4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

squeeky brakes!!! driving me nuts! ahhh!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:08 PM

squeeky brakes!!! driving me nuts! ahhh!!!!

cliffs at bottom for the lazy/people like me who dont wanna read alot of junk.

so i was at the mechanic, ect ect, he has wheels off. i mention my brakes squeek, he says they are in fantastic shape.. like 85%. when i got it they were rated at 85% front 90% rear i think.. in that range, i dont think the number is relivant.

problem:
my brakes squeek like mad at low speeds. parking lot speeds and things like that make an awful, loud squeek. im so embarrased to have my car screaming like that. the mechanic said they are "good but are a bit glazed." now what the heck does that mean, and more importantly, how the heck do i fix it/the noise.

the brakes work fine, ive had a few times where i had to SLAM my brakes to avoid a crash/abrupt red light, both were from about 70mph and i stoped very well and in the case of the red light even locked the tires. both cases the braking was safe and all was well.

cliffs:
1. brakes squeek
2. they work fine(tested)
3. mechanic said they are glazed
4. what does it mean that they are glazed, and how do i fix that?(or do i?)
5. how do i remedy this awful sqeeking!
Old 11-04-2005, 06:20 PM
No more Maximas...

Mine are the same way.

Well, I don't know about them being glazed over, but they sure squeak steadily at very slow speeds, and only at 1/2-3/4 application of the brake pedal. I've tried two or three different types of squeal compound, but none has worked so far.

I think I'm going to just douse everything in Brakleen and try one more time.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:26 PM

lol

weird..., we have the exact same problem. i dont recall it happening 5k miles ago. but it is now....... actually it seems to have started around my last oil change! weird.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Both of you -

1. what pads?
2. were the rotors resurfaced when you replaced the pads?
3. did you use anti-squeal goop on the backs of the pads and the shims?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:35 PM

The squealing sound is caused by a high-frequency vibration when a brake pad rubs against the brake rotor. You probably do not hear squealing when the pads are fully pressed against the rotor during hard braking. Only during light braking.

To avoid this, when the brake pads are installed:
-use new shims, the shims are thin, springy metal backing plates that fit between the caliper and the back of each brake pad
-coat the back of the pad with anti-squeal compound, this is a copper or polymer-based goop that will dry to a rubbery consistency. The compound absorbs vibration which prevents your pads from vibrating (and squealing). You can buy it from the auto parts store.

You can re-install your pads following these guidelines to quiet them down.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Both of you -

1. what pads?
2. were the rotors resurfaced when you replaced the pads?
3. did you use anti-squeal goop on the backs of the pads and the shims?
1. stock(as far as i know)
2. i never replaced them. car only has 71k miles. i got it at 63k
3. i have no idea
Old 11-04-2005, 06:38 PM

when i got my car it had new pads on old rotors and it did the same thing(very embarrasing lol) i got new rotors and pads for under $100 and it was fine. spray new pads with brake cleaner when done oil or grease on them will make them squeek
Old 11-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by evil_spork
1. stock(as far as i know)
2. i never replaced them. car only has 71k miles. i got it at 63k
3. i have no idea
Then follow the advice MilesA provided - but you might want to take some fine sandpaper and take the shine (glaze) off the rotors (both sides). Don't sand too hard - just enough to rough them up slightly... use fine grit paper or emery cloth.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:42 PM

2000 grit sandpaper?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Do I get a tax break?

2000 grit sandpaper?
sure - anything fine - like I said, you just want to take the shine off... don't want to introduce any indentations, etc. If you really want to be adventurous, you can just pop the rotors off and have them machined at Pepboys for 7 bucks each.... but if you're going to do that, you may as well do a complete brake job and replace the pads.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:18 AM

any suggestions for good pads for some spirited ( mostly normal) driving. I am looking for low noise and dust, are stock pads still the way to go?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ben99sel
any suggestions for good pads for some spirited ( mostly normal) driving. I am looking for low noise and dust, are stock pads still the way to go?
I'm using Akebono Pro-ACT brand which are very good quality ceramic pads, with the plain Brembo rotors. Very happy with this combination.

The OEM pads are pretty good, also.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:25 AM

i like my oem nissan pads + autozone rotors... no problems here
Old 11-05-2005, 12:33 PM

Using Brembo Slotted on all for corners, with EBC green stuffs up front, and hawk HPS in the rear. When first installing the new brakes I followed the bedding in process and I never had any squealing or squeaking problems. As far as braking performance, there is virtually no fade under hard braking. Good combo IMHO.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:53 PM

Put pad compound behind pads. Clean with Brake cleaner. If they are truely galzed you are jumping on you brakes to hard to often. Going down hills alot and hitting brakes on the way down. How do the rotors look?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ben99sel
there are some pads that are called something like "acubono." That may not be teh correct spelling but its close to that. They are supposed to not squeak and have zero brake dust, but I believe they are about $80 for a set for the front brakes.

My rotors were sqeeking really bad, I was able to put in a new anti sqeak shims behind the pads and now they are perfectly silent. I think the shims were like $4 too.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:40 PM

cliffs at bottom for the lazy/people like me who dont wanna read alot of junk.

so i was at the mechanic, ect ect, he has wheels off. i mention my brakes squeek, he says they are in fantastic shape.. like 85%. when i got it they were rated at 85% front 90% rear i think.. in that range, i dont think the number is relivant.

problem:
my brakes squeek like mad at low speeds. parking lot speeds and things like that make an awful, loud squeek. im so embarrased to have my car screaming like that. the mechanic said they are "good but are a bit glazed." now what the heck does that mean, and more importantly, how the heck do i fix it/the noise.

the brakes work fine, ive had a few times where i had to SLAM my brakes to avoid a crash/abrupt red light, both were from about 70mph and i stoped very well and in the case of the red light even locked the tires. both cases the braking was safe and all was well.

cliffs:
1. brakes squeek
2. they work fine(tested)
3. mechanic said they are glazed
4. what does it mean that they are glazed, and how do i fix that?(or do i?)
5. how do i remedy this awful sqeeking!

my was doing the same thing, mainly at low speeds, so i turned the rotors and scuffed the pads w/ sand paper to remove some glaze and it works great. Quiet!!!