4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trans making noise when your foot is OFF the clutch? It's the input shaft bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Maintenance Monster

I think you're mixed up. The input shaft seal can't be changed without removing and disassembling the tranny.

The axle seals at the differential can be changed, and there is an 'inside' and 'outside' seal. (Driver-side and Passenger-side actually).

If there is play in any of the bearings that means it's pretty badly worn. The diff bearings will in many cases roll smoothly, but the fact that enough metal is worn off to show play means they can't carry load like properly tightened ones. Just that little bit of looseness greatly weakens the gears and rapidly increases the rate of wear.

Dave
Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
I think you're mixed up. The input shaft seal can't be changed without removing and disassembling the tranny.

The axle seals at the differential can be changed, and there is an 'inside' and 'outside' seal. (Driver-side and Passenger-side actually).

If there is play in any of the bearings that means it's pretty badly worn. The diff bearings will in many cases roll smoothly, but the fact that enough metal is worn off to show play means they can't carry load like properly tightened ones. Just that little bit of looseness greatly weakens the gears and rapidly increases the rate of wear.

Dave
Yeah he changed the outside seal. The outside bearing shouldn't be a big deal to replace right? Or is doing this just getting me nowhere because the input shaft is my first problem?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 PM

there is no outside bearing, you have to pull your tranny apart to install new diff. bearings. $225 labor + parts & shipping to 02346, if your cheap your looking at $250 for all 6 bearings and seals aftermarket.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:31 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Poowill
Yeah he changed the outside seal. The outside bearing shouldn't be a big deal to replace right? Or is doing this just getting me nowhere because the input shaft is my first problem?
All the bearings are a big deal to replace - you have to pull the tranny, separate it, and do a basic tranny rebuild. Never agree to go through all that without replacing all of the bearings. If it's a dealer and they don't want to do more than one or two bearings, it's because they are afraid and inexperienced - you should take it to a real tranny shop.

If the seal was leaking and the mechanic noticed any play where the axle enters the tranny then it will begin leaking again (if it's not already). All the while, your tranny is filling with metal dust that is wearing away your gears and damaged all the other bearings. I'll bet your input shaft bearings are making noise because the worn bits of diff bearing have ruined them.

Some things on a car you can band-aid and it will last a lot longer. Not transmission bearings, not on this car.

Dave
Old 10-05-2006, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
All the bearings are a big deal to replace - you have to pull the tranny, separate it, and do a basic tranny rebuild. Never agree to go through all that without replacing all of the bearings. If it's a dealer and they don't want to do more than one or two bearings, it's because they are afraid and inexperienced - you should take it to a real tranny shop.

If the seal was leaking and the mechanic noticed any play where the axle enters the tranny then it will begin leaking again (if it's not already). All the while, your tranny is filling with metal dust that is wearing away your gears and damaged all the other bearings. I'll bet your input shaft bearings are making noise because the worn bits of diff bearing have ruined them.

Some things on a car you can band-aid and it will last a lot longer. Not transmission bearings, not on this car.

Dave
Thanks Dave for the help, i know exactly what you're saying. Appreciate your help as i am not knowledgable with this kinda stuff. Looks like i'm going to look at a tranny rebuild this winter.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
The one switch performs both functions. Be prepared for all of your oil to gush out in 5 seconds when you remove it.
Do you have a part number? I've searched the catalogs and I find a "neutral switch" and a "back up switch" for the 5spd but the catalog search doesn't show part numbers and they are different prices around $13 for the neutral switch and around $18 for the "back up switch".

Also anybody know the shifter bushing part numbers?