4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Hope For Subframe Connectors For 4th Gen Maximas. Who Wants A Set??

Old 08-30-2005, 07:54 PM

how soon would u be able to start if i have a car for you?

Doesn't look hard at all.

I'm ready when you're ready
Old 08-30-2005, 07:55 PM

gettin excited yet?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Kevlo for President

Sure why not
Old 08-31-2005, 05:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
gettin excited yet?
So you have a 4th Gen volunteered for fitting? Do ya want a 5th Gen as well? I could ask around... or maybe you should post a thread in the 5th Gen forums when you're ready....
Old 08-31-2005, 03:42 PM

im willing to take the drive out there, and leave my car for 2 weeks.. the problem is getting my hands on another car while its gone. im weighing my options between getting the first set, for free, custom designed to MY car, and installed by the people who designed it, VS. possibly have to rent a car for at least a week, mabye 2. its kinda hard to give up a car i use everyday for 2 weeks... especially when im closing on a home next week.

you can ask around if anyone in the pennsylvania area is willing to give up there car for 2 weeks.. lol.. but im tellin you guys now, if im gonna bring mine, mines goin first.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:46 PM

who has pics of that lower tie bar alot of people are taking about.. blemco?? is that it?? mabye i can show some pics of that to this guy too, and this way mabye they can make some kind of package deal for both items..
Old 08-31-2005, 06:04 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

it is blehmco. the thing that you have to worry about with the stage II lower tie bar is that you need clearance for both auto and 5 sp trannies.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:13 PM

i dont understand..
Old 08-31-2005, 06:34 PM

the lower tie bar is farther forward. it connects to the lca's.

it has to be made a certain way to fit both cars. thats all.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:51 PM

I am very interested in this SFC. This is probably one of the most informing posts that I have read in a long time. It is nice to get away from the rest of the CAI garbage and read something new and innovative.

So, first, I would like to thank you Stuntin'101 for taking the initiative to work with this company and to further our knowledge and create a great new product for the Maxima. Furthermore, to give your car away for up to 2 wks is definitely a sacrifice that will not go unnoticed and is a great contribution. Same with anyone else who donates their car.

Also, all of the information here is excellent. 10 minutes ago I knew nothing about SFC's, but now I want to buy one.

I will buy one of the Stage 2 X bars if it is a bolt on and will be removable to do other work underneath the vehicle. I am willing to spend up to $300, but I don't think that powder coating is necessary for this piece, especially if it is underneath the car. But some kind of rust protection is a must.

Just to clarify:

The stage 1 system is just two bars running inside the frame rails, and the stage 2 system includes the bars plus the X crossbars?

And, the bars stay in behind the engine area and don't go past the rear tires?

Post more news as you get it!!

Thanks! This makes me very excited
Old 08-31-2005, 07:20 PM

yes stage one is just the 2 frame rails.. they are the ones that make the biggest difference
Old 08-31-2005, 07:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm in. I want these ASAP.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 PM

would anybody possibly have some kinda of hook-up with a car rental place so i can get a good deal on a rental for 2 weeks?? lol
Old 08-31-2005, 09:38 PM

i thought the stage 1's had the both the rails. the ones on the frame and the ones going across at the front and rear of the car.

Stage 2's are the x brace and the one that crosses the middle of the frame.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:43 PM

i would be willing to drive down there and lend them my car for a few weeks in exchange for a free stage II kit... i just have to get my Z running again so i can rely on that for day to day driving. what kind of timeframe are you talking about here, i can make this happen in a month or so...
Old 09-01-2005, 03:05 AM
slackass

I dont mind dropping my car off for a few weeks. Let me know.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:29 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Hasn't Matt Blehm been good about producing the lower tie bars? I can see stealing business away from Warpspeed after all their shenanigans, but Matt is basically a guy in a garage with some tools trying to pay his bills, and he's made some huge contributions to the community. It'd be a shame if we went to some shop and asked them to use Matt's design and undercut his price.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Hasn't Matt Blehm been good about producing the lower tie bars? I can see stealing business away from Warpspeed after all their shenanigans, but Matt is basically a guy in a garage with some tools trying to pay his bills, and he's made some huge contributions to the community. It'd be a shame if we went to some shop and asked them to use Matt's design and undercut his price.

You guys are worthless scum if you steal his designs.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
You guys are worthless scum if you steal his designs.
i agree. but i was saying that if they made somthing similar, they would need to make it fit both. I actually plan on ordering matt's stage ii within the next couple of weeks.
Steve
Old 09-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Kevlo for President

I would prefer to buy from Matt Blehm, he has served the org community well.

As for stealing from Warpspeed, FCK THEM.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:20 PM

didnt know it was made by another org member. so scratch that idea. i thought it was another one of these asian companies. if its a fair price and a good product then theres no reason to look elsewhere.. although.... i am still a bit bitter about ordering "custom made extended travel rear strut mounts" from another member and paying $90 for two flat metal circles.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:23 PM

on another note.. i just recieved all my front end parts today so im going to try and have them installed saturday. once that it done, there is a possibility i may be able to get my hands on another car. if it turns out i can get it, my car will be in this guys shop the following weekend..
Old 09-01-2005, 03:30 PM

while we're all on the subject of having things made for the max.. anybody got any kinda of new idea's for a product that would need to be designed and fabricated?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:54 PM

while we're all on the subject of having things made for the max.. anybody got any kinda of new idea's for a product that would need to be designed and fabricated?
i am very interested in a front diffuser that would go from right under the bumper to just in front of the oil & transmisson pans. there was a long thread on here months ago where one guy had made one for his car but i don't think he has them avalable for sale (correct me if i'm wrong of course). i don't know if thats at all along the lines of what this guy you are talking to does but there it is... let us know if he would design/build us something like that!

EDIT: here's the links to that (not so) old thread and the guy's cardomain page
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=diffuser
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/516006/5
Old 09-02-2005, 12:31 AM

I would like an independent rear suspension please.

It actually isn't as bizarre as it sounds. I remember seeing one person do it by grafting on the rear suspension from another Nissan. I forget the specific details, but the mounting points are already there. You just have to fit a subframe/carrier to the current lateral link mounts. Anyway, I digress. Right now, I'd be quite happy with a set of SFCs.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by bigEL
I would like an independent rear suspension please.
hell yeah!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Maintenance Monster

IRS, 'upgraded' subframe bushings? WTF, this is like putting Air Jordans on your grandma.

Get a sports car, learn to drive it, then maybe worry about mods. Kids.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
IRS, 'upgraded' subframe bushings? WTF, this is like putting Air Jordans on your grandma.

Whether you all agree with this or not, you have to admit it's a good point.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 AM

Upgraded subframe bushings! Not a bad idea. Add them to the list.

Hey, I don't know about you, but I love my grandma. I don't want to replace her with some ex-pro ball player. But if putting Air Jordans on my grandma made her move a little more like Mike, then I'd do it.

I like my computer too. I don't want a supercomputer. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't upgrade my computer once in a while to make it perform better and/or make my life a little easier.

I like my home. I don't want a mansion in a ritzy neighborhood full of stuck-up snobs. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't remodel my home to make it the way I like it.

And hey, guess what? I like my car too. I don't want a sports car. If I did, I would have gotten one in the first place. I don't plan on racing my car, tearing up the streets with my car, or doing anything illegal/stupid in my car. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't make a few changes here/there to make it more enjoyable to drive on a daily basis. That's all I'm looking for. I don't expect any miracles. So now that we cleared that up, please kindly step aside, because some of us have subframe connectors we need made.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Chassis Freak

I have been extremely interested in SFCs for over a year and so I remain. Thanks for doing the initial legwork with this new company, Stuntin! They do sound far better than Warpspeed's little Arkansas "business".

It's a shame, I don't rely on my car at all and giving it up for 2 weeks would be nothing to me, but I'm not close to Pennsylvania.

Some points I'd like to make about the SFCs we are going to have designed:
—we want the material to be as stiff as possible, cro-moly (?) or something really stiff, not mild steel, as someone pointed out
—two stages are necessary. Stage 1 has to be weld on as the president of this company pointed out. Stage 2 (cross-bracing) has to be bolt-on or else you can't get your exhaust off!
—don't mess with Matt Blehm's lower tie-bar. He's a great guy and it's a great product. The SFCs sit between the wheels, not up front by the engine where the LTB is. I already have a LTB and I would want to make sure that any SFC design does not interfere with the LTB
—for the SFCs, the stiffer the better, because a stiff chassis gives me a big hard stiffy

I hope we can have these all done by this fall or next spring at the latest. I hate my flexy chassis! My car sounds so cheap over bumps. My brother's 2002 is much more solid, I think Nissan improved things a lot with the 5th gen chassis.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by VQuick
I have been extremely interested in SFCs for over a year and so I remain. Thanks for doing the initial legwork with this new company, Stuntin! They do sound far better than Warpspeed's little Arkansas "business".

It's a shame, I don't rely on my car at all and giving it up for 2 weeks would be nothing to me, but I'm not close to Pennsylvania.

—we want the material to be as stiff as possible, cro-moly (?) or something really stiff, not mild steel, as someone pointed out
Stainless steel, mild steel, high-alloy steel, cromoly, etc all have the same 'stiffness' (modulus of elasticity, technically). Any differences in rigidity will not be in the material, rather, with the design. Larger tubes, thicker walls, etc. Mild steel may provide the best and most affordable construction and performance. (Although it will instantly start converting to rust, as will your undercarriage once things get welded to it).

Dave
Old 09-02-2005, 01:53 PM

I should stress that whoever offers their car up for these initial measurements should be sure that they have never been in an accident or otherwise have reason to suspect that their car is out of spec. I'd hate to have these guys go through tons of effort, fab up a stack of SFCs, only to realize that everything is off by a couple tenths because of a twisted car frame. BTW, big ups for the guys putting this together.

And yes, something with a degree of corrosion resistance would be very nice.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by bigEL
Upgraded subframe bushings! Not a bad idea. Add them to the list.

Hey, I don't know about you, but I love my grandma. I don't want to replace her with some ex-pro ball player. But if putting Air Jordans on my grandma made her move a little more like Mike, then I'd do it.

I like my computer too. I don't want a supercomputer. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't upgrade my computer once in a while to make it perform better and/or make my life a little easier.

I like my home. I don't want a mansion in a ritzy neighborhood full of stuck-up snobs. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't remodel my home to make it the way I like it.

And hey, guess what? I like my car too. I don't want a sports car. If I did, I would have gotten one in the first place. I don't plan on racing my car, tearing up the streets with my car, or doing anything illegal/stupid in my car. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't make a few changes here/there to make it more enjoyable to drive on a daily basis. That's all I'm looking for. I don't expect any miracles. So now that we cleared that up, please kindly step aside, because some of us have subframe connectors we need made.
we already have the ES lower front subframe bushings....
Old 09-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Chassis Freak

Stainless steel, mild steel, high-alloy steel, cromoly, etc all have the same 'stiffness' (modulus of elasticity, technically). Any differences in rigidity will not be in the material, rather, with the design. Larger tubes, thicker walls, etc. Mild steel may provide the best and most affordable construction and performance.
Thanks for the info. So they differ mainly in hardness/strength and other properties but have the same elasticity?

Let's make sure we get some nice big, thick-walled tubes.

(Although it will instantly start converting to rust, as will your undercarriage once things get welded to it).
That's what rubberized underbody spray coating is for.

And good point, bigEL.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:20 PM
rdilemma

What kind of price are we talking about here? Put me down im sure this wont cost over $250. Do they need to be welded or bolt on?

Old 09-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Chassis Freak

They shouldn't be over $250 but a shop will probably charge $100 or so to do the welding.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by VQuick

—two stages are necessary. Stage 1 has to be weld on as the president of this company pointed out. Stage 2 (cross-bracing) has to be bolt-on or else you can't get your exhaust off!
—don't mess with Matt Blehm's lower tie-bar. He's a great guy and it's a great product. The SFCs sit between the wheels, not up front by the engine where the LTB is. I already have a LTB and I would want to make sure that any SFC design does not interfere with the LTB
—for the SFCs, the stiffer the better, because a stiff chassis gives me a big hard stiffy

I hope we can have these all done by this fall or next spring at the latest. I hate my flexy chassis! My car sounds so cheap over bumps. My brother's 2002 is much more solid, I think Nissan improved things a lot with the 5th gen chassis.

as far as the quality and rigidness of the sfc, honestly, im not even concerned. after looking through some of the other products these people make, TRUST ME, these will not be any challange for them at all.. these people know what there doing.

as far as that lower tie bar.. after being informed that they are designed and made by another org member with a good reputation, i have absolutely no intentions of persuing that. i am actually considering buying one from him myself for 2 reasons. 1- i hate that my car sounds like a shopping cart inside when im going over bumps (which there are no shortage of over here). 2- because it seems that alot of people intrested in getting sfc's also want, or already have that lower tie bar. i would hate to go as far as having these guys make a new sfc set, and not be able to use both. i think the only way for me to insure that is to actually have one installed on my car before design begins on the sfc.

also, i wanted to ask if you had any adverse effects after having that bar installed.. im looking to accomplish 2 things to my car. i want the ride in the car to be more comfortable. i dont really care about the handeling aspect of it. 2- i want to stop the ratteling and shaking. so my question is, did that bar help either, or has it made your car respond to the bumps and potholes worse? if it stiffens up the front of the car, but is making the wheels and tires "crash" harder in response to bumps i may stay away from it.

latest update on my schedule - as i stated before, i just recieved my new lca's inner and outter tie rods, and stabalizer links. i was hoping to be able to have them installed tomorrow, but thats not going to happen. ill be leaving my car with my mechanic tuesday afternoon, picking it up wednesday. the new front end components will join the new struts, mounts and bushings i had installed a few months ago. i want to see how the alighment on the car is after i get it back ( it will be aligned there). i was having problems with a slight pull to the left, and a shimmy in the front. hopefully all this will remedy both. there is also i chance i'll be able to secure a second car to use in the next week or two. as soon as i get a confirmation on the car, i will get my car out to penn. and leave it there for them to use. im going to email the compnay ill be using for the sfc's tonite just to keep in touch with them and let them know what my plans are.

please give me some input and feedback on the lower tie bar so i can decide if i should buy one altogether, or just ask to see if i should "borrow" someone's for fittment purposes.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:12 PM

just another thought... i dont know if this is possible, or even worthwhile cause i really have yet to see a good enough pic of the lower tie bar installed, but what if i can get these guys to make another peice to unite the sfc's with the lower tie bar. im thinking that by doing that, it would basically give the car a frame from the control arms all the way back to the rear sub frame.. thoughts?
Old 09-03-2005, 07:16 AM

If your chassis is stiffer, the worst that can possibly happen when you go over a bump is your suspension bottoming out because your stiff chassis is forcing your suspension to take all of it. But honestly, if a bump is that bad, you got problems either way. Might as well have the LTB.

The other negative effect is that you lose about an inch of ground clearance.

As far as clearance issues for the SFCs, just make sure the SFCs' front mounting point is behind where the LCA bolts to the frame. If you're using Warpspeed's design as a guide, you'll be way in the clear anyway.

Connecting the SFCs to the LTB is a cool idea. The thing is (and correct me if I'm wrong), I think the SFCs would already mount to the same area of the frame as the LCAs, which is where the stage-2 LTB is mounted. Since the distance between those two points is really small, I dunno if we'd really have much flex between them to worry about. Just a thought.

But it'd be pretty simple to do. All you'd have to do is make it bolt to the same areas as the LTB. Assuming you're talking about a stage-2 LTB, you could go about it two ways:

1. Extend the front section of the main rails to have something that bolts to the LCA frame mounts, the same way the stage 2 LTB does
2. Make a bracket that bolts to the X-bracing mounting points on the SFCs and then connects to the LCA frame mounts

Either way, you'd have to make sure that you're using a different hole from what the LTB uses.

If you're talking about working with a stage-1 LTB, you could use the same approaches, but the extensions would have to snake around the undercarriage to get to where the stage-1 LTB bolts up. Might not be worth it.

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, I'd actually be interested to see if this makes a big difference....
Old 09-03-2005, 01:13 PM

it would be real nice if someone had the warpspeed sfc, and the ltb installed together and had a few pics we could peek at

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Hope For Subframe Connectors For 4th Gen Maximas. Who Wants A Set??