4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bunch of questions, new maxima owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 02:20 AM

bunch of questions, new maxima owner

hi all!

as the title says i just got my maxima as my first car
63k miles on her, and in absolutely fantastic shape.

so, i have a ton of questions, the car is kinda my baby right now and i want it to last and be good to me.

as a note: im a car noob. i have zero skills with working on a car. i cant not change my own oil. so keep that im mind when answering.

im gunna number my questions, and if you guys could number your answers that would make matching question and answer easier. i thank you all in advance

1. anything i should know about this car that i might not?

2. my spedometer seems to be off. if it says im going about 81 or 82, and i run by one of those roas side speed signs that tells your speed in big numbers, it will say im doing 77 or 78.... idunno what the deal is with that... could it be off?

3. after i drive somewhere and park ill notice fluid on the ground comming from what looks like just to the right of where the radio is, but on the ground obviously. i cant see any color to it, so im assuming its from the A/C. should i get it checked out?

4. reading around a little i saw the maxima is known for a yaw movement. i notice a bit of understeer.. well kind of a lot actually. if i go into a corner fast i feel like the car is very heavy and pulls. it just feels loose. (im comparing this to my moms A6 quattro on 17" low profiles... so that might be the differance) would adding a rear sway bar help?(i read alittle about some mods) ideas? is it all in my head?

5. what are the easiest and cheapest mods i can do that will help looks/performance? if it resembles rice, it wont touch my car.

6. what kind of oil should i use? synthetic? the 15k mile stuff?

7. i want to swap headlights. i saw what i think was a 2005 maxima tonight.. behind me, it had some freakin awesome headlights. VERY bright, and a slight blue/purple tint. im assuming they were xenon HID lights.. i want that, on my car. whats the best kit or something along those lines? (as always money is a concern)

7.5 i also wanna make and add angel eyes as shown here in addition to the better lights. i checked out the lights today and they arent clear so i would need a new lense or cover wouldnt i?

8. why do the 95 cupholders suck SOOO bad?!!!!! i spilled soda all over my center console lid thing and some went into my heated seat buttons cuz the bottle fell over! grrr

9. ill think of more questions later. for now im tired and headed to bed. this space reserved for more questions!

thanks everyone! i know i got alotta questions.

lemme know if i can edit the post to make it easier to read
Old 05-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Maintenance Monster

2. Normal for any car
3. I have the same thing - I believe mine is only condensation
4. You're comparing an AWD to a FWD? Yeah, of course it will have heavy understeer.
5. Y-pipe and muffler
6. I use regular Mobil 1 and change every 5k with filter. I dunno why that 15k stuff is supposedly any better. I don't think it is.
7. Angel eyes? Rice. Seriously, rice.
8. My 97 cupholders aren't made for anything with a bigger bottom - even 20oz bottles don't fit. So use the caps on the bottles.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
2. Normal for any car
3. I have the same thing - I believe mine is only condensation
4. You're comparing an AWD to a FWD? Yeah, of course it will have heavy understeer.
5. Y-pipe and muffler
6. I use regular Mobil 1 and change every 5k with filter. I dunno why that 15k stuff is supposedly any better. I don't think it is.
7. Angel eyes? Rice. Seriously, rice.
8. My 97 cupholders aren't made for anything with a bigger bottom - even 20oz bottles don't fit. So use the caps on the bottles.
it was a glass bottle =-\

i like the angel eyes! they arent rice like adding a 4 foot wing is! *humph*

i like the way they look and it looks like a fun project.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Maintenance Monster

Going by the definition of rice being anything that serves no purpose and imitates something useful - yes it's totally rice.

But w/e, its your car. I think you'd be better off learning to change your oil rather than making those things.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Going by the definition of rice being anything that serves no purpose and imitates something useful - yes it's totally rice.

But w/e, its your car. I think you'd be better off learning to change your oil rather than making those things.
true... lol

i do computer mods and stuff so its more my realm. besides the angel eyes for a fun project(at least then i could say i actually did something on the car) i want the better headlights. thats totally unrelated to the eyes, i just like good lights.

the A6 had horrible low beams, and the max's arent the best ever either...
Old 05-07-2005, 05:39 AM
Has his VINs memorized

I think you should concentrate on Projector beam lights instead of the angel eyes my .02 But there will ALWAYS be at least one person who thinks whatever you do on your car is rice or stupid. The best thing you can do for your car is what you want to do.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:45 AM
Has his VINs memorized

2. That is probably the machine not your car. RADAR is rather inaccurate, especially with multiple vehicles around.
3. Just condensation from your ac piping in the engine bay, be concerned if it's INSIDE your car.
4. A FSTB will help(or will make you think it helped) Lowering is the best bet w/new tires
5. Intake, Ypipe, Rearswaybar, clear corners, FSTB
6. Mobile 1 Synthetic 10W-30 for warmer climates or 5W-30 for colder climates
Old 05-07-2005, 09:01 AM

i never considered angel eyes rice..Dont bmw's have angel eyes? Or some kind of ring around the headlights?
Old 05-07-2005, 09:30 AM

The first thing you should do is go out and spend $15 or $20 and buy a Haynes manual which will, in conjunction with the stickies, help answer many of your maintenance-related questions.

Congratulations, you have bought one of the lowest 4th Gen Maximas I've noticed in the one year I've been on the .org. My 95SE 5-speed has only 58K on it, but thats as close as you'll get to it as its not a daily driver.

The cupholders became larger starting with the 96 models.

The stock suspension of an SE would have been firmer than the GLE you bought. It has a softer suspension.

If you don't switch to synthetic oil (I haven't yet as I'm a low-mileage user considering the switch), use Castrol GTX 5W30 and stick with the Nissan OEM filter.

You probably haven't had the 60K service and should get that done. Pay attention to fluids. Not only should the oil be changed but also the following may require changing: power steering fluid, radiator coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid - either drain and fill or flush.

You also may require a new air filter and fuel filter. Get your plugs checked and if you change them stick with NGK. I am a firm believer that the OEM platinum plugs are good for more than the advertised 60K.

You don't have to go to a Nissan dealership for service. Find someone reliable who specializes in Japanese cars and has experience with the 4th Gen Maximas.

Good luck and don't give up your day job! j/k Initially you may have to put some money into your car, but don't be discouraged. You've bought a low miler that will last many years, particularly if you don't indiscrimanately rack up the miles like many of the people on the .org seem to do.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ti2tmax
2. That is probably the machine not your car. RADAR is rather inaccurate, especially with multiple vehicles around.
my girlfriends car is spot on with the radar, as was her rental car when hers was in the shop. and ive found myself getting passed on the right while in the fast lane cruise controlled at about 74mph on my spedo. heck ive been flashed and passed passed when my spedo says 80... hence my concern.

Originally Posted by ti2tmax
4. A FSTB will help(or will make you think it helped) Lowering is the best bet w/new tires
FSTB = ?? front ____ tower brace?(i remember the name but i have NO idea what it is lol)
im not against lowering but last i checked it costs a ton of money
what tires/rims are suggested. tires for stock rims and for aftermarket. the A6 i mentioned uses 245/45ZR17 dunlop SP9000. good but over $200 each

Originally Posted by chillin014
i never considered angel eyes rice..Dont bmw's have angel eyes? Or some kind of ring around the headlights?
that was kinda my thinking. BMW have the real angel eyes. the link i posted is a knockoff of the BWM one, but is DIY.

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
The first thing you should do is go out and spend $15 or $20 and buy a Haynes manual which will, in conjunction with the stickies, help answer many of your maintenance-related questions.
sounds like a decent idea. but will that help me seeing as i have zero skills with car mantainance?

The stock suspension of an SE would have been firmer than the GLE you bought. It has a softer suspension.
if i knew ANYTHING about maximas before i got the car i might have looked for an SE.

Congratulations, you have bought one of the lowest 4th Gen Maximas I've noticed in the one year I've been on the .org. My 95SE 5-speed has only 58K on it, but thats as close as you'll get to it as its not a daily driver.
thanks!
You probably haven't had the 60K service and should get that done. Pay attention to fluids. Not only should the oil be changed but also the following may require changing: power steering fluid, radiator coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid - either drain and fill or flush.
i got it from a very reputable dealer. its a volvo place that specializes in exotics. my car was parked a few cars from a porche GT race car, 3 '05 911's and 2 lotus's. several other things like a 745Li and such too. oh and the ferarri... yeah...(i jumped in the ferarri.. all i can say is omg...)

soooooo, seeing as the place knows their stuff i think they checked all the fluids and such or changed them. the previus owner was REAALLLLYYYY **** about taking car of the car. everything was imaculate inside and she likely changed the oil every 3000k miles +/- 10. anyway... should i just have it checked out at 65k miles for oil and full fliud checkup?
Old 05-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here is a good link about the differnt mods that can be done with aprox cost...

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php

About the steering...I just installed a FSTB (front strut bar). It cost about $50.00 and it really tightened up the front end. You will read some who say it doesn't do anything, but on Colorado roads anyway, it really helps!!
Old 05-07-2005, 11:51 AM

What I'm trying to say is that there is a major service done at 60K. Regardless of how **** the previous owner was, I highly doubt she spent all that money at 60K and then flogged the car at 62K. You would have been told the 60K service had been done as a selling feature. So I'm willing to bet it hasn't been done.

You should have asked if the maintenance history for the car is available. It may not yet be too late to obtain it and is desirable information to have as it provides a track record of what has been done to the car and when. This of course leads you to what yet needs to be done.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:56 PM

What I'm trying to say is that there is a major service done at 60K. Regardless of how **** the previous owner was, I highly doubt she spent all that money at 60K and then flogged the car at 62K. You would have been told the 60K service had been done as a selling feature. So I'm willing to bet it hasn't been done.

You should have asked if the maintenance history for the car is available. It may not yet be too late to obtain it and is desirable information to have as it provides a track record of what has been done to the car and when. This of course leads you to what yet needs to be done.
it is availible i think. they also have all the paperwork of what they did to the car. im gunna pick that up soon..

i see what you mean she wouldnt spend all that money just to dump the car like that. good call
Old 05-07-2005, 05:08 PM

Yeah, get that paperwork. Without it, its like going on a long trip to somewhere you've never been without the benefit of a roadmap.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:25 PM

well congrats on getting a 95. I have one too haha...with low miles as well, maybe 72k. great car.... anyway...the guys have answered the questions very well, take care of it properly and it'll last forever.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:42 PM
il massimi bassi

hmmmm if your mileage is that low and your convinced your speedometer is off by 5MPH could it be someone swappped the cluster? you know how they do out there in CA!
Old 05-08-2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by 96ItaliaSE
hmmmm if your mileage is that low and your convinced your speedometer is off by 5MPH could it be someone swappped the cluster? you know how they do out there in CA!
that is definatly a unique idea. ive never thought of that. i highly doubt it but who knows! haha

it was owned by an old lady who didnt drive it much so its probly the correct mileage.

so now im thinkin... y-pipe, intake, and a FSTB, that should give me... 205hp? and somewhat better handling.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:22 AM
il massimi bassi

lol im sure its fine! good luck with maxima i think a more realistic number is 190 hp at the front wheels....most people are dynoing in the 160's bone stock at the wheels. Add a new knocksensor to your list its 89$ from jerry rome nissan it will ensure you dont get heat soak and that your call pulls properly through each gear even with the low mileage its most likely toast after 10 years.