4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Remote keyless entry fixed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 07:22 PM

Remote keyless entry fixed.

I want to express my appreciation for the responses to some of the questions I had about my keyless entry not working, and especially to Dennismik for the information he sent me. I was able to determine the points I was supposed to have power and the places I was supposed to have ground and when. Everything checked out except the remote unit in the trunk. I went by a salvage yard today and asked if I could try a unit and see if it would program.
As soon as I hooked it up I was able to go thru the sequence and it worked. So, for $40 I was able to pick up the unit and some trim pieces that I needed.
It even rolls down the windows.
Randy
Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Thats what the .org is all about.. now you can share what you've learned with other's that need help.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:05 PM

may i ask what was wrong with it? my keyless entry does not respond and will not reprogram

i dunno whether it is the keyfob itself or the unit in the trunk that is bad

how can i test it?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by venturous
I want to express my appreciation for the responses to some of the questions I had about my keyless entry not working, and especially to Dennismik for the information he sent me. I was able to determine the points I was supposed to have power and the places I was supposed to have ground and when. Everything checked out except the remote unit in the trunk. I went by a salvage yard today and asked if I could try a unit and see if it would program.
As soon as I hooked it up I was able to go thru the sequence and it worked. So, for $40 I was able to pick up the unit and some trim pieces that I needed.
It even rolls down the windows.
Randy
You mentioned some "trim peices", what are the trim pieces? and the unit you are talking about is the thing that is in the right hand quarter in the trunk right?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:49 PM

I went by the Nissan dealer and they checked my keyfobs for free on a tester that they have. Yes, the remote unit is in the trunk near the jack. You need to pull the panel off to see it. Mine would start the reprogram process by blinking the flashers after about six key inserts. It just would not do anything when I pushed the lock button on the keyfob.
Try checking the plugin on the remote unit, both the big connector and the gray wire, which is the antenna and also make sure you have 12 volts on the pink wire. The pink wire is the fused wire from the battery and is always hot. If this checks out, try going by a salvage yard and ask them if you can see if a used unit will program. This salvage yard had two cars with the units still on them, but one car had the gray antenna wire removed. You can check the gray antenna wire to see if it is grounded, but you have to use a pin to the center hole in the terminal. If you check on the back side of the terminal you will show it grounded because that part of the terminal must be connected to the wire shielding. It only takes a second to plug it up to your car to check it and the salvage yard did not have any problem with me using it to check my system. They might want to mark theirs first if they do not know you. I just told them that I had checked the system and it appeared it was the remote unit and I would buy one if it would program.
On the trim piece, I bent the trim piece that is above the windshield and I needed the rubber bumper that is on the inside of the fender that centers the hood when you close it.
Another question is does your security system still work ok when you lock it manually? If it does not then I don't think the remote system will work. anyway.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:50 PM

I went by the Nissan dealer and they checked my keyfobs for free on a tester that they have. Yes, the remote unit is in the trunk near the jack. You need to pull the panel off to see it. Mine would start the reprogram process by blinking the flashers after about six key inserts. It just would not do anything when I pushed the lock button on the keyfob.
Try checking the plugin on the remote unit, both the big connector and the gray wire, which is the antenna and also make sure you have 12 volts on the pink wire. The pink wire is the fused wire from the battery and is always hot. If this checks out, try going by a salvage yard and ask them if you can see if a used unit will program. This salvage yard had two cars with the units still on them, but one car had the gray antenna wire removed. You can check the gray antenna wire to see if it is grounded, but you have to use a pin to the center hole in the terminal. If you check on the back side of the terminal you will show it grounded because that part of the terminal must be connected to the wire shielding. It only takes a second to plug it up to your car to check it and the salvage yard did not have any problem with me using it to check my system. They might want to mark theirs first if they do not know you. I just told them that I had checked the system and it appeared it was the remote unit and I would buy one if it would program.
On the trim piece, I bent the trim piece that is above the windshield and I needed the rubber bumper that is on the inside of the fender that centers the hood when you close it.
Another question is does your security system still work ok when you lock it manually? If it does not then I don't think the remote system will work. anyway.