coloration will tell you a lot about how rich or lean the fuel system is running. It will tell you if you're burning something you're not supposed to be (ie, coolant or oil).

Get some more information together and take the time to describe the problem in detail. With more information, ORG members are better able to help you out. You know the saying "help us help you."

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:11 PM

true. i SWEAR there are trolls down there. but yea, my car runs fine, exhaust is not white smoky or blue, just the gasoline scent is very strong in the morning. My plugs are fine I guess. My coolant reservoir shows dirty coolant, but no overheating at all. oil and tranny fluid are fine. All I have is a bad KS as of the moment and everything else is in good working order. It's just that vibration I get in the gas pedal and the damn trolls.

One other thing I get is a clunking going over bumps. soudns like its coming from under the gauges [speedometer, tach, fuel, temp] and it sounds like the noise a plastic ruler would make if you held it over a desk and pushed down on it like a diving board. description is gay, but that's the closest i could describe it. I looked under the dash for hours upon hours until my neck cramped up and now i think i have whiplash or something.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hmmm, i'm no expert and i don't want to jump to conclusions. But i'd suggest that if your feeling vibration or whatever in your pedal that you check your engine mounts. Mine's did that and i didn't bother with it until i took my car in for a complete checkup...hope you figure out that prob man
Old 04-07-2005, 10:49 PM

Yo MaxKlinger, off the top of my head, I know I'm not getting any smoke, my oil has a clean new oil color because I just changed it (I wasn't at the shop when it was changed for me), I drive an automatic, and the coolant seems normal. As for everything else, I'll have to check and post those things when I have time, prob Saturday.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If the oil smells like gas I would not drive the car anymore. What you have is a bad injector that is overfueling your engine. The excess fuel bypasses the rings and drains into the oil pan and thins the oil's viscosity. Eventually this will lead to bearing failure and bye bye engine.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:39 PM

maybe you have bad coils?