4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No, the oil pressure switch won't cause a fuel smell. Get it fixed asap, and by a different mechanic. My geuss is that the fuel lines were damaged when the rack was replaced, they run right near it, so I would bring it back to that place right away, unless of course he's the duesch who said it was the oil-pressure switch, then I'd bring it elsewhere, fuel leak is a major safety issue.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:23 PM

How hard would it be to replace the low pressure line on the ac
Old 02-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can i Change My engine From 3.0 to 3.5 for altima or maxima ?

and what i need if i can ?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Source

Yes you can swap the VQ30 for the VQ35. go to the all motor section down the front page to get all the info you need. also go here for the write up.
http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=19270
Old 02-27-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Source

Not an easy task at all...look at this:
http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=19270
Old 02-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ventilation

Hi Guys,

Sorry for posting my message here . I'm from Australia and am not able to create a new thread for administrative reasons, I gather.

I have a late 1997 Maxima (Generation 4) and it has done 190K. I love this car very much.

Just a small problem, my air vent does not seem to be working as powerfully as it used to. On setting 2 or 3 it used to create a “whirlwind” inside the care. Now even on the highest setting the flow of air inside the car is very poor. The car starts feeling stuffy on even cooler days (like 28 degrees C) NB: I am NOT using air-conditioning here.

I cannot run the air-conditioning for too long because the temperature gauge starts getting really up towards the danger zone. I have had the radiator flushed twice and it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Therefore I avoid using air-condition where possible.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil
Old 02-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by NileshP
Hi Guys,

Sorry for posting my message here . I'm from Australia and am not able to create a new thread for administrative reasons, I gather.

I have a late 1997 Maxima (Generation 4) and it has done 190K. I love this car very much.

Just a small problem, my air vent does not seem to be working as powerfully as it used to. On setting 2 or 3 it used to create a “whirlwind” inside the care. Now even on the highest setting the flow of air inside the car is very poor. The car starts feeling stuffy on even cooler days (like 28 degrees C) NB: I am NOT using air-conditioning here.

I cannot run the air-conditioning for too long because the temperature gauge starts getting really up towards the danger zone. I have had the radiator flushed twice and it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Therefore I avoid using air-condition where possible.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil
Moved.....
Old 02-27-2007, 06:36 PM

hacked airbox need pics

Hey since i can't post new threads... can anybody find me some pics on how to do that Hax'd Airbox mod? something about the resonator under the battery? and removing the air scoop at the front above the rad? if somebody can hook me up with some pics that would be great, i found write-ups but they arn't anygood with out pics... every one i found that has pics they don't work

98 max gle
Old 02-28-2007, 05:27 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by maximacruizer
Hey since i can't post new threads... can anybody find me some pics on how to do that Hax'd Airbox mod? something about the resonator under the battery? and removing the air scoop at the front above the rad? if somebody can hook me up with some pics that would be great, i found write-ups but they arn't anygood with out pics... every one i found that has pics they don't work

98 max gle
RIGHT in the FAQ/Sticky...

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...0&postcount=45
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=50
Old 02-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Karong
I got my Maxima like 3 weeks ago. I know its a good car but its given me more trouble than I thought. First I replaced the strut mounts $200, not a big deal. Then I had to get the whole rack and pinion replaced because it was leaking, that was $450 parts and labor. The day after i get that done i started smelling fumes in the car when I start it. The first 10 mins of starting the car the whole car smells like gasoline. after i drive for a while it goes away. I took it to get it checked, one guy told me its my oil pressure switch is leaking and its going into the muffler which is causing the smell. I took it someplace else and he said its more than that. He's saying its something in the engine and he has to move some parts around to see it which is going to cost about $300. My question is would the oil pressure switch cause the fumes in the car and second is all this work worth it? Im considering selling it and getting something else
No, the oil pressure switch won't cause a fuel smell. Get it fixed asap, and by a different mechanic. My geuss is that the fuel lines were damaged when the rack was replaced, they run right near it, so I would bring it back to that place right away, unless of course he's the duesch who said it was the oil-pressure switch, then I'd bring it elsewhere, fuel leak is a major safety issue.

Yeah i did some reading up and most likely one of the fuel injectors was either knocked loose or maybe leaking. My mechanic said he has to removed the manifold to check that which is going to cost $250 in labor alone. I was wondering if i should just take it to a nissan dealership to get it fixed. Would that be cheaper or more expensive? even if it is more expensive at least i know it will be done right.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:13 PM

NONE of the pictures work tho so its useless
Old 02-28-2007, 08:56 PM

my max has a weird problem. when the lights are off the, right headlamp sometimes turns on, high beam only. i tried changing relays with another relay in the box but no luck. help
Old 02-28-2007, 10:05 PM

my maxi is having a problem. the niddle on the rpm gauge goes from 700 to 600, and sometimes the radio gets shutdown, when I turn on the lights, the car shuts off. this started to happen a week ago, my last mod was months ago...help please
Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 PM

ok..."I'm a noob and have a question".... Any idea's on why my Speedo is irradic??? It bounces around like a drunken schoolgirl at prom... But!!! it has an art to it. It the engine is under load it works normally but when I let up on the gas or the tranny shifts the Speedo drops to zero or in between the speed i'm going and zero. Plus I have a code for the speed sensor reading zero at times but it's not the speed sensor or the cluster because both have been replaced already... Last thing left is the ECU RIGHT??? Please help guys... not only is the CEL on but the tranny shifts wierd and gas mileage is affected because of this... PLUS i got a damn ticket from officer friendly for 20 over (50 in a 30)(But that wasn't because of the problem...oops) Please HELP guys... Thanks for any replies...
Old 03-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by maximacruizer
NONE of the pictures work tho so its useless
Well, I'll tell you what...those posts do a pretty good job of describing what you should be doing or looking at. Additionally, the people who wrote them were smart enough to figure them out. Can you not READ what they say, then look under your hood and figure out what they were talking about?

I have not owned a 4th gen since october 2004 and I could STILL walk someone through this over the phone- and I never even DID one of those procedures.

The most restrictive part of our intake is the scoop. Open up the resonator box under the battery (on 97 - 99 models) and you have another source of cooler air to enter the intake when the car isn't moving. When your car is moving, the scoop should ram some air into the intake system. Removal of that box for modification, combined with drilling a few large holes in the back of it right where it butts up against the inner fender well, and reinstallation can provide a source of increased airflow- and that air should theoretically be cooler than it would be w/ a 100% stock setup.. There's cool air down there where the modifications will be. Most of the piping on our intake is big enough to flow a good amount of air into the throttle body- the key is to get more air in in the first place. The scoop is to narrow to allow that same amount of flow. Giving another source of air intake to the stock piping allows the car's stock intake to breathe better.
Look under your hood. Is it really that difficult to figure out what it is telling you to do?

And how hard is it to follow the instructions "Drill holes in your lower airbox to increase airflow?" I don't think that it could possibly be more clear. Take a drill, put a drill bit in it, drill holes, prosper.

It's not rocket science.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by JPMax
Ask for any maintenance records. tuneups, brakes, transmission flush, coolant flush, AC checkups, suspension replacements, exhaust work, etc.

A car with that many miles should have had a lot of regular work done to it.
If everything is still stock, I'd be a little worried.
Look for any signs of major rust too, especially on the lower radiator support beam (you can see it through the lower front grill opening).
Thank you for the help.

I was able to pick up the 95 SE for $2150...

It's running decent, but I'll get to work on some things that aren't quite "great" very soon.

Good thing is that there isn't anything beyond shadetree mechanic stuff to do.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:23 PM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by cditto
Thank you for the help.

I was able to pick up the 95 SE for $2150...

It's running decent, but I'll get to work on some things that aren't quite "great" very soon.

Good thing is that there isn't anything beyond shadetree mechanic stuff to do.
Cool. Welcome to the Org.
BTW, if you have the letters DJ2 in your VIN# then the color is called Black Emerald. Same as mine Enjoy.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by JPMax
Cool. Welcome to the Org.
BTW, if you have the letters DJ2 in your VIN# then the color is called Black Emerald. Same as mine Enjoy.

Thanks! It is indeed! (time to update my profile)
Old 03-02-2007, 10:00 PM

Hello all. A big thanks to whoever started this thread, as I haven't managed my 15 posts yet, but need some help.

I have a '93 Maxima which I got a couple of months ago for free. I originally got it because the previous owner couldn't get it running. The problem was some spark plug wires in the wrong places, two that weren't really connected, and a bunch of WD40 that had been sprayed inside the distributor cap. I fixed that stuff up in about 15 minutes, and drove the car away.

I've had it for about two months now, with few problems. A couple nights ago, I was driving the car, and it shut off on me. I had been driving for about a half an hour or so. It didn't stumble, or hesitate, the engine just turned off. All lights and stuff were still working. I shifted into park to try to restart it. Everything lights up, but it didn't crank, and there was no click from the solenoid. I tried arming and disarming the alarm system (viper 550), and tried the remote start function. Everything seems to do exactly what it's supposed to, but it doesn't crank over. I pushed it out of the road, and wound up leaving it for the night.

The next morning, my mechanic towed it back to his shop. He looked it over, and seems to think that the problem has to be my alarm system. I know that is a possibility, but I'm wondering if there is something much more simple that he's missing. All of the electronics seem to work, but apparently there is no power to the ecu, and it won't crank. Is there a relay that he should be looking at first?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:22 PM

Hate bein a newbie, had an altima for years but it got totalled. Just got a 98 maxima from family who can no longer drive. Only 28k miles garage kept runs great, but I am noticing problems with radio reception. Antenna seems to be going up smoothly and at the right times. This occured with the stock NON bose radio, just put in a pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit and the problem still is occuring. I thought perhaps my portable radio from work (police) could somehow be distorting it, but I dont believe this to be the case. Any opinions or easy ways to determine the root of the problem?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Notahondaowner
Hate bein a newbie, had an altima for years but it got totalled. Just got a 98 maxima from family who can no longer drive. Only 28k miles garage kept runs great, but I am noticing problems with radio reception. Antenna seems to be going up smoothly and at the right times. This occured with the stock NON bose radio, just put in a pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit and the problem still is occuring. I thought perhaps my portable radio from work (police) could somehow be distorting it, but I dont believe this to be the case. Any opinions or easy ways to determine the root of the problem?
Seems like a wiring issue between the antenna and the hu. It it didn't change with the new hu it has to be the antenna or the wiring. Try to change the antenna and see if that helps. If not then it's the wiring.

Tquick, you should be in the 3rd gen forum. This is for 95-99 maxs. 3rd gen forum is where you want to be with your 93.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:50 PM

98, but thanks the suggestion i guess ill have to start pokin around thereabouts tomorrow, will advise
Old 03-03-2007, 03:14 PM

new question, just bought 2 x 12 inch sony subs, rockford fosgate amp need to find a good write up on how to run and do the wiring. not being able to search the forums limits the **** out of me. my first big prob would be finding the hole in the engine compartment to run the wires from the battery into the passenger area
Old 03-03-2007, 03:23 PM

new question, just bought 2 x 12 inch sony subs, rockford fosgate amp need to find a good write up on how to run and do the wiring. not being able to search the forums limits the **** out of me. my first big prob would be finding the hole in the engine compartment to run the wires from the battery into the passenger area

im not sure about doing it on the passenger side.. but there is a spot on the driver side where you can drill a hole through.. thats all i did for the power wire
Old 03-03-2007, 04:31 PM

figured thats what i might have to do, whereabouts did you drill the hole
Old 03-03-2007, 04:45 PM

figured thats what i might have to do, whereabouts did you drill the hole
its dark out so i used a flashlight and my cell phone but u get the idea

From outside

from inside
Old 03-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Nice thanks a lot for the pic really helps, as much as i want to install it tonight for once i think ill hold off for daylight and do it the right way

will advise
Old 03-03-2007, 04:53 PM

Nice thanks a lot for the pic really helps, as much as i want to install it tonight for once i think ill hold off for daylight and do it the right way

will advise
You will need a powerful drill and a good bit to get through it tho.. start with a small bit first to drill a pilot hole or else it will keep slippin.. and if you using 4awg wire you need a big bit at that lol...

i used that hole for my aftermarket fog light wires aswell! its helpful
Old 03-03-2007, 08:48 PM

will advise
There is a stock hole near there that runs into the passanger comparment inside the fender on the driver side. It is behind the strut tower on the wall. It already has a rubber sealant and no need for drilling.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:03 PM

Y not just remove the airbox and throw a cone on it?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

License plate lights?

I really need to know where the license plate lights are, can someone please help?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by tbones
newbie here...I recently bought a 97 SE with 120k, just wondering if our cars have a timing belt or chain and at what mileage should I think about replacing it. Reason I ask is because I heard this weird sound when I was warming her up last night hard to describe it though, It sounded like a loose timing belt to me, anyways any info about timing belts and maintenance would be helpful at this time...thanks
All of your questions are answered above in the stickies. Mandatory read for a newb in here.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by pearlwhitey33
I really need to know where the license plate lights are, can someone please help?
The front doesnt have one IIRC and the rear on is right above the license plate.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Ridin' Spinnaz

Here's an interesting one..

I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima GXE. Whenever I'm holding down all four window switches and the sunroof switch at the same time (to open all windows and the sunroof simultaneously), I hear a clicking noise in the dash somewhere and none of the windows/sunroof continue to roll up or down. After about 2 seconds, I hear the same clicking noise and everything works again.

I don't have the problem if I roll only 2 windows up or down at the same time, but if I try to do everything at once, it seems to overload everything. It gets kinda annoying...I live in Florida and must open all the windows/sunroof every time I get in the car to get the heat out!

Any thoughts? Thanks!!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:05 AM
Maintenance Monster

Use your keyfob to open the front windows before you get in. Just hold the unlock button for a couple seconds.

Dave
Old 03-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

NOTE: This thread is winding to a close. Effective Fri, March 9, 2007, this thread will be locked!

HOWEVER, I WILL be opening a NEW thread. This one has gotten too long to monitor easily.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:26 PM

Are there any Apexi sound clips out there?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need Help -- 1997 Max. -- Car Shakes intermittently

Question for everybody... I have a 97 maxima GLE and it just started to shake intermittently when I drive. The biggest shaking occurrs around 50-60mph but the car does shake at lower speeds. The shaking lasts for a few minutes and then goes away and usually starts shaking slowly after I start the car.

Its not the alignment for when the car is shaking I can let go of the steering wheel and the car still goes straight. I dont think its my transmission for when the car is shaking I can still accelerate as normal. What i did notice is that when the car is shaking, I try to hit the brakes and its as if all i have to do is tap on the brake pedal to slow the car down whereas when the car is not shaking I would have to depress the brake pedal somewhat.

If anybody has any ideas on what the problem might be please do respond.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Maintenance Monster

I'm guessing a combination of a "warped" brake rotor and sticking brake caliper.

Dave
Old 03-09-2007, 05:34 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by bpk01
Are there any Apexi sound clips out there?
All of the clips that we have are here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=430498

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...