4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

UH OH - WTF is this noise...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 07:32 PM

UH OH - WTF is this noise...?

So I am getting this noise- sounds like it is coming from my front right strut area..

Its a low, quick THUNK... Seems only happen when accelerating in 1st or 2nd gear... almost for sure when only in gear... It sometimes happens when decelerating with the gears.

Funny thing is, it got progressively worse over yesterday and today, but the last few blocks after the freeway it totally stopped! And when I was in traffic on the freeway it was the worst so far, THUNK-THUNK-THUNK with what seemed like every wheel rotation..
But then not a trace for what seemed like a long while- like a full mile and a half of streetdriving.

WTH?

Anyone want to guess at the cause? Trannie or axle? Dare I hope that the problem has gone away???????

Thanks any1 with experience like this...
Old 07-26-2005, 08:04 PM

on the axle.. check that sucker quick, would have though there would be oil leak too from tranny if axle but anyhoo
Old 07-26-2005, 08:25 PM

It could definetly be the axle or wheel bearing. If I were you I'd put the car up on jacks and take a look. After you jack it up and before you take off the wheel, try pulling on the wheel in different directions to see if there is play in the wheel bearings. There shouldn't be. Then, when you pull the wheel off (always crack the lug nuts loose with the wheels on the ground!) check to see if the CV boots are in good condition. Are the brake pads seated correctly and the caliper tightened in its bracket? Anything leaking from where the axle meets the transmission casing?

Also, is your car an auto or stick? If it's an auto, I'd suggest the following: Raise both sides of the front of the car securely up on good, solid jack stands (not just with a jack!) and with the rear wheels blocked and with the e-brake on as hard as you can. Put the car in neutral and try spinning the wheels by hand. Do you meet any interesting resistance or hear any strange noises? Then lean in the window and start the car in neutral. Wait a minute to make sure nothing is shaking or vibrating and then lean in the window again to put the car in drive. Keeping a safe distance from the moving axles and hubs, look and listen to see if you can find he problem.

My disclaimer: I've done this before on my car and a friend's Sentra to diagnose problems. It can be very dangerous so it's a good idea to have a buddy nearby to help you out and keep an eye on things. Never put yourself in front of or underneath the car, and always wear eye protection!

Good luck finding the problem!
Old 07-26-2005, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the detailed advice MaxKlinger... a question- how do I check to see if the wheel bearings have play?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:57 PM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by Spaniard
Thanks for the detailed advice MaxKlinger... a question- how do I check to see if the wheel bearings have play?
To check..
- jack up the suspected corner
- leave the wheel on
- put hands on tire at opposite sides (10 o'clock & 5 o'clock, 9/3, 1/7.. you get the idea..)
- push with one hand and pull with the other
- it should not feel like it's loose
Old 07-27-2005, 06:57 PM

Yup seems loose.
Anyone know what this costs to repair??? Worst case - dealership?
Best case??

edit: Looks like the parts are like $50 best case, and labor? Im guessing maybe 1 hour? Sound about right?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:59 PM
I Broke OT

any write-up for the DIYers on the wheel bearing replacement?
Old 07-27-2005, 09:40 PM

If you're going to do it yourself, I'd expect it to cost you an afternoon. Always leave yourself extra time (and if you can, another car to run to Sears or the Auto Parts store with ). If you're going to have someone else do it...I can't remember how much it cost me when I had it done about 5 years ago (at about 120,000 miles) but I'd expect the worst case to be $300 for parts and labor. Avoid the stealership.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 PM
SLOW

You sure that wheel is fully torqued on? I was actually on the road course and heard a progressively worsening thunking, couldnt figure it out so I called it a day. Drove home, still getting worse but would go away if I was going a constant speed, but was making noise if I accelerated/decelerated. Got home and decided to just check the wheel lugs for the hell of it... finger tight! Ruined 4 of 5 lug studs from the wheel moving around on them...