4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cefiro + Cai =?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cefiro + Cai =?

Anybody with Cefiros also have a cai in their cars? I just ordered a set of Cefiro headlights and I wanted to get a cai but I wanted to know if the gap that the headlights leave will increase the chances of sucking up water and hydro-locking? I know you have to fill the gaps with weather stripping or something like that but will water still be able to get in through the gaps? Thanks in advance for all your help and replies.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:40 AM

wtf? this makes no sense..
Old 04-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Hooooooonda.....

A cold air intake goes behind the bumper or inside the fender lining. Am I missing something here? Why would the headlight have anything to do with it? Why not just use weatherstripping for the gap?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
A cold air intake goes behind the bumper or inside the fender lining. Am I missing something here? Why would the headlight have anything to do with it? Why not just use weatherstripping for the gap?
If you drive through 3 foot deep water, the water could leak in the gap between the lights and the fender.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm needing a caw

Rolling' 3 DEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by mzmtg
If you drive through 3 foot deep water, the water could leak in the gap between the lights and the fender.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:45 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

just to answer the dude's question ...

i have CAI and have no issues with the gap in the fender ... plus, you're supposed to either bondo or cover the gap with weather stripping, so no water should get in there in the first place ..
Old 04-21-2005, 11:45 AM

with Nadir's comment. Use good common sense when driving with a CAI in the rain! That's your ultimate protection from hydro-locking your engine.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Tha Snatcher

u have nothing to worry about.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:59 AM

What kinda car is that??? The MPG is unreal though. Hope its as quick as your max.

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar
u have nothing to worry about.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by DR-Max
What kinda car is that??? The MPG is unreal though. Hope its as quick as your max.
Toyota Prius

Yeah, it'll outrun a Maxima any day.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:08 PM

if ur that worried get a AEM bypass valve and dont drive through 3 feet of water and ur ok
Old 04-21-2005, 12:38 PM
brotherhood of tq

i have a cai and cefiros and i wouldnt see an issue rising up.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Offset Is Everything.

Originally Posted by Lawtown
Anybody with Cefiros also have a cai in their cars? I just ordered a set of Cefiro headlights and I wanted to get a cai but I wanted to know if the gap that the headlights leave will increase the chances of sucking up water and hydro-locking? I know you have to fill the gaps with weather stripping or something like that but will water still be able to get in through the gaps? Thanks in advance for all your help and replies.
youll have no troubles at all unless like everyone else said, you drive through a lake. dont worry about it.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i have driven in some bad raining and light flooding, of course im not talking about driving through a river, but with the injen intake i never had any problems, the splash guards do their job. now i wouldnt ask for trouble and try to test things, but under normal raining conditions i dont see a problem. and like everyone says, dont drive through a lake , but if you do, stop reinstall the intake up instead of down for a snorkle like effect, lol ! hood might not close ,lol !

no worries !
Old 04-21-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by the chariot
i have driven in some bad raining and light flooding, of course im not talking about driving through a river, but with the injen intake i never had any problems, the splash guards do their job. now i wouldnt ask for trouble and try to test things, but under normal raining conditions i dont see a problem. and like everyone says, dont drive through a lake , but if you do, stop reinstall the intake up instead of down for a snorkle like effect, lol ! hood might not close ,lol !

no worries !
Good idea on the snorkel - now 4th gen's can use their 4x4 for what was intended!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 02:14 PM

Yeah it has 295lb-ft of torque compared to the maximas 205lb-ft!! Plus it weighs less. That thing outruns Porches too.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

295? cat that joint is like 72 horses and 89 lbs. from his sig.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
295? cat that joint is like 72 horses and 89 lbs. from his sig.
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/prius/specs.html

295lb-ft from the electric motor
Old 04-21-2005, 02:35 PM

HAHA...I got the joke already since MZMTG's post. What I didn't know was that the 76/82 (HP/TQ) below the sig pic is factual. Thought it was a joke.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:10 PM

I don't know whether you guys are jokin or not, but I drive through flooded water all the time, sometimes 3+ feet depending on how hard/much it rains. Newark/Jersey City are the WORST for flooding. Especially under the Pulaski droppin down on 1&9, 15E, Doremus, Raymond, Tonelle near Broadway and that's only just a few to name.

So, my question is...is this really a concern if you have a CAI? I don't see what headlights would have to do with the issue tho. Luckily I'm not dropped yet, but I don't know what will happen when I'm slammed I prolly won't be able to make it through the floods cuz when I say deep, I mean what I say 100%.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:13 PM

If you have a CAI and you are doing that, consider yourself lucky. But as anything, luck does run out. You'll know when it does.

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
I don't know whether you guys are jokin or not, but I drive through flooded water all the time, sometimes 3+ feet depending on how hard/much it rains. Newark/Jersey City are the WORST for flooding. Especially under the Pulaski droppin down on 1&9, 15E, Doremus, Raymond, Tonelle near Broadway and that's only just a few to name.

So, my question is...is this really a concern if you have a CAI? I don't see what headlights would have to do with the issue tho. Luckily I'm not dropped yet, but I don't know what will happen when I'm slammed I prolly won't be able to make it through the floods cuz when I say deep, I mean what I say 100%.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:26 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by Max Mutes

you're better off with HAI both in your situation and if you're auto
Old 04-22-2005, 07:50 AM

I just needed some reasurance before i purchased a cai. thank you for answering my ?'s and for those of you trying to flame me F.u. Biiaatches!!!! and have a nice day!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Hooooooonda.....

No, F.U. sir.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

Why is that?? Auto needs more low end torque. HAI will hurt the low end if it's hot?

Originally Posted by nadir_s
you're better off with HAI both in your situation and if you're auto
Old 04-22-2005, 09:43 AM

Ok my question is this. If for some reason water could get to the intake, what makes you think that stock headlight has a water tight seal to stop anything from getting in there?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lawtown
Run a snorkel from your CAI through a 3" holed drilled through your fender, out and up along the windshield to your roof! PROBLEM SOLVED...... you're probably good for a least 4 feet if you're not dropped! OH!............................................ and your welcome!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Offset Is Everything.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Why is that?? Auto needs more low end torque. HAI will hurt the low end if it's hot?
my auto lags with hai in the low rpms. but kicks after 3k. sucks.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:46 AM

I like the snorkel Idea. maybe run the exhaust up the trunk and on to the roof to. "lol" and yes my car is dropped.
The only reason why i want the cai is i'm trying to get more low-end power for my "auto-magic" but i don't want to start a whole battle of the intake war. I have the stillen short ram but you definitly feel the loss of power at low rpms. so i put back the stock box. I was planning on running the cai but fitting it some how with the stock resonator. And about my ? on cai+cefiro, i wasn't sure if while cruising on the highway during a rainy day water would some how run through the "cefiro-gap" and into the fender. I don't treat my car like a canoe and take it through lakes. "lol" I didn't mean to get nasty remarks or give them back. But i'm hey that's life for you.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:50 AM

You guys are hilarious. But on a serious note, there is no such thing as an intake setup that will give you the best of both worlds. I avoid CAI like a plague, I don't like to worry about whether water will get sucked in whenever I drive in the rain. So.Cal have been getting hit by major rains and floods. I live in the San Fernando Valley area and we get serious flooding around here. Why bother with the gains from the CAI when the risk outweighs the benefit of it? Just my .02 cent.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm needing a caw

People have hydraulocked their engines with stock intakes too. I have only heard about 1-3 people ruining their engines this way. And there are ALOT of cai uses here. If I was in Cali, I'd run a cai definately. My cai runs alot more consistent during the hot months in Seattle(if you can even call seattle weather hot).

for the cattman style cai, I'd do the following. Undo the fender liner and run a small bead of silicone to seal the part where it meets the fender. For the parts that are under the car, I'd take off the splash shields and put a thin type of weather stripe type material so you can take it on/off without ruining the seal. Or maybe try to fab a bottom cover that's longer to isolate the filter a bit more. Should be plenty of protection.

I run my custom cai down behind the d-side headlight. The filter is level and right behind the bumber brace. So it's VERY high off the ground, takes in air from a very cool place and it's a pretty clean area to draw air from.

You guys are hilarious. But on a serious note, there is no such thing as an intake setup that will give you the best of both worlds. I avoid CAI like a plague, I don't like to worry about whether water will get sucked in whenever I drive in the rain. So.Cal have been getting hit by major rains and floods. I live in the San Fernando Valley area and we get serious flooding around here. Why bother with the gains from the CAI when the risk outweighs the benefit of it? Just my .02 cent.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

Best pic I have to show:

Old 04-22-2005, 11:16 AM

id keep the stock box. i had a cai and got lag like a mother bish
Old 04-22-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm needing a caw

Not me............

Originally Posted by maximaintheface
id keep the stock box. i had a cai and got lag like a mother bish
Old 04-22-2005, 12:01 PM

What did they do, drive thru a river???

Here's another thing, I'm not a track or a street racer. So a lot of these things aren't critical for me. I do like enhanced performance but i'm not into spending so much money just to get a few ponies more. I'll be honest however, I am thinking about boosting by fall. I've never driven a boosted car, we'll I've driven a boosted truck and it was hella fun let alone a boosted max.

Just saw the pic, you drive with only 1 headlight? It's a pretty good setup though. Did you get those pipes from a muffler shop and had them bend it? Your giving me all kinds of ideas now.

People have hydraulocked their engines with stock intakes too. I have only heard about 1-3 people ruining their engines this way. And there are ALOT of cai uses here. If I was in Cali, I'd run a cai definately.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

What did they do, drive thru a river???
Just a very high puddle or when you drive though water, it splashes up etc.

Here's another thing, I'm not a track or a street racer. So a lot of these things aren't critical for me. I do like enhanced performance but i'm not into spending so much money just to get a few ponies more. I'll be honest however, I am thinking about boosting by fall. I've never driven a boosted car, we'll I've driven a boosted truck and it was hella fun let alone a boosted max.
Use of "hella" just kills you man. I mean look how cheap some of the CAIs on ebay or bomz are. Pretty cheap hp for the $. But I'd highly recommend buying a K&N filter to replace whatever cheap arsed filter that comes with those cheap kits (unless it specificly comes with a K&N)

Just saw the pic, you drive with only 1 headlight? It's a pretty good setup though. Did you get those pipes from a muffler shop and had them bend it? Your giving me all kinds of ideas now.
buy mandrel bends, couplers, hose clamps. Cut, weld and profit.

You aren't SERIOUS about the 1 headlight thing are you??
Old 04-22-2005, 12:48 PM

Couldn't find a better word than hella at the time. As for the headlight, it was a joke in a way but I can see that for track purposes.

Just a very high puddle or when you drive though water, it splashes up etc.

Use of "hella" just kills you man. I mean look how cheap some of the CAIs on ebay or bomz are. Pretty cheap hp for the $. But I'd highly recommend buying a K&N filter to replace whatever cheap arsed filter that comes with those cheap kits (unless it specificly comes with a K&N)

buy mandrel bends, couplers, hose clamps. Cut, weld and profit.

You aren't SERIOUS about the 1 headlight thing are you??