4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Has Any Experienced ECUXtend for our cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Bacon Lover

So what kind of requirements are there for the software? I'm sure we'll want to use a PDA for ease of size and storage, rather than a laptop, so what kind of capabilities does the PDA need to have?

For example, could I go out and buy a slightly used one to use...or am I going to need a new one which will probably be out of my budget?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Kevlo for President

Can we extend the revlimit with this software?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Maxima.Org Bishes

Thanks Caz for clearing up the Question I couldn't explain it better than you. If PDA's are need I have a few used I-PAQ couple of Compaq 3950 and 3850s that i'm willing to sell for cheap.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Good question, I'd like to know this as well
Originally Posted by MAXDADDY98
If PDA's are need I have a few used I-PAQ couple of Compaq 3950 and 3850s that i'm willing to sell for cheap.
Sweet
Old 12-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Caz
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi Tatanko,
EcuXtend is only for PDA's, you cant run this system on a laptop. It is supported with Hewlett Packard iPAQ Pocket PC powered with Microsoft PocketPC 2002 or above with a processor speed of at least 200MHz. Models supported: rz1700 series, iPAQ 4100 series, hx 4700 series, rx 3000 series and pretty much any HP PDA newer.

The reason it is supported with HP PDA's is Hewlett Packard produce consistently high quality products with good warranties and they were also very helpful with technical information during the development of ecuXtend, knowing pinouts and electronic details was cruitial.

The PDA certainly doesnt need to be new or fancy, I run the basic HP rz1710, it was $249 new (AUD) and ecuxtend doesnt stop you using all the regular PDA functions. so it doesnt need to be expensive.

Caz..

Originally Posted by Tatanko
So what kind of requirements are there for the software? I'm sure we'll want to use a PDA for ease of size and storage, rather than a laptop, so what kind of capabilities does the PDA need to have?

For example, could I go out and buy a slightly used one to use...or am I going to need a new one which will probably be out of my budget?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Caz
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Nope, cant extend the rev limit.. sorry,

Caz..
Old 12-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Caz
Nope, cant extend the rev limit.. sorry,

Caz..
That, sir, may have just lost you a lot of product support. One thing that is crucial with us is being able to extend the rev limit to take advantage of variable intakes and things of that nature. I don't mean to be hostile, I'm just telling you that rev limit extensions are pretty important to the 4th gen Maxima crowd.

Is there a possibility you could make this a function in the future?

Well, thanks for all the other information about the PDA requirements.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Caz
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi Tantanto, I dont see you as hostile ! I appreciate the feed back. ( and by the way, Im a sirette' Tantanto )

I will certainly ask the software developer for you as I dont know the answer to that question.

Majority of the Nissan Performance cars I work with here run over generous fuel maps....so being able to control that for us is a big deal!! Maxima's must have different needs , maybe their fuel maps arent so generous??? I would like to know.

The forums are a great facility for info exchange and you cant get better info than from people like yourselves that own and love these cars.

Kind Regards,

Caz..
That, sir, may have just lost you a lot of product support. One thing that is crucial with us is being able to extend the rev limit to take advantage of variable intakes and things of that nature. I don't mean to be hostile, I'm just telling you that rev limit extensions are pretty important to the 4th gen Maxima crowd.

Is there a possibility you could make this a function in the future?

Well, thanks for all the other information about the PDA requirements.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Caz
Hi Tantanto, I dont see you as hostile ! I appreciate the feed back. ( and by the way, Im a sirette' Tantanto )
Tantanto? I'm confused by all of this
Originally Posted by Caz
Kind Regards,

Caz..
Thanks for the answers, we hope to hear back about the rev limit issue.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Maxima.Org Bishes

Originally Posted by Caz
Hi Tatanko,
EcuXtend is only for PDA's, you cant run this system on a laptop. It is supported with Hewlett Packard iPAQ Pocket PC powered with Microsoft PocketPC 2002 or above with a processor speed of at least 200MHz. Models supported: rz1700 series, iPAQ 4100 series, hx 4700 series, rx 3000 series and pretty much any HP PDA newer.

The reason it is supported with HP PDA's is Hewlett Packard produce consistently high quality products with good warranties and they were also very helpful with technical information during the development of ecuXtend, knowing pinouts and electronic details was cruitial.

The PDA certainly doesnt need to be new or fancy, I run the basic HP rz1710, it was $249 new (AUD) and ecuxtend doesnt stop you using all the regular PDA functions. so it doesnt need to be expensive.

Caz..

Caz since Compaq and HP are the same Co. the old Compaq should work I believe Compaq has Win 2002 software on them. I fix IPAQ and troubleshoot them at my job, so we upgrade alot so I have alot of Compaq and HP IPAQ just collecting dust some have Main Battery issues which could be fix by buy a replacement kit on EBAY.

Caz a HP hx2110 and HP hx2200 should work too right???
Old 12-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by UNCDooD
not a rumor. JClaw found out that the Cefiro is in fact OBD-I.
I did but nobody seemed to give a ***.

http://f.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=444507
Old 12-18-2005, 04:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Caz
You have a dyno now
It was on a boosted car though... I have N/A-itus..remember.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Caz
Newbie - Just Registered

Caz a HP hx2110 and HP hx2200 should work too right???

I dont know the specs of those Chris???

Do they fit the criteria I posted earlier?

Cheers,

Caz...
Old 12-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Caz
Newbie - Just Registered

Tantanto? I'm confused by all of this

Thanks for the answers, we hope to hear back about the rev limit issue.
Must be a font transfer thing incorrectly spelling your nic.. My apologies Tatanko...It was about 2am when I posted that after a very full weekend racing and no sleep.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by Caz
You have a dyno now
Caz..
Not with a maxima. I'm sure it would react differently to a naturally aspirated maxima than it would to a twin turbo 300zx.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:54 AM
3.5 in the works

Caz, I will admit that I made my comments without taking a good look at your website's description of the program (I just replied quickly assuming it was similar to DataScan or ScanTech etc). I am not 100% convinced the XTend will work perfectly on the US A32 ECU but am willing to be proved wrong.

I have now looked at your site and would appreciate you clarifying and providing a few more technical details. (See my additional comments/questions below):

Originally Posted by Caz
After Chris contacted me I researched Nissans reason behind some of these US Maxima's carrying both the universal OBD11 and Nissans own DDL(which is what is often referred to as OBD1 for ease),there are some nissans that do have both the obd and the nissan DDL connector in the US as the US requirements for OBD came in 1997 so the DDL connector on these maxima's is a legacy thing. The OBD11 was added to the cars to meet US requirements. Nissans own DDL was left operative too. There is a cross over period around the change.

Majority of Nissan DDL equipped cars were pre 97 so that is why I say that this system is for pre 97 vehicles equipped with the grey DDL I picture. But if it has that DDL connector it should work just as a Nissan Consult will work if connected to it.
Just to clarify for those who may not know, OBD and DDL (aka Consult) are not exactly the same thing. OBD is a car-industry wide standard while DDL (diagnostic data link) is Nissan specific-protocol. Also, North American Maximas have been OBDII compliant since 95 as well as having the DDL interface. And all Nissans here seem to have had the DDL interface up to and including 99.

Originally Posted by Caz
Your comments regarding ecuXtend purely being a datalogger/scanner tool is incorrect. This is where this system stands apart from any other .. The software has the facility via 'macro's' to store various tunes. These are then used from the digital dash screen. The changes are not made to the prom, the software overrides the prom with the tunes you set and inhibits the self learn feature of the ecu.
So when you start the car, with ecuxtend on, you immediately have the tune the car was running when you last drove it unless you decide to select another macro or none at all in which case it will reactivate the self learn and return to pre ecuXtend values happily.
Your website does not give any specifics on how this is accomplished. Can you provide more details? How does the software override the prom? Is it essentially running it in active test mode perpetually? How is the self-learn feature inhibited? Does this mean the ECU is then running in open-loop continuously across all load and rpm points? Or is it simply reset to base values and held there, plus/minus the adjustments made by the user of course?

The picture shown on your website does not give the impression that a full map of fuel/timing vs load can be set. I only see 2 sliders to adjust base fuel and timing values (which would then apply across the whole map). Is this the case? Or can you define various adjustments at various points on the map?

If it is only the 2 base adjustsments, IMO this is a basic/rudimentary method of tuning and not adequate for someone who's serious about squeezing every ounce of power out of a car.

Originally Posted by Caz
Yesterday I raced my car in DragWarz at Western Sydney International Raceway and used ecuXtend to tune my car to see if the dyno result would actually mean anything substantial at the strip. I was extatic! I havent run better than a 13.93 all year and I ran a 13-41sec quarter mile (with leaky turbo manifold gaskets and all). A new PB and a top way to end the year. In drag racing that is a very substantial improvement.

If Nissan Consult works in your cars and Nissan DataScan with an ecu Interface cable works with your cars...then EcuXtend WILL TO.
While I believe your results with your car, I will need to see this actually work on a US A32 to be convinced. In principle the DDL interface does work for the most part on our cars, however not completely. For example I can connect with ScanTech to a 96 and a 98, but not all active tests or on/off registers etc work. Nissan seemed to change some of the addressing ranges in memory over the various years from 95 to 99 so even if the Xtend will connect to a 96, it may not connect to other years properly, and/or would have to be reprogrammed to access the correct memory ranges to get the features to work correctly.

Thanks for being willing to answer questions etc, I am not trying to be hostile here either, but please understand that those of us with a fair amount of knowledge and experience dealing with the A32 ECU (and its supporting sensors) have seen several tuning products that work on other cars fail to fully work on ours, not live up to promise, etc so we have become a bit skeptical.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Maxima.Org Bishes

Originally Posted by DandyMax
Caz, I will admit that I made my comments without taking a good look at your website's description of the program (I just replied quickly assuming it was similar to DataScan or ScanTech etc). I am not 100% convinced the XTend will work perfectly on the US A32 ECU but am willing to be proved wrong.

I have now looked at your site and would appreciate you clarifying and providing a few more technical details. (See my additional comments/questions below):

Just to clarify for those who may not know, OBD and DDL (aka Consult) are not exactly the same thing. OBD is a car-industry wide standard while DDL (diagnostic data link) is Nissan specific-protocol. Also, North American Maximas have been OBDII compliant since 95 as well as having the DDL interface. And all Nissans here seem to have had the DDL interface up to and including 99.

Your website does not give any specifics on how this is accomplished. Can you provide more details? How does the software override the prom? Is it essentially running it in active test mode perpetually? How is the self-learn feature inhibited? Does this mean the ECU is then running in open-loop continuously across all load and rpm points? Or is it simply reset to base values and held there, plus/minus the adjustments made by the user of course?

The picture shown on your website does not give the impression that a full map of fuel/timing vs load can be set. I only see 2 sliders to adjust base fuel and timing values (which would then apply across the whole map). Is this the case? Or can you define various adjustments at various points on the map?

If it is only the 2 base adjustsments, IMO this is a basic/rudimentary method of tuning and not adequate for someone who's serious about squeezing every ounce of power out of a car.

While I believe your results with your car, I will need to see this actually work on a US A32 to be convinced. In principle the DDL interface does work for the most part on our cars, however not completely. For example I can connect with ScanTech to a 96 and a 98, but not all active tests or on/off registers etc work. Nissan seemed to change some of the addressing ranges in memory over the various years from 95 to 99 so even if the Xtend will connect to a 96, it may not connect to other years properly, and/or would have to be reprogrammed to access the correct memory ranges to get the features to work correctly.

Thanks for being willing to answer questions etc, I am not trying to be hostile here either, but please understand that those of us with a fair amount of knowledge and experience dealing with the A32 ECU (and its supporting sensors) have seen several tuning products that work on other cars fail to fully work on ours, not live up to promise, etc so we have become a bit skeptical.

Good Questions Dandy I'm willing to test it out as soon has I come up with the cash and report back, but first keep the question coming I believe we are narrowing it down, I guess I will be the Guinea Pig one this