4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Dealing with the elements

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 12:36 PM

Dealing with the elements

How do you die-hard MAXIMA owners coup with the Winter months?
And when you get a Mod, such as bodykit, fenders, taillights hoods or rims, what do you do with the old parts? Do you sell them or do you stuff them under your pillows for the Mod Fairy (LOL)?

-Dexter
Old 05-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dexter
How do you die-hard MAXIMA owners coup with the Winter months?
And when you get a Mod, such as bodykit, fenders, taillights hoods or rims, what do you do with the old parts? Do you sell them or do you stuff them under your pillows for the Mod Fairy (LOL)?

-Dexter
buy one of these...find one with 56000 miles like I did

all your old parts post up here...what you dont sell find a place to store it...there is ebay too

-matt
Old 05-29-2005, 12:34 AM

Just got my Maxima, have yet to drive it during the winter months. I know I have no chioce come this winter time tho.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:55 AM

I got my Max at the end of this January so I haven't seen much horrible weather. But at the moment a beater wouldn't do it for me - no room to park it, can't afford an additional car, b/c of school and work I need something reliable ESPECIALLY in the winter since I do 100+ miles a day.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:57 AM

...and as far as the parts I've replaced so far, I just pack them up in the packaging my new parts came in and store in the garage (may need them as a replacement down the road).
Old 05-29-2005, 09:23 AM

I bought my car brand new and had it Diamond coated, rustproofed and leather protected for a cost of about Cdn$425,before taking delivery. The car is professionally detailed annually and has seldom seen ice and snow. There was no rust on the undercarriage when I had the Budget y-pipe installed last June.

I stored my near new OEM air filter away in the box that the K&N filter came in and I stored the OEM y-pipe away in the box the Budget y-pipe came in. Both are in my attic.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:00 AM
drivinmax

i was wondering why you up north guys change your rims during winter?

Old 05-29-2005, 11:21 AM

I don't because I live at the Coast at sea level and my car doesn't see ice and snow. In the prairies (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba) and central Canada (Ontario, Quebec), the winters can get pretty brutal at times with ice, snow, sand and salt on the roads. I imagine this can take a toll on a good set of rims and if a car isn't diligently washed and the undercarriage cleaned frequently, rust becomes a factor. The same would apply to much of the mid West and eastern seaboard regions of the US.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by drivinmax
i was wondering why you up north guys change your rims during winter?
we change rims for a few reasons:

1. our winter tires are rolling on factory rims or steelies. this set up makes it a lot easier to change.

2. prevents the elements and poor road conditions from damaging our expensive aftermarket rims.

3. 15" winter tires are whole lot cheaper than 17" or 18" winter tires!

umm..that's all i can think of for now.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:53 AM

shoot, i took my 18"s off of the car when some azzhole decided to back into me in a parking lot and take off

it just didn't feel right having some nice rims on when half the paint on your bumper is scraped off

for extra parts......the ones you'll want to put back on the car eventually store them in the garage.....for the ones you want to get rid of, find another .org member and you both will benefit
Old 05-29-2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by quy95maxi
we change rims for a few reasons:

1. our winter tires are rolling on factory rims or steelies. this set up makes it a lot easier to change.

2. prevents the elements and poor road conditions from damaging our expensive aftermarket rims.

3. 15" winter tires are whole lot cheaper than 17" or 18" winter tires!

umm..that's all i can think of for now.
4. I dont clean my car all that much during the winter months and having my aftermarket rims on would suffer from ALOT of brake dust causing a pitting on the rims..NO good
Old 05-29-2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by matty
4. I dont clean my car all that much during the winter months and having my aftermarket rims on would suffer from ALOT of brake dust causing a pitting on the rims..NO good
I clean it more so in the winter time, just cuz of the all the dirt, sand, and salt build up on the car.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:57 AM

Given that you live in NJ, you should start taking better care of your car in the winter if you intend to keep it for some time. Rust may become a future concern otherwise.

Originally Posted by matty
Old 05-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Maxima, is just a regular car, Don't go crazy about the element. Its not like you driving a ferrari.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:05 PM

What I was getting at was pride of ownership. If the Maxima is the only/best car you have, you should take good care of it, IMHO.

Originally Posted by CystumMax
Maxima, is just a regular car, Don't go crazy about the element. Its not like you driving a ferrari.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
What I was getting at was pride of ownership. If the Maxima is the only/best car you have, you should take good care of it, IMHO.

And for your information, I was not talking to you.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:17 PM

I know that! And don't go with the loser icon to me.

Originally Posted by CystumMax
And for your information, I was not talking to you.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
Given that you live in NJ, you should start taking better care of your car in the winter if you intend to keep it for some time. Rust may become a future concern otherwise.
I was jsut saying I wash it let, and show it off less in the winter than in the summer...having show rims on in the winter, to me, is pointless...you do what you wanna do

I take better care of my car then you can believe...take a look at my website and youll see....you have NO idea so dont start passing judgment without even knowing anything

-matt
Old 05-29-2005, 12:34 PM

imo, the better you take care of yer care, the better the resale value. plain and simple.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:35 PM

I didn't realize until I scrolled back that you have a truck as well and probably drive that a lot in the winter.

I wasn't passing judgment. I was merely responding to what you stated and my comment was made in good faith. There is no need for you to take exception to what I said as I wasn't intending any harm.

QUOTE=matty]I was jsut saying I wash it let, and show it off less in the winter than in the summer...having show rims on in the winter, to me, is pointless...you do what you wanna do

I take better care of my car then you can believe...take a look at my website and youll see....you have NO idea so dont start passing judgment without even knowing anything

-matt[/QUOTE]
Old 05-29-2005, 12:49 PM

Umm, speaking of not washing your Maxima much in the winter...

I know winter driving!!! Obviously my Maxima is my year round car. If I can make it though the winter driving one, trust me, anybody can! I live up in the hills, out in the country, in the middle of a snowbelt so I've driven her in many different conditions. I got rust proofing which needs to be resprayed annually, really good rubber floormats that have foam in the middle to soak up water/slush, and Nokian winter tires. I will tell anybody that they are probably the best studless winter tire available! I don't have separate rims, I just use the stock 16 inchers. Absolutely amazing when it comes to traction. Much better than the Blizzaks we had on the old Maxima. What helps me more is the fact that I have traction control, ABS, and LSD. I only got stuck once this winter cause the snowplow plowed a huge snowbank at the beginning of our driveway, and I tried to plow though it (oops). I think I'll get a block heater this upcoming winter, but it started every time last winter even in -40 degree temperature. I think my Maxima is a great winter vehicle. I just need to wash her a little more often in those months...
Old 05-29-2005, 06:30 PM

It seems that here in Jersey, around the winter time you tend to hear more "I bent my rim" stories. Everyone I know here that has nice rims goes back to steelies during the winter months. The car may not look so hot but in case you slide on ice into a railroad track and bend an 18" rim (MY story) you'll be glad you have some hubcaps on...
Old 05-31-2005, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by aapp81
It seems that here in Jersey, around the winter time you tend to hear more "I bent my rim" stories. Everyone I know here that has nice rims goes back to steelies during the winter months. The car may not look so hot but in case you slide on ice into a railroad track and bend an 18" rim (MY story) you'll be glad you have some hubcaps on...
plus, the weight of the steelies offers more grip/traction than aftermarket rims (which tend to be lighter) which is vital during the winter.

-Dexter