4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Dash light bulbs access

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:27 AM

Dash light bulbs access

I have a bulb out on the speedo panel - how the heck do you get at it? I tried to reach up behind under dash, no way. Does it come out from the front? How ????
Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Black Maxima

http://www.geocities.com/amixam69/nissan/dash/

Old 07-07-2005, 10:04 AM

Is the CEL bulb also accessable from taking that apart, or does the whole thing need to be replaced. my CEL doesn't come on when i put the key to ON before starting
Old 07-07-2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by MadaF
Is the CEL bulb also accessable from taking that apart, or does the whole thing need to be replaced. my CEL doesn't come on when i put the key to ON before starting
Yes, CEL bulb too
Old 07-07-2005, 10:49 AM

you cant buy a new cel. when you get that far though, you look at the back, there will be a cool little array of wires and such. nextg to what lookes like brown tabs, you will see wires, and next to the wires, will be acronyms and abbreviations of what it stands for. take the seatbelt light and put it in the cel slot. you dont need the seatbelt light unless your dumb enough to not put your seatbelt on. then just hook it back up, and start the car. make sure everything still works, shut it off, put your ecu in diagnosis mode, and it should work. if it doesnt just keep switching the non valuable lights around till you get one that works. but do NOT take the bulbs out of their holders. they wont work anymore after that.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:52 AM

the link he gave you is good too, i used it about three weeksago to change my cel bulb, just dont lose the screws, and make sure you put the likke pin bracket things back in.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by sdoherty_tjm
you cant buy a new cel. when you get that far though, you look at the back, there will be a cool little array of wires and such. nextg to what lookes like brown tabs, you will see wires, and next to the wires, will be acronyms and abbreviations of what it stands for. take the seatbelt light and put it in the cel slot. you dont need the seatbelt light unless your dumb enough to not put your seatbelt on. then just hook it back up, and start the car. make sure everything still works, shut it off, put your ecu in diagnosis mode, and it should work. if it doesnt just keep switching the non valuable lights around till you get one that works. but do NOT take the bulbs out of their holders. they wont work anymore after that.
how can you put the seatbelt light in the CEL spot without taking the bulbs out? wouldn't you need to change the wires that go from the CEL to bulb in the seatbelt light? it just doesn't sound like it makes sense to put the seatbelt light into the CEL spot, cus the wires that would trigger the CEL wouln't be hooked up into anything? or am i just being ignorant and not understanding correctly....
Old 07-07-2005, 11:25 AM

and do you suggest doing that just to diagnose the problem to make sure its a bad bulb, or would you just do this to permantely change it so the CEL works and the seatbelt doesn't?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:26 AM

no. when you take the lights out, i mean turn the brown ***** and pull them out. but do not pull the bulb out of the brown **** thing. and i wouldnt touch the blub itself either.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:40 AM

ok thanks. i was having trouble understanding what your talking about cus i'm at work = / but i get what you mean now. thanks alot man.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:20 PM

no. when you take the lights out, i mean turn the brown ***** and pull them out. but do not pull the bulb out of the brown **** thing. and i wouldnt touch the blub itself either.
Why not touch the bulb ? I changed all my dash gauge bulbs to blue and had to remove the bulbs to exchange LED's no probs, it's a simple bulb not a halogen!
Old 07-08-2005, 11:00 AM

quick question, i took my dash apart and everything and got to the back, now i found a spot for C. Eng, which i'm assuming is the check engine light, i put the seatbelt bulb in there, and the service engine soon light now works (it was actually taken out, so i'm interested to see if this light stays on once i turn the car on.....) but is there an actual CEL, or is service engine soon the CEL - the same one that will flash out the codes stored in the ECU?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:26 AM

We don't have a SES light , we only and the CEL light ( check engine light), you've put the bulb in the correct spot, if the CEL remains light once you start the car you need to pull the codes and then do a reset to clear the light. See stickies for ECU codes.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:30 AM

the cel light is the one shaped like an engine block. if you are looking at the back of your cluster, its teh one on the far left. when i took mine out, i had a holder no bulb. ive never had it come on, and i didnt take all the bulbs out so i dont know. but hey i hope you can figure out a way to get them all working. i dont have a hand brake and a seatbelt light anymore. cus i had to put all those "important" lights in working order.
when i got mine fixed i luckily got three codes, thermostat sensor, rear o2 sensor, and of course the knock sensor. my buddy was there for it, he had/has all those too, kind of weird.

maxrb8, i say that because i changed my seatbelt light, i took the bulb out and put it in the cel holder, and it didnt work, but did in the cruise control holder. it was weird.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:50 PM

the cel light is the one shaped like an engine block. if you are looking at the back of your cluster, its teh one on the far left. when i took mine out, i had a holder no bulb. ive never had it come on, and i didnt take all the bulbs out so i dont know. but hey i hope you can figure out a way to get them all working. i dont have a hand brake and a seatbelt light anymore. cus i had to put all those "important" lights in working order.
when i got mine fixed i luckily got three codes, thermostat sensor, rear o2 sensor, and of course the knock sensor. my buddy was there for it, he had/has all those too, kind of weird.

maxrb8, i say that because i changed my seatbelt light, i took the bulb out and put it in the cel holder, and it didnt work, but did in the cruise control holder. it was weird.
That is weird wonder if they'd polarized? Nah