4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 max... making noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 11:50 PM

i own 95 max with auto tranny and around 65k miles
recently i heard some grinding noises during the gear changes... and it gets louder whenever i turn on a/c...
what could be wrong with my car... any advices will be appreciated...

thanks
Old 06-12-2001, 06:30 AM

Dipstick tests

Originally posted by ptrkng
i own 95 max with auto tranny and around 65k miles
recently i heard some grinding noises during the gear changes... and it gets louder whenever i turn on a/c...
what could be wrong with my car... any advices will be appreciated...

thanks
There are several tests you can make with the fluid on the automatic transmission dipstick.

1) Level. It should be up to the full mark. If not, add as required.

2) Color. It should be bright red and translucent. A brown or black color is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat, and/or worn friction materials. A milky pink "Pepto Bismol" color is a sign of water contamination.

3) Odor. It should have a clean oily smell. A burned odor is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat.

4) Feel. Wipe the dipstick with your fingers and then rub your fingers together. It should be smooth and slippery. A "gritty" feeling is a sign of worn friction materials.

Sometimes the service life of a transmission can be extended by changing the fluid. Automatic transmission fluid is loaded with detergents, so new fluid can clean the insides of the transmission. If you decide to do this, find a shop that uses the Magic Sucker Pump which removes -all- of the old fluid. An ordinary drain-and-refill changes only about half of the fluid.
Old 06-12-2001, 07:36 AM

get it checked out soon

I have a manual 95 Se. I had strange vibrating noises that could be heard inside and outside the car. I thought it sounded like water running through pipes. didn't think it was much at first so i took my time getting it over to a mechanic. anyways not sure if it this is what is wrong with your car, but on my car it was the ac compressor. the ac compressor is connected to a pulley that is connected to other pulleys and the crank. My ac compressor froze and so the engine ripped the belts and the tweaked the pulleys that it was connect to. Some pretty expensive stuff to replace. Like I said I'm not sure what your car problem is but you should have it checked out. It could be as simple as needing your fluids checked out. But I would seriously consider getting a mechanic to look at it. After all, even though I love my maxima.....it's a nissan......Not a super reliable Honda or Toyota. Good luck.