4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Hope For Subframe Connectors For 4th Gen Maximas. Who Wants A Set??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 09:13 PM

New Hope For Subframe Connectors For 4th Gen Maximas. Who Wants A Set??

well i dont know how many of you guys have been following the ongoing drama with warpseed performance on the production of a new subframe connector kit for our maximas. honestly, most of you guys probably dont even know that there use to be a subframe connector kit available for our cars. so heres a short re-cap of events.

starting last year, warpspeed had be PROMISING a newly designed sfc kit. myself, along with a few other members have been calling warpspeed for months waiting for them. (i personally started calling them last january). first time i called, i was assured they would be relased in early feb. like they had advertised for months. that month came and went with no new kit released. i must have called them about twice a month, since january up until a few weeks ago. EVERY time i called i was told "the kits will be ready for shipment in about 2 weeks". this went on for roughly 6 months, until one day i called and was told "we are now taking orders on the kits, leave us your credit card info and they will be ready for shipment in about 2 weeks". my response was "ill call back in 2 weeks when there done". needless to say, no new kits were ever made. in the last phone call i placed i was finally told " we have no idea when these kits will actually be made, it seems we bit off more than we could chew".

so now out of pure frustration with warpspeed wasting 8 months of my life, i have contacted a company that manufactures many parts, including suspension parts for pro-street and other drag racing applications. this is the email i sent to them:

" i am one of many members of a nissan maxima website that is looking to have a set of subframe connectors made for a 4th generation 95-99 nissan maximas. previously, there was a kit being made for this car by a company called warp speed preformance, but they are no longer making them. they had been promising them for a little over 8 months now with no results. so now, i am in search of anyone that would be willing to at least make a set for myself, or several sets that could be advertised for sale on our car forum. please let me know if it would be possible to have these made. i will include a picture of the older sets to give a better idea of what it is we need. thanks in advance- kevin "

and within an hour or so, this is the response i got back:

" Wow, whoever was building them has a long way to go in the
quality department!

We can build them no problem. Either find a set to ship to me, or
find someone who can let us use their car and we'd be happy to
come out with a quality set for you guys.

How much did they sell these for?

Steve"

this is the company info:

Steve , President of the company, brings over 20 years of specialty welding/fabrication experience and knowledge to the automotive aftermarket. He is highly skilled in GMAW, GTAW, SMAW, Plasma Arc, and Oxy-Acetylene welding and cutting processes. He is certified by the American Welding Society (AWS) to the stringent ANSI D1.1 structural steel welding code in all four positions. Steve is also a die-hard auto enthusiast who can be found regularly at Maple Grove Raceway drag racing his N20 fogged 396 c.i. stroker small block powered 1986 Camaro Z-28.

Gordon , Vice President of the company, has been involved with high performance automotive construction for over 45 years. He has extensive mechanical skills and knowledge, and is well known for his meticulous attention to detail. Gordon oversees all final assembly and packaging operations.

Our compnay's goal is to construct quality high performance components, and offer them to consumers at a fair price. Our entire operation revolves around that key word: Quality. We don't just say it, we practice it; all day, every day. When we do something, we do it right, or we don't do it! Our attention to detail is what has built our solid reputation, and will be the reason for our continued growth and success

i am withholding the name of the compnay for now just so other people do not become involved in the communication process or start calling or emailing them before anything has even been done.

i am willing to donate my own car so the first set can be made, but im sure if we can organize a few people that arent "just intrested", but are "willing to buy a set" of sfc's from this compnay it will be a big insentive. i have no idea what the prices would be or anything like that, so dont ask me that just yet. i will let you guys know as much as i hear as soon as i hear it if other people are intrested. if some of you guys want a set. let me know here so i will be able to give them an idea of how many they may be able to sell upon release if this project comes through.

for those of you who dont know what these kits can do in terms of handeling and ride quality for our cars, please look into it. this is by far one of the BEST things you can have installed on any unibody car.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:21 PM

anybody feel like digging up a few reviews of a before and after a sfc install??
Old 08-28-2005, 10:26 PM

this may sound retarded but what does a sfc do?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:47 PM

stolen off the warpspeed site :

"Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. The weather has been less than cooperative. I finally had a chance to get out and really push the car and I can now say without a doubt that it is much improved. Small rattles that used to drive me insane are gone. It feel like there is a solid steel plate under the car and the front and rear now react as one. My wife noticed as soon as we went over that first set of railroad tracks as you leave town, how much stiffer the car was. I had a run-in with a BMW 318 yesterday on the way home from work. There's a back road with lots of curves and only one straightaway for passing. At the end of the straightaway, a 90-degree turn to the left. I came up on him right before the straightaway and he was driving pretty slow. I pull out to pass him on the straightaway and he decides to floor it. So I gun it and get in front of him, but I was going a little faster than I planned with not much room to slow down for the turn. I entered the turn WAY TOO FAST! The car held though! I was amazed and grateful. Tires broke free and the car drifted through the turn. I was scared to say the least. I was so close to going in the ditch. My tires need to be upgraded at this point for some with a little more stick to them.
All in all, I am very impressed. The car feels better, rides better, and handles better. "
Old 08-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Hella internets

hhmmmm....

Dependin on the price, i would probly be interested. Keep us updated, and good luck.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:55 PM

sfc's are steel rails that run under the car and get welded to the front and rear "frames" on unibody cars. it in effect "joins" the two and virtually eliminates all of the flex in the car. this mod dramitically improves both handling, and ride quality at the same time. no other mod can come close to the benefits sfc can provide and is a virtual must for people with stiff suspensions. the stiffer you make the suspension, the more force and flex you introduce to other parts of the car, whick is why they develop all sorts of rattles and noises that never go away. a sfc kit eliminates that from happening. not to mention there is an added saftey factor from having two steel tubes welded under the car as opposed to just sheet metal. they make riding in a lowered car ALOT more comfortable too.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by XeroX
hhmmmm....

Dependin on the price, i would probly be interested. Keep us updated, and good luck.
i cant see the price being much different than wsp were.. sfc are basically around the same price no matter what car they are made for.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:05 AM

YA get the price I need these and so dont my boy
Old 08-29-2005, 02:43 AM
SomePsychoGuy

I will definitely be getting a set of these in the near future, and as long as the timing, price, etc. is right I will probably be in the first group deal or batch of these. Worse comes to worse maybe this will get warpspeed to finally get their act together. Now if only we could just get JWT to do the same with their ECUs and horrific downtime.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how much are we talking about here?

I'm willing to spend up to $200 for those

Nick.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:41 AM

If they'll make em for 5th Gens as well, I know some people who would be very interested, myself included.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:42 AM

if you're looking for donor Maximas I'm in, the only fall back is I'm in Montana...Where would you want this to be taking place?!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:45 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

i'm trying not to spend anymore money on my car, but interested.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:09 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

I'll snap these up the instant they're available, as long as the price is right. Good job, Stuntin'. Way to make it happen.

I'm in Philly, and I'd be more than happy to drive up if they need another test car.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Maxima Owner

i am in buffalo.....i would love to get a set of these
Old 08-29-2005, 09:34 AM

put me down for a set
Old 08-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Kevlo for President

I might get them if they are cheaper than Warpspeed.

We need to get the 5th gen boys in this tooo.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by slimer

If you don't want to spend anymore money on your car it would be advised that you stop coming onto maxima sites because all it's going to do is make you want to spend money, and you'll break eventually.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by hacim105
If you don't want to spend anymore money on your car it would be advised that you stop coming onto maxima sites because all it's going to do is make you want to spend money, and you'll break eventually.

If this helps, one trick I use is to research the hell out of a mod I think I want and then drive the car and pay a lot of attention to what I like and don't like about it. It helps me make a good call about whether the mod will be worth it for me.

In the research, I try to figure out what it will do for the car based on my knowledge of car dynamics, and I ask for a lot of advice from people who know. Then, while I'm driving, I try to think about what I don't like about how my car acts, how often those things annoy me, whether the mod will make enough of a difference, and how often and how much I will actually feel and appreciate that improvement.

When I use that logic, something like a Y-pipe, which seems great for the money at first, starts to become less attractive when I realize how infrequently another 15 hp would even matter to me. It's a great way to cut down a list of mods.

That's why all I have in my car so far is a 5-speed conversion, lightweight wheels and tires, coilovers, and a fairly basic sound system. It's all about bang-for-the-buck. Those mods make the car MUCH better ALL the time in a way that I ALWAYS feel.

The same logic, of course, also leads me to want subframe connectors. So here I am. But yeah... I've found that thinking that way is a great way to gain some perspective on modding.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by slimer

haha, everyone's a comedian. oh, uh, you were serious? well, good luck.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM

if it's a good price i'd be interested
Old 08-29-2005, 04:13 PM

just some different reviews and explanations i dug up on the net for anyone that is unsure exactly what these are, and what these do. these reviews are not from maxima's, but the effects of subframe connectors apply to ANY unibody car:

Okay, subframes connect the front and rear of your car together. Our cars are uni-body. That means that our thin, and weak floor pan serve as a link between the front and rear of the car. Look under you car, you will see a jacking rail under the front and back, but nothing between the two.
That is where the subframes come in. They connect the two together and serve to reinforced and stiffen the chassis. I had a 88 t-top Fox and after i installed them the difference was night and day.
I suggest this as a first mod to anyone.

Sub frame connectors connect the rear of the car to the front of the car. The front & rear both have small frame type areas that the suspension bolts to and only floor pan between them. When installed sub frames connectors it ties the front with the back, hence making the car stiffer with less flex. Convertibles are worse that coupes, since they do not have a top that helps stiffen up the body, verts with sub frames have a noticible difference in body flex. Body flex is not good.

Another reason a car or truck won't respond right away when you step on the gas or turn the wheel is because the vehicle is trying to twist itself. This is wasted energy, reducing your fuel economy and your vehicle's responsiveness. Fortunately, accessories that stiffen your vehicle--including subframe connectors and strut tower braces--will reduce this body flex, so your car or truck will respond to your commands more quickly. Install sub-frame connectors and improve traction, handling and help eliminate squeaks and rattles.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:16 PM

this is a really good one.. if some of you guys thought your strut bars make a difference, i STRONGLY suggest you get intrested if this deal comes through.. read on..

Subframe connectors are not new. They have been around for years. I have installed hundreds of sets on Mustangs. In that chassis, they make a big difference. In a RWD car, when you step on the gas, the car twists because the engine is lifting up on the left front of the chassis. The subframe connectors are made of steel tubing that is welded to the chassis and prevent the twisting that this causes. I didn't feel that the benefits of this would make a big difference in the SHO's FWD chassis. Boy, was I wrong. I was fooling around with mine one day and decided to weld up a set. I installed them and was amazed at the difference they made in the feel of the chassis. I used to be able to wind the motor up in first gear to 4,000 and snap my foot to the floor. The car would respond by immediately spinning the tires and breaking traction. This would last for a while and then finally the tires would hook and pull the car. After installing the connectors, I tried the same thing. The results were dramatically different. This time, when I snapped my foot to the floor, the tires chirped a couple of times and immediately pulled away without loss of traction.

I remember thinking to myself, "Where the hell did that come from"?

After taking a look at the engineering aspect of what I had done, it became clear. Since the motor is transverse, when you step on the gas, it lifts up on the core support and pushes down on the firewall. This transfers weight off the front and forces the chassis to bow down in the middle. This is where the weight transfer comes from. When I install the connectors, I use a chassis lift. This induces a bow up in the chassis from lifting the car at points inside the wheel base (there is more car hanging off the ends of the rack). When the connectors are welded into position and the car is put back on the tires, the chassis is preloaded straight. Now, when you put your foot into the gas, the car can't bow down in the middle. This will keep more weight on the front end and keep the tires on the ground.

There are more benefits than just traction. The car remains flatter, longer in corners, because the chassis can't twist. When you turn the wheel hard, the front wants to roll but the back doesn't. With the connectors installed, the chassis wants to roll together. This keeps the car flatter while cornering. Also, those irritating creeks and squeaks around the back doors and package area will all but go away With the front tied to the back, now those areas can't flex and make noise.

I have installed a bunch of sets and have a lot of impressive feedback. Everyone has really noticed a difference and has enjoyed effects of a stiffer, more well balanced chassis
Old 08-29-2005, 05:13 PM
retired moderator

it would be great if you could get this guy to make them for the 5th gen as well....we obviously have the same problems that you do with warpspeed. I'm sure that someone in the NY area with a 5th gen would be happy to test-fit them.

plus, that would mean more sales, which would probably mean lower prices for everyone!!!

let us know on the 5th gen forum if this is viable!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:38 PM

problem is, the compnany isnt located in new york, its in pennsylvania, and i will more than likely have to give up my car for about 2 weeks to have everything done. im still talking with the president of the company, im sure something can be worked out.
people have to be serious about this though, cause for me to give up the only car i have for 2 weeks is alot to ask.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:48 PM

where at in pa?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Boosted Panda

Id like a set, but its going to depend on theprice.
Its hard for you top ask everyone to be seriously commited withour even throwing up some type of ball park price.
I dont see very many people saying their definatly in, without the price being listed.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Kevlo for President

It's bent 1.0in tubes. I hope it doesnt cost too much.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:47 PM

i cant see it being more than any other kits out there for any other car. like kevlo said, its only bent metal. this is part of the last email i recieved from the president of the company.

"What we would want to do is design a SFC system for your cars
that we could then offer as an off the shelf and ready to install
product to whoever wanted them. That does not happen in one day
unfortunately. We would design laser cut mounting brackets, figure
out all the tubing bends, etc. Once that was done, then we would
build a set on the car. Then we have to build a jig to allow us to
reproduce the SFCs. Finally, we build a set out of the jig and
confirm a perfect fit on the car. After all that, we're in the Maxima
SFC business."

i have just asked them to give me some idea on what a price might be, if they'd be intrested in designing 2 different stages similar to warpspeed's, and if they usually add some kind of finish to their products. (paint/powdercoat) . when i know more, you'll know more. nobody asked for a commiment, i only asked for serisous intrest. i just dont want to waste their time, or anyone elses. warp speed did enough of that.

remember, this is a compnay that designs and builds chassis, roll cages, and suspension components for pro-street applications.. this is not some bored redneck tinkering with a welder in his back yard. if these get made, it will be a QUALITY product
Old 08-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Kevlo for President

Give them that pic. And I know the 5th genners had better pic of the SFC we could give them.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 PM

ive sent them a bunch of 4th gen pics, let me get ideas of prices and work with that first. try and get some more pics for the 5th gen. youd also need a donor car someone can give up for 2 weeks
Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 PM

Add me to the list

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
i cant see it being more than any other kits out there for any other car. like kevlo said, its only bent metal. this is part of the last email i recieved from the president of the company.

"What we would want to do is design a SFC system for your cars
that we could then offer as an off the shelf and ready to install
product to whoever wanted them. That does not happen in one day
unfortunately. We would design laser cut mounting brackets, figure
out all the tubing bends, etc. Once that was done, then we would
build a set on the car. Then we have to build a jig to allow us to
reproduce the SFCs. Finally, we build a set out of the jig and
confirm a perfect fit on the car. After all that, we're in the Maxima
SFC business."
I'm very interested in Stage I for a 5th gen, especially if the quality is good. Their other kits go for around $200, but these are for F-bodies/Mustangs, which I imagine enjoy a greater economy of scale than our cars. But given the benefits of SFCs, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a quality set, especially if they were made from cro-moly, rather than mild steel. If I recall, the old price for WS SFCs was $295. Not sure what their new price is. But competition will bring prices down, right?

I got all excited when I read the part about the laser cut mounting brackets, thinking that he was taking about a bolt-on kit. But looking at the installation pics, I'm guessing that's not the case. Nevertheless, still interested.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Give them that pic. And I know the 5th genners had better pic of the SFC we could give them.
Its from one of your mod's homepage.... 1MAX2NV'S 4th Gen:

Old 08-29-2005, 09:25 PM

pic sent.. thanks.. will let you guys know more as soon as i hear back from them tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
pic sent.. thanks.. will let you guys know more as soon as i hear back from them tomorrow.
Cool.... interestingly enough, I can't locate any pics of the SFCs on a 5/5.5 Gen... thanks for the efforts.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 PM

try your best to find some kinda pics.. better if there not on the car yet i would think. this way he can get an overall idea of the shapes.. but im sure anything would help.. from they way things sound so far, he is more than willing to do this, and i keep trying to explain to him the high demand in the maxima community alone. just imagine what this guy can make if he starts doing them for other imports. i

know itll suck for 1 or 2 people to have to give up their cars for use as a donor for a while. i may just have to donate mine for the 4th gens.. im desperate for these, and i would love nothing more than to push warpspeed out of the market. just out of pure spite for the lies and lack of respect they show for its paying customers. they're not the only guys on the block and im determined to remind them of that.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:57 PM

Have ya seen this crappy pic from the WS site? I'm sure ya have...

I'll keep looking, and yeah, I hope this will generate enough interest for at least one batch of SFCs to be made...
Old 08-30-2005, 06:25 AM

I don't think we necessarily need powdercoating... maybe at least just have an option for a cheaper anti-rust coating?

Or is powdercoating cheaper than I think it is...
Old 08-30-2005, 10:03 AM

Well I'll be down for a set depending on price. Let us know.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:50 PM

latest update .. ill just copy the email i got back.. its basically my questions, with his answers..

> entire time. plus i would like to have a better idea of what EXACTLY
> would be designed and installed on my car. Things like, will you be
> designing a stage 1 and stage 2 set ? if so what one would i get? is
> it possible to have it powder coated?

I'll build whatever you guys want. All of our parts are powder coated,
so if people want them coated, no problem.

> i know it may be a little early in the process to start asking more
> questions, but I, and other people are curious to know what you would
> charge for these kits. people are assuming they would be about the
> same price Warp Speed charged for their kits. other questions that
> will come up are going to be : willit be possible to have a stage 2
> "x" brace available, will the sfc come with any type of finish on them
> ( painted/powder coated), ground clearence loss / weight (alot of
> these cars are lowered anywhere from an 1.5" to 3.0" ). i realize that
> you would have to actually make a set in order to know some of this,
> but i just thought id let you know that these are issues for some
> people. i probably dont even have to tell you that after reading your
> background.

Our current SFCs for other cars range from $150.00 to $240.00. It
depends on what all is invloved, labor, materials, etc. I can't say
until I see what we have to do. But, I would guess from your
pictures that the price would be in the same range.

Stage 1, Stage 2, we can do whatever people want. We have some
serious equipment here, so nothing is out of our capabilities.
Looking at your pictures I don't see any ground clearance issues, it
looks very easy to tuck them up high and dry. We can do them bare
or powder coated.

> i realize that you are looking to design and sell an off the shelf
> product. this wont be a problem. this is what everyone is expecting.
> the Warp Speed sets came with installation instructions to be givin to
> an installer, which was usually a muffler shop. i dont know if it
> would be possible to do, but a bolt on kit might very well attract
> more buyers. personally i would want mine welded, and if there was a
> stage 2 "X" brace, better for it to be bolt on for easy removal in
> case someone needs to get in there. ok i think i gave you enough to
> read for moment, so ill wait to hear back from you again and see what
> we can do.

The main SFC shafts (Stage 1) I will only make as a weld in. Bolting
them in is just hanging weight. You need to weld them in to have
them do the job properly. Stage 2 X braces could easily be made to
bolt in, and if someone wanted to weld them they could.

Steve

Quick Reply: New Hope For Subframe Connectors For 4th Gen Maximas. Who Wants A Set??