4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Its been a while ! Post up your engine bay photos !

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:17 AM

This setup is not loud at all. When I had the HAI a year ago, before switching to stock, it was loud. I couldn't hear my exhaust much. With this CAI setup, I can still hear the exhaust but when I go WOT, it roars. Plus it doesn't have that annoying hissing sound at idle. I picked up my friend last night to see the boxing match, De LaJolla vs. Mallorga, and he was like...WOW! One thing significant that I have noticed is that the car seems to pull much harder now, especially from a cruising speed. Mash the gas pedal and it roars and hauls ***! I think it has something to do with the fact that: 1) it sits right behind the foglamp opening and 2) since I don't have the stock 95 foglamps anymore, the fog opening isn't blocked and therefore serving as some kind of wind scoop that directs cool air from below and into the air filter.

When I was thinking of how the pipe is to be made, I looked at how Cattman has theirs. Their pipe positions the air filter vertically down below. I made mine so that the filter sits on a slant therefore allowing more air to enter and pass thru the entire filter. I also had a piece of metal welded onto the side of the intake pipe to act as a mounting bracket. You might wonder why I left the stock intake resonator in. I did that to cut down on the noise that would have been present had I used an aftermarket-midpipe. Secondly, many CAI users have noticed that at the top end, the engine seems to run out of breath. The stock intake resonator acts as an air buffer and also cuts down on air turbulence. I think there's more to gain in keeping the stock intake resonator versus replacing it with a midpipe.

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
Nice setup! Especially the location of the air filter, how is it so far?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by DR-Max
This setup is not loud at all. When I had the HAI a year ago, before switching to stock, it was loud. I couldn't hear my exhaust much. With this CAI setup, I can still hear the exhaust but when I go WOT, it roars. Plus it doesn't have that annoying hissing sound at idle. I picked up my friend last night to see the boxing match, De LaJolla vs. Mallorga, and he was like...WOW! One thing significant that I have noticed is that the car seems to pull much harder now, especially from a cruising speed. Mash the gas pedal and it roars and hauls ***! I think it has something to do with the fact that: 1) it sits right behind the foglamp opening and 2) since I don't have the stock 95 foglamps anymore, the fog opening isn't blocked and therefore serving as some kind of wind scoop that directs cool air from below and into the air filter.

When I was thinking of how the pipe is to be made, I looked at how Cattman has theirs. Their pipe positions the air filter vertically down below. I made mine so that the filter sits on a slant therefore allowing more air to enter and pass thru the entire filter. I also had a piece of metal welded onto the side of the intake pipe to act as a mounting bracket. You might wonder why I left the stock intake resonator in. I did that to cut down on the noise that would have been present had I used an aftermarket-midpipe. Secondly, many CAI users have noticed that at the top end, the engine seems to run out of breath. The stock intake resonator acts as an air buffer and also cuts down on air turbulence. I think there's more to gain in keeping the stock intake resonator versus replacing it with a midpipe.

So with that filter sitting right in that opening, your not worried about it becoming saturated with moisture from rain while driving?
I know there was on old Org member who had a setup similiar to yours and he hydrolocked the motor after driving in the rain.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=249479
http://www.nissanforums.com/dallas-n...a-ha-pics.html
Old 05-07-2006, 09:10 AM

That guy is also boosted, and with a vacumm pressure coming from his turbo his chances of hydrolocking is higher. I am not saying that it can't happen to me but I don't have a turbo or s/c that is hungry for air. One thing I also would like to point out is that the air filter sits about 6" behind the fog lamp opening and the splash guard is there to protect the filter as well. I should have taken a pic from the bottom of the car when it was still on lifts. It is well protected inside. Of course, everything is not air tight so driving over 6" of water is out of the question. I am waiting for my bypass valve to come in so once that is installed, the chances of hydrolocking will be eliminated. Seems like Los Angeles won't be seeing heavy rains for a while.

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
So with that filter sitting right in that opening, your not worried about it becoming saturated with moisture from rain while driving?
I know there was on old Org member who had a setup similiar to yours and he hydrolocked the motor after driving in the rain.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=249479
http://www.nissanforums.com/dallas-n...a-ha-pics.html
Old 05-07-2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
350Z engine swap
Hey man -
Did you run the 13.8 after you swapped to the Z/G intake manifold? Still no headers, or tune, right?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Droppin logs

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
Hey man -
Did you run the 13.8 after you swapped to the Z/G intake manifold? Still no headers, or tune, right?
You can see the headers in that pic...
Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Boosted Panda

That guy is also boosted, and with a vacumm pressure coming from his turbo his chances of hydrolocking is higher. I am not saying that it can't happen to me but I don't have a turbo or s/c that is hungry for air. One thing I also would like to point out is that the air filter sits about 6" behind the fog lamp opening and the splash guard is there to protect the filter as well. I should have taken a pic from the bottom of the car when it was still on lifts. It is well protected inside. Of course, everything is not air tight so driving over 6" of water is out of the question. I am waiting for my bypass valve to come in so once that is installed, the chances of hydrolocking will be eliminated. Seems like Los Angeles won't be seeing heavy rains for a while.

He was S/C when that happened. depending on his speed, he may not have even been boosting. The SC doesnt really start boosting untill 3.5-4k.
I agree though boosted cars pull in more air, but NA or FI id be leary of putting a filter there without that bypass valve. Only bad thing about the bypass valve is it robs you of some power, according to the AEM site. Some say its 1 hp other say 2-3. But a slight HP loss is worth not killing the motor.
Now if running the filter down low with the bypass valve kills 1-3 hp, I wonder if it is really worth it to run it down low to begin with?
I guess it would be helpfull to see what type of gains are given with it being there. Im sure once the car is moving, it is more efficiant but Im wondering if the same gains could be obtained by just routing some piping from the foglight opening to the filter area in the engine bay, a ram air type. I know some members have done it, it would be interesting to see a dyno comparison.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:36 AM

I had that prior to this setup. I routed a 2" heater hose from behind the fog lamp opening up to the airbox. Because of the nature of the airbox, the largest opening I can make is 2", thus the 2" tubing. The engine seemed to have perform better with this setup compared to the HAI. Just the simple fact that the intake isn't pulling hot air from the engine is good enough for me. I'm not looking for a big power gain, but I wanted to see/hear the difference between that and the new CAI setup. I like it so far. I'm getting a y-pipe next so I should see some good gains.

Im wondering if the same gains could be obtained by just routing some piping from the foglight opening to the filter area in the engine bay, a ram air type. I know some members have done it, it would be interesting to see a dyno comparison.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:44 AM
VIP Maxima

DR-Max's setup is sweet for anyone with fog lamp opening. it beats my injen for sure. i am still gonna go short ram tho

Old 05-07-2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by D-Bo
You can see the headers in that pic...
Ahh, you're right. I wasn't looking too hard at that since I remembered him NOT having headers to begin with. I didn't realize he got them. But still no tune, correct?
Old 05-07-2006, 12:54 PM

Does it have to be in the engine bay
Not the best pics, but heres mine...
Daaamn flavor, I didnt know you went Boost! How do you like???
Originally Posted by TJ_Max
Nice, but why is it that you swap guys never get that engine cover on there? That's the best part!
Seriously!
Originally Posted by Dubbya
I just have an order of operations, SMT6, . . .

*cough* *cough*PMKevlohehasoneforsale **cough*
Old 05-07-2006, 12:59 PM
maxS

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
350Z engine swap
looks messy especially the wiring

Old 05-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey I got one out of the car as well 8,500 mile DE-K

Heres my engine again. Will look different in a bit
Old 05-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Daaamn flavor, I didnt know you went Boost! How do you like???

I like it alot, the car really moves now.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:10 PM

glad to hear that i was thinking about cutting out mine FOR airflow to my PR cai. im gonna do it after hearing that it makes a difference.