4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Looking back, would you do the Seafoam Treatment again?
Yes, I am happy with the results. I would do it all over again.
73.40%
No, it did not work. I would not do it again if I could go back.
26.60%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Seafoam Verdict - Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:55 AM
JFP in PA

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
Carbon burns black.
Oil burns blue.
and Seafoam burns.........................your O2 sensors. (not to mention it will clean absolutely nothing but your pockets).

Its amazing how people are surprised their motors are smoother..............when 10 minutes before, it was about to shut off. Talk about some good marketing.
+1.................total waste of time and money..................

Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Hella internets

BINGO!!!

Carbon burns black.
Oil burns blue.
and Seafoam burns.........................your O2 sensors. (not to mention it will clean absolutely nothing but your pockets).

Its amazing how people are surprised their motors are smoother..............when 10 minutes before, it was about to shut off. Talk about some good marketing.
Wow, considering i ran a WHOLE BOTTLE of it at once....and im still using the same O2 sensors....I think your o2 sensors were probably already on the way out...

It has been almost 30k miles since i used the seafoam, and i havent had to replace any o2 sensors....Since i used something like 6 times the specified amount i think i would have been one of the ones to experience what your claiming seafoam does...
Old 03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
iAMIXAM!

i wanna do the seafoam but i really dont want my O2 sensor to go out, i can replace my plugs and feel happy about it but i just replaced my O2 sensor few months ago and i really dont wanna waste money buying more...... i was thinking of taking the O2 sensors off to do it but that sounds kinda dumb even if i am the one thinking of doing it...lol
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Location (Crankcase, Gas Tank):
Method (Brake Booster Line):
Amount of Seafoam Used: 1/3 , 1/2
Amount of time it sat before restart: 10, 30 depends on time I have
Duration and description of smoke: 15- 25 minutes smoke
Relevant Notes
makes engine feel a lot more smooth, noticed a little better starts (initially), car engine feels clean (can't explain)

BTW I've done aobut 10 seam foams clean, (not my car only)
Old 04-07-2007, 03:06 PM

Location intake
Method random vacuum lines on plenum
Amount of Seafoam Used: 1+ bottle
Amount of time it sat before restart: none, ran it the whole time and revved the crap out of it
Duration and desciption of smoke: the whole can
Relevant Notes: ran noticeably better afterwards, smoke from subsequent treatments significantly reduced. also, car was 97 dodge intrepid.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 PM

Run Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus through your gastank- it works.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
iAMIXAM!

tried it for the first time today, through the brake booster line, didn't notice any difference.....
Old 04-10-2007, 08:38 AM

Lol when I tried it I used an entire can. I stuck the brake booster hose in the canister and vacuumed it all up. I had a big *** smoke show for like 10 minutes. I drove away WOT and lefted everyone in the street blind. LOL it was fun while it lasted. After I did it I'm not gonna lie though, I noticed my previous automatic chriping tires from tapping the pedal like it really did clean some **** out. But I had an enormous smoke show, SMOKE went like 30 to 40 feet high and lasted a long time
Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 AM

Nice- can't wait to do this myself
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 AM
maxima0001

BINGO!!!

Carbon burns black.
Oil burns blue.

Hilarious when people assume they know one way or the other....

Anyways, dont mislead people into thinking Seafoam was the cause of there 02 sensor problem when its MORELY LIKELY that the 02 sensor was on the way out anyways...

Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Ichiban King

If you run seafoam the way it was intended, through the gas or poured into the crankcase I think it actually may do some good.. Depending on conditions obviously.

But, they make Deep Creep for the specific purpose of TB/ IM cleaning. So with that said I'm not sure why people still use the regular. Not to mention I think its the most ineffective bullsh1t ever produced. Have any of you taken an intake manifold off and looked at carbon or tried to just "wipe it off." Haha it's a damn joke, that stuff is there to stay unless you get serious with it.

I just took the Greddy coffin off the RB today and all I gotta say is..
Old 04-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by maxima0001
Hilarious when people assume they know one way or the other....

Anyways, dont mislead people into thinking Seafoam was the cause of there 02 sensor problem when its MORELY LIKELY that the 02 sensor was on the way out anyways...

My car is going to die eventually. should I just go drive it into a brick wall since it is on its way out anyway? Only thing is your lack of common sense.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Nightmare = Reality

I broke down and bought a can today.

roughly half went to my crankcase with some Mobil1 15w50 (yes im burning oil and it's 90F out why you ask? lol) and the other half roughly went in the tank. I only had about 1/4 tank of 89 octane, so it should be more than adequate ratio.

I just started driving around some larger roads. . .50mph, some curvies, got some decent 3/4-WOT jaunts, some throttle taps while cruising, etc.,

I would say after 50-75mi, I am seeing an improvement in responsiveness, and I'm seeing the hesitation as the tach climbed on each sucessive acceleration attempt slowly fade. Probably the octane booster so I'll reserve judgement for my next oil change. I think im gonna have to hit up our amsoil guy and get somethin thicker for the summer. hopefully i can get a good look at the oil filter afterwards.

This was a really good time for me to be doing this. I have a Cattman cat-back en router thanks to an exhaust leak, I'm already throwing an SES code for an EVAP canister valve, and It hot out and I've been burning oil. I don't expect this stuff to work miracles, but if it loosens up the chit like I've seen in some people's videos. . .then hey, I only have about 2-3k before I do a drain & refil of the crankcase, I'll drop a new filter in at the same time, and I'll only dirty up my stock B-pipe...
Old 06-01-2007, 05:47 AM

wow dude, you have an 03 and it's burning oil???!?!?!??? I must find that disturbing.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I use Seafoam in my I30 and have for four years. It does as advertised and I am satisfied.

I also have used it in a Chevy 454 that had sat for 7 years. You should have seen the massive clouds of smoke and crap flying out of the exhaust from all the varnish the old gas had created along with all the carbon deposits. Pulled the carb the next week to replace the accelerator pump and the insides were squeaky clean, including the jets and rods.

I even use Seafoam as an occasional additive for my lawn power equipment. They run lousy for a few minutes but sure run cleaner and better afterwards.

No, I am not a saleman nor a mechanic. Just an average guy who can fix most anything and takes notes on what works and what doesn't (for me).
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 PM

I agree with the Chevron Techron working really well in the gas tank. Sea Foam does a nice job to, but can burn out certain O2 sensors. Haven't had a problem with either Sea Foam or Chevron in any of my four vehicles.

Crankcase
Brake Booster line
Directly in to intake manifold via flexible funnel loosen MAF assembly
Gas Tank

Probably wasting money, but I do that better than anyone
ahh...why not spend three hundred bucks at Dave and Busters