4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

b-pipe question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 08:56 AM

do we have any O2 sensors on our b-pipe? i plan on doing a custom one this week and want to make sure... also, is there anything i should advise the mechanic of doing, is there anything special about our b-pipes? thanks

btw, i have a 97 gxe... thanks!
Old 05-27-2001, 10:22 AM

I have the stillen b-pipe on my max, and there is a bung where the rear O2 sensor goes in. Its just behind the cat. Make sure you put that in, if you are going to do a custom pipe.
Old 05-27-2001, 01:26 PM

b-pipe

Is your pipe going to be mandrel bent? You get about 20-25% better flow over traditional crimp bending. Also, you probably shouldn't use tubing over 2.5" or you will lose some low end torque. If you get rid of the restrictive area behind the cat.its bound to help your flow.

Dan WSP
Old 05-27-2001, 02:00 PM

Re: b-pipe

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
Is your pipe going to be mandrel bent? You get about 20-25% better flow over traditional crimp bending. Also, you probably shouldn't use tubing over 2.5" or you will lose some low end torque. If you get rid of the restrictive area behind the cat.its bound to help your flow.

Dan WSP
im goin to with 2.5 inch piping but im not sure if its goin to be crimped or mandrel bent, don even know what it is. can you explain the difference and what kind of tools are used to do each. ive been to this shop half a dosen times so i know what kind of tools he works with(by eye description). also, where is WSP located at? ive always been wondering and iminterested in the y-pipe, thanks!

btw, the cost is $70, does that sound mandrel bent or crimped bent? thanks
Old 05-27-2001, 04:53 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: b-pipe

Originally posted by _DRU_

im goin to with 2.5 inch piping but im not sure if its goin to be crimped or mandrel bent, don even know what it is. can you explain the difference and what kind of tools are used to do each. ive been to this shop half a dosen times so i know what kind of tools he works with(by eye description). also, where is WSP located at? ive always been wondering and iminterested in the y-pipe, thanks!

btw, the cost is $70, does that sound mandrel bent or crimped bent? thanks
$70 bucks, that's crimped bent and non-stainless!! but it will be ok for a N/A max to go with 2.5" crimped because your still better much better than stock 2" crimped.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: b-pipe

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

$70 bucks, that's crimped bent and non-stainless!! but it will be ok for a N/A max to go with 2.5" crimped because your still better much better than stock 2" crimped.
yeahh, its the aluminum thing metal...
Old 05-28-2001, 10:28 AM

Mandrel

Mandrel bent means there are no bends...inside or out. I would rather spend $40-50 more and have that then 2.5" piping that is still cruch bent. Those pipes have bends in them that slow down the spent fuel(exhasut). Spend the money on mandrel or you will be back here saying you noticed no difference.

Good luck!
SHUMAX
Old 05-28-2001, 10:40 AM

Re: Mandrel

Originally posted by shumax
Mandrel bent means there are no bends...inside or out. I would rather spend $40-50 more and have that then 2.5" piping that is still cruch bent. Those pipes have bends in them that slow down the spent fuel(exhasut). Spend the money on mandrel or you will be back here saying you noticed no difference.

Good luck!
SHUMAX
ya that's partly true but he's going to a .5" bigger pipe and if you look at the volume of a 2" to a 2.5" there is a LOT more room inside that one and he's N/A. I won't get a crush bent because i'm looking to run 100 shot of NOS maybe.
Old 05-28-2001, 12:13 PM

Re: Mandrel

Originally posted by shumax

Good luck!
SHUMAX
correct - turbulent flow = not what you want.

you're better off with a mandrel bent 2.25" piping than a crimp bent 2.5" piping.
Old 05-28-2001, 07:18 PM

Re: Re: Mandrel

Now do most shops to mandrel bent pipes too? most of the small muffler shops around me i believe are crimped bent.. thanks
Old 05-28-2001, 07:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Mandrel

Originally posted by _DRU_
Now do most shops to mandrel bent pipes too? most of the small muffler shops around me i believe are crimped bent.. thanks

only big operations are gonna mandrel bend. i asked the guy at the muffler shop near me and a crimper bender is 14K and the mandrel is 40K!!! find a small shop with that kind of dough
Old 05-28-2001, 10:20 PM

in a mandrel bend, they actually put a mandrel in the pipe as they bend it to keep the diameter of the pipe constant as it's being bent.

i don't know if anyone has read about this, but there is one better bend than a mandrel bend, but i think it may have a patent. the result of the bend looks like the head of a cobra snake... where it flares out, fattens and flattens. it's used in race motorcycles. the below is from the www.micron-exhaust.com site for motorcycles. look under serpent exhaust.

FROM THE WWW.MICRON-EXHAUST.COM WEB SITE
Need a simpler version? Take the extremely high speed gas particle flow of your exhaust as it leaves the exhaust port, and picture it entering the first bend in the exhaust header. By centrifugal force, all the gas is "pushed" to outside of the bend in the pipe, causing a vacuum, or "reversion", on the inside bend of the pipe in this same location. Much the same as watching a fast flowing river entering a bend, you can see the water working its way back "up river" at the inside of the bend, which is what is called negative flow. Through the use of the most sophisticated software and engineering in the world, we create the "Serpent" header design that virtually eliminates this negative flow, while still maintaining the pressure wave and velocity at almost a perfect level. The end result is a stronger pressure wave for scavenging and minimal loss of exhaust gas velocity, both of which translate to MORE HORSEPOWER!

I don't think there's serpent exhausts available for cars, but I thought I'd just let people know that it is possible to do one better than mandrel bends

-V