4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

B-pipe clacking

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 11:01 PM

B-pipe clacking

I've had WSP B-pipe fix; ever since then the pipe clacks like crazy over bumps, and ESPECIALLY around corners. My mechanic tried to fix it twice, only mildly improved.

Any tips on how to fix this?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have a stillin cat back and my bpipe bumps around when people sit in the back seat.

this could have happend because it was lowered? but im trying to find a fix.

someone said instead of using the rubber braces to hold the mufler system up... to just weld the metal and that way less things will move around.

any other suggestions? its annoying when people sit back their, other than that there is no noise... just the weight in the back makes it hit something (like the axle or something.. dunno for sure).
Old 07-18-2005, 11:44 PM

i do have this problem as well...=((((((((((((( the welding sounds like a good idea....but how well would the weld hold?... i've tried using different rubber mounts...but that doesn't work as well (rubber mounts from courtesy nissan brand=nismo) still nothing has worked.... but i 2 am in the process of trying to find a way to help solve this problem....
Old 07-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When I had this problem, I had Stillen B-pipe and Stillen muffler. The Stillen muffler is pretty heavy, which might be the cause of the problem. The clacking was actually coming from where the pipe bends to go over the rear axle. On my car atleast, it was banging into the body right above the axle. I let it slide for about a year, and when I finally went under to see what was up, I noticed that at the spot it was banging, a hole was forming through the bottom of the car. Luckily, it hadn't made it all the way through to the inside. The way I fixed it was I made a harness with some dei exhaust wrap by wrapping the exhaust where it was banging, and then wrapping it around both the exhaust and one of the supports for the gas tank, then used a bunch of metal zip ties to hold it all together. Now it pulls on the gas tank support whenever it would be clacking, but I made it pretty tight, and the sound is completely gone. It has been this way for about 2 years now, and everytime I check it, everything still looks good. I know this isn't a great fix, but it worked very well.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Black Maxima

There's a little crossmember piece right after the resonator it might be hitting.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by tyrotrader
I've had WSP B-pipe fix; ever since then the pipe clacks like crazy over bumps, and ESPECIALLY around corners. My mechanic tried to fix it twice, only mildly improved.

Any tips on how to fix this?

HAHAHA I think you and I are in the same boat here. I've had a WSP B pipe for a year and it hits part of the rear axle on almost every bump. I've had it to two different shops and I've also worked on it myself, to no avail. The only thing I did that helped was to fabricate an additional hangar that goes in front of the muffler; the WSP system did not utilize the hangar grommet in front of the muffler (you can see it right behind the right rear wheel) and I fabricated one by welding a 2.5" clamp from pepboys to some steel rod. It helped somewhat.

The awful thing is that my car is at stock height. There's no way I could even think about lowering the car until this problem is resolved, and I've pretty much given up on this one. If you figure out how to get the WSP B pipe to fit, please let me know. My stock springs are tired and the car is begging for new, stiff ones....
Old 07-19-2005, 01:12 PM

Hope you guys find the cause. I'm putting my WSP Y and B on this weekend and will keep an eye out for this.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:18 PM

I had the same with my WSP Y and Apexi catback. I just tied wire all around the exhaust to the bottom of the car in different places to hold it up tighter and give it less room to move around. It works fine and doesnt make any noise except when im driving in the rain then it slightly bounces around.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Paradox Systems Vendor

Originally Posted by Dman832
The way I fixed it was I made a harness with some dei exhaust wrap by wrapping the exhaust where it was banging, and then wrapping it around both the exhaust and one of the supports for the gas tank, then used a bunch of metal zip ties to hold it all together. Now it pulls on the gas tank support whenever it would be clacking, but I made it pretty tight, and the sound is completely gone. It has been this way for about 2 years now, and everytime I check it, everything still looks good. I know this isn't a great fix, but it worked very well.

sounds like a fix to me, thats something i would def do if i had this problem...
Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by PhillyDonut
Hope you guys find the cause. I'm putting my WSP Y and B on this weekend and will keep an eye out for this.
Let me know how you make out with that. If you get it to fit right, maybe we can meet sometime and you can show me how you have it set up...I'm in Philly, too...
Old 07-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Wild for Width

take a look at your heat sheild clearances.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:36 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I get that problem too with the Budget B-pipe but that is because I don't have that crossbrace member installed. The reason why I don't have it on is because the pipe touches the member and the exhaust noise gets transmitted through it into the cabin.
Has anyone else encountered this and is there a solution?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had this problem too... for a quick fix just buy a hose clamp and secure the b-pipe away from whatever it's hitting against. It takes about 5 mins and the sound is completely gone
Old 07-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Paradox Systems Vendor

Originally Posted by BlackCat
I get that problem too with the Budget B-pipe but that is because I don't have that crossbrace member installed. The reason why I don't have it on is because the pipe touches the member and the exhaust noise gets transmitted through it into the cabin.
Has anyone else encountered this and is there a solution?

couldnt u just put that piece on with some padding over it? so the b pipe is resting against the pad...my friend had this problem and i zip tied padding to
that cross piece and hasnt had clanking for 9 months now...

i dont have mine in either but im thinking of putting it in to push the piping higher up, my b pipe has the least amount of ground clearance than any other piece of my exhaust...that cross piece with some padding should push it back up...
Old 07-20-2005, 08:00 PM

Are we talking about the cross-member located just before where the b pipe makes a 90 deg turn to the passenger side of the car?

I have padded the gap between that cross member and the pipe, and clamped the b pipe on it. The rubber pad gradually melted from the heat. I ended up removing that useless cross member.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Black Maxima

Put a metal hose clamp around the rubber hanger. If you tighten it, it will prevent the rubber hanger from hanging low.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:28 AM

Everyone here is talking about using hangers and clamps to pull the exhaust pipes to where they want but, has anyone tried to loosen the bolts on the b-pipe/cat and the b-pipe/muffler connection and try to line everything up that way? I got my cattman catback setup 5 months ago and at first it was hitting the frame as it goes over the axle on every bump and it was crooked in the cutout in the bumper and hitting there too. There was 3 fixes I did to remedy the problem...

1)the hanger that holds the cat to the car (the U shaped thing that is sandwiched between the y-pipe and cat connection bolts) was broken so I replaced that.

2)all my hangers were worn out after 130,000 miles so I bought all new nismo hangers from courtesy nissan.

3)I loosened all the bolts from the cat connection back and lined everything up while the pipes and muffler were just hanging from the hangers until everything was straight.

Since then, no more knocking on the frame or the bumper.