4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

airbag light flashing - need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 11:54 AM

Before removing my center dash components, I followed the strict advice of my Haynes manual, stating that I need to disconnect the airbag connectors 10 mins after disconnecting the battery. Done. For both driver and passenger airbags.

However, after reassembing the dash (minus the stereo--new one is on order) and reconnecting everything, my airbag light flashes on/off constantly. I can't find anything in the Haynes manual that shows how to troubleshoot this. It simply says "go to the dealer".

I find it hard to believe my system has failed. Everything was fine before disassembly, and I followed the instructions to the letter. The only thing I did differently, was to reconnect the battery without the airbag connectors attached so I could test my stereo (after a few fix attempts). But when I reassembled everything, the battery was disconnected for a long period of time to make sure the airbag capacitors were completely discharged.

Is there something subtle I'm missing here? Please advise if you have experience with this. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2001, 12:12 PM

Thanks, Daniel Martin!

Well, I conducted another search and found this:
Airbag help link

Worked like a charm, Daniel. Thanks!

By the way, is this always the case after disconnecting the airbag? If not, I wonder what could have triggered it...
Old 05-12-2001, 01:33 PM

You are welcome

Originally posted by Gary95
Well, I conducted another search and found this:
Airbag help link

Worked like a charm, Daniel. Thanks! ...
I was about to answer your question when I discovered that I had been beat out... by myself! This site's Search Engine has some shortcomings but it does work and I'm glad you used it.

... By the way, is this always the case after disconnecting the airbag? If not, I wonder what could have triggered it...
I don't know if this is always the case, but it seems common enough...
Old 05-12-2001, 09:39 PM

Re: You are welcome

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
I was about to answer your question when I discovered that I had been beat out... by myself! This site's Search Engine has some shortcomings but it does work and I'm glad you used it.
Yes, I find the search engine has odd shortcomings... in some cases with one word for criteria, it turns up nothing. I also think it does whole word searching, with no partials (e.g. "air bag" turned up nothing). But I'm certainly glad it works for a majority of criteria.

Hey, do you think the FAQ on this website will get updated sometime soon? Seems like there's loads of useful tips floating around the posts but not captured in the FAQ. Like this hint on the airbag reset.