4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 AM

cv boot, the boot right on the other side of the rotor
Old 03-28-2007, 04:52 AM

I have been reading and looking at exhausts, but Im wondering sense the pacesetter exhaust is 2.25 and the sticky said to get a 2.5 if the .25 that the pacesetter doesnt have is going to make a difference? thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 08:28 AM

how to replace vent valve & cansiter

i tried a couple of searches & checked the stickies. sorry if it was there & i missed it. code P0440 is showing up & i was told by the dealer that i need to replace the vent valve & canister. well i'm trying to avoid having to go back to the dealership so i was wondering if this is simple enough to do on my own? i'm trying to find a "how to" on it but i'm not having any luck. & do i have to get these parts through the dealer?
thanks for any help.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:52 AM

96 to 97 taillight conversion

i was just wondering if it is possible to take out my 1996 tail lights and swap them with 1997 tail lights, they seem to be the same design,but i dont want to waste money on them and find out they wont fit.i like the look of the 97 much better. if i asked this question and its in a FAQ, let me know where, thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by allblackmax96
i was just wondering if it is possible to take out my 1996 tail lights and swap them with 1997 tail lights, they seem to be the same design,but i dont want to waste money on them and find out they wont fit.i like the look of the 97 much better. if i asked this question and its in a FAQ, let me know where, thanks
They will fit but the lines that run horizontally down the center do not line up.

This is covered in the Sticky threads.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by nicki
i tried a couple of searches & checked the stickies. sorry if it was there & i missed it. code P0440 is showing up & i was told by the dealer that i need to replace the vent valve & canister. well i'm trying to avoid having to go back to the dealership so i was wondering if this is simple enough to do on my own? i'm trying to find a "how to" on it but i'm not having any luck. & do i have to get these parts through the dealer?
thanks for any help.
It is easy to do, and you pretty much have to get them through the dealer. Try ordering them online, though, because local dealer prices are often higher than the prices that you will see through dealerships that do online sales.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by bigwee
I have been reading and looking at exhausts, but Im wondering since the pacesetter exhaust is 2.25 but the sticky said to get a 2.5. Does the .25 smaller diameter of the pacesetter make a difference? thanks
Yes, but not a difference that you will feel or notice. 2.25" will be fine.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1999 Maxima

I wanted to ask about the location of the fuses for a 1999 Nissan Maxima. I found the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side. Is there another fuse box on the passenger side? According to my owner's manual, there is, but I can't find it.
My rear lights are not working at all, when I turn my lights on, but my brake lights work fine. Does this sound like a blown fuse?
Thank you.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by 1999maxima
I wanted to ask about the location of the fuses for a 1999 Nissan Maxima. I found the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side. Is there another fuse box on the passenger side? According to my owner's manual, there is, but I can't find it.
My rear lights are not working at all, when I turn my lights on, but my brake lights work fine. Does this sound like a blown fuse?
Thank you.
Did you check the fuses under the dash? I cannot remember what fuses and relays are where. Do your headlights work? Are ALL of your rear lights out (turn, rear running lights)?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Did you check the fuses under the dash? I cannot remember what fuses and relays are where. Do your headlights work? Are ALL of your rear lights out (turn, rear running lights)?
Here's a little more information on the light situation on my car. My driver's side front turn signal assembly is completely out (I was in an accident and it ended up breaking off at the wires). Up until that point, I wasn't having any problems with any of my lights. However, after that, none of my turn signals work.
That was about a month ago. I'm not sure if that's when all my tail lights stopped working or not. I just noticed the tail light problem. None of my tail lights come on at all when I turn on my headlights. But my brake lights work when I step on the brake pedal.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 1999maxima
Here's a little more information on the light situation on my car. My driver's side front turn signal assembly is completely out (I was in an accident and it ended up breaking off at the wires). Up until that point, I wasn't having any problems with any of my lights. However, after that, none of my turn signals work.
That was about a month ago. I'm not sure if that's when all my tail lights stopped working or not. I just noticed the tail light problem. None of my tail lights come on at all when I turn on my headlights. But my brake lights work when I step on the brake pedal.
Check your corner light fuses. They are in the engine bay in the fuse box lateral to the battery.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Yes, but not a difference that you will feel or notice. 2.25" will be fine.
What about the pacesetter catback and the obx header and y-pipe. I know you said that the pacesetter was goin to be fine but since the obx y pipe is only 2 1/16" is that goin to be to small of a exhaust system? Or would this be good for low end torque? That is really what I want in this car.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bigwee
What about the pacesetter catback and the obx header and y-pipe. I know you said that the pacesetter was goin to be fine but since the obx y pipe is only 2 1/16" is that goin to be to small of a exhaust system? Or would this be good for low end torque? That is really what I want in this car.
Get a warpspeed Y and B pipe to a stock muffler. 25 ponies to the wheels is amazing and will only cost like 360 for both.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mazzivart
Get a warpspeed Y and B pipe to a stock muffler. 25 ponies to the wheels is amazing and will only cost like 360 for both.
Think it's more like 18 than 25 but the premise is the same.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Think it's more like 18 than 25 but the premise is the same.
Ya i thought that might sound alittle high. But for $360? I was seeing that the y pipe was $199. I havent found a b pipe. I thought of doing the whole exhaust anyway but maybe a megan catback and a warpspeed y pipe. I still have some time.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:47 PM

carbon fiber trunk

ok so i get that i have to get a new trunk if i want the 97 tail-lights, at the moment i have a spoiler(which i like,but am willing to part with) on my trunk and the bass from the sub poped off the stock clips(on the outside) for the spoiler and it doesnt sound good, does anybody know where i can get a carbon fiber trunk for a 97 that would fit on my 1996? also I'm looking into getting a catback exhaust thats not rediculously loud but sounds aggresive and performs the best, any sugestions?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 PM

Is a small oil leak coming from the timing cover a common problem with the A32?

I was told it was a 16 hour job to reseal the timing cover, is that a reasonable amount of time? Is there an easier way to fix this type of leak?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:30 PM

Few questions

I tried to search this but couldn't find it for the love of God.
Which UDP is the best??? Any probles after installing (stalling, etc.)
Does a B pipe adds any more horses after adding a y pipe?
Thanks guys....
Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 AM

OD LIGHT blinking

so i checked the stickies to see why my OD light is blinking & it seems to be the Overrun Solenoid Circuit is shorted or disconnected.
well i had pretty much the same code come up with the engine light. and i just had the transmission rebuilt because the solenoids were bad due to the torque converter. my question is why is my OD light still blinking & saying there is a problem if it was supposedly fixed? any idea??
thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 12:07 PM

Exaust hanger ?

I hit a big hunk of ice during the Valentine's Day storm that closed N.E. Pa down last month. It broke the hanger on the exaust system that holds supports the front of the cat. Can a shop repair this or will I have to get a new hanger from a dealer. Who have you folks found to have the best prices if I need to buy a new one? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 PM

is it the actual metal mount u broke or the rubber connector ?

if its the rubber connector then go to dealer and spend a few bucks im sure its cheap, if its the mount itself tho then go to a shop and get a piece of metal welded on there and be happy
Old 03-31-2007, 12:36 PM

Exaust hanger ?

The metal is broken. It lookslike the rubber brackets are good but the metal part is just hanging on both sides of the cat.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:16 PM

ok get it welded then, should cost less than 100 im sure
Old 03-31-2007, 01:23 PM

get a new hanger from a dealer or buy my used one. whatever you do, dont wait too long. make sure your flex section isnt bad first. have someone rev it to check for a leak since it wont really show up at idle.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Goran
I tried to search this but couldn't find it for the love of God.
Which UDP is the best??? Any probles after installing (stalling, etc.)
Does a B pipe adds any more horses after adding a y pipe?
Thanks guys....
They are all the same. They all add the same power, if any. A b-pipe might add 1-2 hp but nothing noticeable after the y.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by johnt671
I hit a big hunk of ice during the Valentine's Day storm that closed N.E. Pa down last month. It broke the hanger on the exaust system that holds supports the front of the cat. Can a shop repair this or will I have to get a new hanger from a dealer. Who have you folks found to have the best prices if I need to buy a new one? Thanks.
I bought a new bracket for mine, I think it was around $35 for the cat bracket. Unfortunately the bolts that hold it to the cat and the car are ridiculously rusted. So buy some new hardware.

I buy my Nissan parts from www.worldpartsexpress.com. They are good and very well priced.

Dave
Old 04-01-2007, 05:47 PM

I can't even search lol, wow must of had a lot of spammers on this site

my question:

I have some surface rust, is it worth fixing myself or pay a professional to do it???
Old 04-01-2007, 05:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

It's actually half that.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:00 PM

ok sorry i have more questions, i acutally have like 20 questions to do with my car but I don't wanna flood with questions

ok I bought new head lights for my car, installed them easy, but then I decided to buy other headlights for the smaller head lights, but I can't get them in because I can't even take out the old one or even get into it to take them out. Is there an easy way to do this?

I'd search for this but it won't let me
Old 04-01-2007, 06:07 PM

another question, I searched the owners manual for it but couldn't find an answer..

my steering fluid is blow the line that says (HOT) and it also says (COOL) on the same level. I've never seen it up to that line, does that mean I should add more steering fluid? In the winter some days, steering was a little bit tough when I first started, but went away in like 30 seconds.

ok sorry this was in the wrong section, I just found out there is a maintence section for questions like this.

What is the cold line is on the same line as the hot?? do you still fill up to that line??
Old 04-01-2007, 06:15 PM

nice. only 5 more posts and you will have made it!! hopefully no one else will notice what you are trying to do.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by Sam_4
ok sorry i have more questions, i acutally have like 20 questions to do with my car but I don't wanna flood with questions

ok I bought new head lights for my car, installed them easy, but then I decided to buy other headlights for the smaller head lights, but I can't get them in because I can't even take out the old one or even get into it to take them out. Is there an easy way to do this?

I'd search for this but it won't let me
Nice to see some people excited about working on their car.

Are you talking about the parking lights next to the headlights or the foglights below the bumper?

The parking lights are fairly easy. There's one screw on top and then there's a little ball socket thing holding it in back. It can be hard to get it off the first time. An easy way is to use a flat head screwdriver to pry it out. You'll need to pull on the lense as far out as you can and the look down the back of it. You should see where it's being held on. Just slide the screwdriver in and give it a twist to pop it out.

Not sure on the fog light procedure as I don't have the stock ones.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:53 AM

Has anyone had a low brake peddle? Pads are good, calipers are good & brakes have been bled completely starting from the furthest to the closest so that there's new fluid throughout. It's been awhile that the peddle is low, I had a sticky front caliper, changed it, new pads & discs up front, bled brakes as stated, no change. Seized caliper in rear & the hand brake not working properly, changed it & hand brake is good now, still no change. Wondering if it's the master or what? This is on my wife's '98 SE with 252K km's, my '98 GLE with 202k km's is fine.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 AM

master cylinder or flexing lines.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gotta question (hopefully someone can answer).... Friday I tried starting my car and realized the battery was dead (so I thought). I used my blazer to jump it, took the jumper cables off and was gonna let it run for a few minutes. About 30 seconds after running it died. SO I jumped it again, this time leaving the cables on. I sat in my car and realized NOTHING in my car was working (power windows, locks, sunroof, radio, headlights,etc.). Again, the car was running and nothing would turn on. I then pulled the jumper cables off and my car stayed running for about 30 seconds again and slowley died. The battery is about 2 months old (NEW) and had the alternator checked and is 'fine'. Computer fried???
Old 04-02-2007, 09:06 AM

check the main ignition fuse under the hood.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 AM

anyone know an easy way to pull the stock deck out of a 96 maxima?

edit: I'd search it on this forum but I can't yet cuz im a newbie.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a question and it may have been asked already, but I'm looking to buy a 4th Gen Max and I'm wondering what are some things specific to this Make/Model and Generation that I should look at when I'm looking around.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 01:19 PM
What's next!?..

Originally Posted by Just_The_Factz
I have a question and it may have been asked already, but I'm looking to buy a 4th Gen Max and I'm wondering what are some things specific to this Make/Model and Generation that I should look at when I'm looking around.

Thanks
The list will be a little different for each year and trim level.

Please refer to the 4th Gen Maxima FAQs Sticky at the top of the forum.
It has info in trim level differences and all the TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) issued by Nissan in the past 11 years.

If you're considering a specific year and trim level then post back and someone could probably give you a list.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Closed. New thread forthcoming.