4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starting=CRAP...??????????? Done too much, and still not fixed..

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey, I have a 98 GLE that has started fine until tonight. I went out tonight to start it. It cranks fine, but won't turn over. I pulled codes 0101(Camshaft Position Sensor) and 0504(Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU). I hope its a quick fix like the sensor. Any thoughts?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:13 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by bigsmokin
Hey, I have a 98 GLE that has started fine until tonight. I went out tonight to start it. It cranks fine, but won't turn over. I pulled codes 0101(Camshaft Position Sensor) and 0504(Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU). I hope its a quick fix like the sensor. Any thoughts?

replace the cam sensor. If you want an extra control unit, i can sell you one.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:49 PM

There's a bunch of threads about starters for the 4th gen. Nissan swears that only genuine starters work and there is a lot of evidence the aftermarket and rebuilds are problems. There are TSB's in the stickies above. My understanding is that the ecu has to see a good smooth, fast crank to pick up a proper timing signal. Burping and fartin when trying to start is usually an indication that the timing is off.
I have the same problem following an engine swap and I don't have it fixed yet.
The ignition switches can fail also but my understanding there is that the car will start fine three times and won't start at all the forth.....no in between stuff.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:52 PM

Ive had the same problem. I havent actually read the whole thread, but have you checked the Ground that connects to the transmission? I had my tranny replace about two months ago. After i got the car back it had a starting problem. I replaced the Spark PLugs, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump /strainer, and some other things. Finally i decided to take it to my friend who works over @ Nissan and within minutes he knew what the problem was. He cleaned the the spot where the ground touches and also recommneded i change my Negative Cable. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:22 AM

Blackmax, Tell me about the OEM starter, does it have 11 teeth (mine has 10), do you have a part no.? Did it help? I'm at the end of my friggin rope with this. I'll blow the bucks on a real starter but I'm not really comfortable this is the cure.
This engine runs perfect , like new, after I push start it. It's a timing problem when cranking.
I even wired up the starter and solenoid to run off another battery to eliminate any problem the starter was causing electrically when cranking. No change. I've run ground wires everywhere, I've worn out my multimeter checking everything. Why is it a problem for so many of us who have pulled trannies(or in my case engine and tranny)?
The old Honda Accord was a pretty fine car.......... at least I could sleep at night.....
Old 12-04-2005, 05:19 AM

Bump.........
Old 12-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

OEM starter has 10 teeth (aside from early 8 tooth starters). I would only replace it if you think it's not turning the flywheel. You might want to try testing it at autozone. In the past, I have used an aftermarket starter and it worked just fine. Because I was stuck in this "part swap" mode to troubleshoot the starting problem, I traded it in for an OEM starter and it made no difference. Your situation may be different though.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:44 PM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

Bump it up.
I'm taking it to SR20DEN this weekend and getting a slew of things done to the car, as well as getting THIS issue FIXED.
I will report back when its done.

Mike
Old 12-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a similar issue. My 96 maxima will not start on cold mornings. The lights all work and the radio works but there is no noise from the start no click or grind to indicate it is even there. I have had the starter replaced cause the mechanic said that was what i need and the next morning it was the same thing all over again.. The strange thing is if i park it inside a heated garge at night it starts fine. What could this possible be i need to fix this and hopefully not spend alot looking to get a new max but need this for a trade and can't trade if she isn't running.. Thank you if anyone can help me out.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:52 PM

Wow not many maniacs on this board welcome to the org. I would check my starter signal switch it is located in the steering column it's like a $25 part at the dealer. Does wiggling the key in the start position help at all sometimes the contacts in the switch get crappy common problem on maxs.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:48 PM

car fixed
Old 12-19-2005, 06:15 PM

Details, my man... details!

Congrats though. I wish I had a competant mechanic over here I could trust. Sure beats all the guess work and part swapping.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cam pos sensor???
Old 12-20-2005, 02:57 PM

I'm into day 3 with my new/used starter. It fires up every time but still gives the out of timing burp every once in a while. It did seem to start better today though.
The magic starter is made by Hitachi. 23300-2Y900. It has 11 teeth.

Jon
Old 12-20-2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by maxman12
It fires up every time but still gives the out of timing burp every once in a while.
Please give us another update in a month. When I first changed the Cam POS, it seemed to do the trick...no hiccups (like that "timing burp" term!) for a whole week. Then I got one. Now I noticed it the same as before... still an intermittent problem but still noticeably present.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:13 PM

problem=tranny installation.
Much was wrong, much was fixed... had nothing to do with sensors....
Mike

I'll get into it later
Old 02-04-2006, 01:47 PM

update?

mike, you said your problem was the tranny installation and a lot was wrong... care to elaborate on what the problems were or what the solution was?

i'm in the same boat (had to replace rear main seal though) with the tough starting. tested crank sensor and it seemed faulty, so got a new one which seemed to test ok. the result? nothing. same problem... im sick of it. been happening since september and im afraid my starter is in danger if this hard starting keeps up
Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got the same problem

BlackMax, kindly give use details of how you eventually got your Max sorted.

I have been having the same problem with my 1998 VQ30 manual for a few months now.

Hope you will give us details.

Cheers!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by blackmaxx96
Mike

I'll get into it later

Well? Details man.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had the same problem after i replaced my trans,and on another maxx that was in the garage i work at...and i came to the conclusion that theres a bracket behind the cps an i took it out and put the cps back without the bracket there and everything was fine
Old 12-12-2010, 03:47 PM

so what was it blackmax? this thread is such a bummer. what was the problem? please.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 PM

Here we go again bumping old threads....
Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sup maxima junkies I have the same exact problem hard time to start wen engine is cold but wen engine is warm car is fine .. I changed fuel filter fuel pump spark plugs mass air flow sensor knock sensor & I still have no luck it seems like the ignition switch might be da problem because sometimes wen I turn the key it delays ignition contact for about 1/2 second & then cranks .. I'm going to change the ignition switch next week & post back
Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sup maxima junkies I have the same exact problem hard time to start wen engine is cold but wen engine is warm car is fine .. I changed fuel filter fuel pump spark plugs mass air flow sensor knock sensor & I still have no luck it seems like the ignition switch might be da problem because sometimes wen I turn the key it delays ignition contact for about 1/2 second & then cranks .. I'm going to change the ignition switch next week & post back
Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 PM

So I'm having the same problem with my 97 5 speed. I have a new stater,battery,alternator,CPS,CTS,starter relay, inhibitor clutch relay, and still starts like crap. So I tested the volts on the starter signal fuse no power at all and the fuse is good. SO what dose that mean? The starter signal switch is bad or the ignition switch is bad ?Or are they they the same thing? I'm confused here If any one can let me know so I can buy the right one tomorrow from the dealership any info will be greatly appreciated thanks. The ignition switch is $59.00 at my local dealer. I don't know how much the starter signal switch is but stated above It's $25.00 so lat me know what you think.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM

So I replaced the battery terminals along with a new battery ground wire and went and replaced the ignition switch and I don't recommend getting one from auto zone this is why. When I put the new terminals and ground cable my car started faster than yesterday it started starting on the second crank and I was not not that impressed. I went to auto zone around the corner and picked up a ignition switch for $27.00 Put it in and my car and it had a nervous brake down took forever to start and back fired a few times. when it did start it started spiting codes CEL light came on of course. When I was trying to read the codes with the car off ignition on the rpm tac started moving on it's own and the injectors were clicking at the same time and so I took that off my car and returned it and now I wont buy a electrical part for my car unless its from the dealer. But, It did benefit a little when i put the new terminals and ground cable and put my original ignition switch back in. I will do some more poking around tomorrow oh I forgot to mention that I have a 00VI and my problem has ben around since I did my clutch and fly wheel couple months back.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:58 PM

i have been in the same boat ever since i replaced my clutch. read all of the many posts about this problem. what i think it comes down to is the mating surfaces of the tranny. if you did not completely clean them, you are not getting a good enough ground which means you are going to have a hard start problem, no matter what you do.

sometimes it takes 10 tries to start, sometimes she starts right up on the first turn. doesnt matter if its hot or cold.

i have an evap leak, maybe i will have better luck once i fix that? i hope so
Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 AM

Some times it takes ten twenty or one time for me to get this pos started but if what you said is true about the mating surfaces. I'm going to add some grounds to the trans and block where they mate together when I get a chance. I will post back when I do so thanks for the input Swazey.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:56 PM

anytime, just let us know where you put your ground wires and if they helped or not.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:15 AM

Goto your local parts house and pick up some battery cables with lugs on both ends and follow this guide. It def. helped mine crank faster and start better.

VQpower.com - News: ActiveTuning Custom Engine Grounding Kit
Old 12-20-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kico
I will do some more poking around tomorrow oh I forgot to mention that I have a 00VI and my problem has ben around since I did my clutch and fly wheel couple months back.
Ah man u got classic hard starting issues.

Whenever u remove the tranny from the engine, u have to clean the mating surfaces to restore proper electrical conductivity for the CKPS to read. IF u dont clean the mating surfaces u gonna have hard start issues. A lot of members have reported the issue after clutch job.

To fix: all u have to do is add a ground wire from neg battery terminal to a bolt on the tranny. Should be good afterwards

EDIT: do a SEARCH, i think WXM, and Trini_BOOM posted pics of grounding cable. 8 awg or 4 awg
Old 12-21-2010, 07:44 PM

Yesterday I replaced my ten tooth starter ( a week old )with a eleven tooth starter it cranks faster now and starts faster. I made a engine grounding kit did not have time yesterday to install it because it started snowing out side. Tomorrow I will install the grounding kit like in in shift_5 link above all so I think cashoit is right as well so I will give them both a shot tomorrow and see what I come up with. I will keep you posted thanks for all the good Info.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 PM

where did you get the 11tooth starter? and how much was it?

it's snowing here too and i need to change my passenger axle seal!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:14 PM

There'S about 2596 solutions on this forums, but none was clear enough.

I got this problem after my tranny replacement (5spds) and painting the tranny:

What I did : - The usual grounding kit on the transmission (help a little bit)
- Make a good metal/metal contact with the bell screws by grinding them and the holes (without removing the tranny). Add a little bit of dielectrical grease and thats it.

----the transmission needs a good electrical connection with the ENGINE BLOCK, not the battery.----
Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 PM

[quote=Swazey;7861337]where did you get the 11tooth starter? and how much was it?

I got the 11tooth starter at MG auto electric out of Arlington heights IL. It's five minuets from my house cost $145 brand new not a remand with a one year warranty. Worked good for two days and this morning when I tried to start it up at 6am it cranked slow and than herd some grinding and no cranking I gave up went to work and after work I took the starter out took it back and Larry the owner fixed the starter and now it starter works good. The car not the best but defiantly a lot better.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 PM

So engine grounding kit installed upgraded battery to a optima red top and put scosche nickle plated terminals. Had the starter brake the drive gear or something. Got that fixed to day to car starts faster then it's been in a few weeks ain't perfect but I will deal with it. I have had it with this car I want to through wrenches instead of turn them. But everything I have done has helped minus the parts from auto zone. I will try to post pic's of where I put my grounds as soon as I can. Thanks for the help and ideas so far car is OK but tomorrows a different day with different problems I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by blackmaxx96
Mike

I'll get into it later
wat the hell man,, when u need help u went into detail, now ya car fixed u not giving the details so the other member can get theres fixed too... smh
Old 12-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It was the starter

I was having the same problems referenced here. Started checking all wiring and groundings. OK. Started replacing parts with the ignition switch since it was the cheapest possible fix. It was fine. Went to the starter next... and that was the culprit. $120 at AutoZone and $60 to the mechanic that helped me with diagnosis and putting in the parts. Oh, $10 of the $60 was a Christmas bonus.

My transmission is the original automatic, so that wasn't a factor.