4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Who has noise problems with d2 coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:44 AM
vsamoylov

Who has noise problems with d2 coilovers?

i thought i fixed it by replacing the coil insulators both lower and upper but the clunking noise is still there. everything is tight. any ideas?

Old 09-07-2006, 04:55 PM

Clunking noise while driving or clunking noise on turns? over bumps?
all 4 coils overs?

more info please...
Old 09-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I support for what?

Maybe that my problem. I get a clunk noise when turning left in the driver side. It just clunks 2-3 times then stops. and then makes the noise when it comes back.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:44 PM
vsamoylov

clunking noise only front the front. it is mostly there when i am going slow in a straight line.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
clunking noise only front the front. it is mostly there when i am going slow in a straight line.
just out of curiosity, did you tighten the camber adjusters?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
Maybe that my problem. I get a clunk noise when turning left in the driver side. It just clunks 2-3 times then stops. and then makes the noise when it comes back.

Possible your cv joint...
mine does it when I turn left as well... turning right is beautiful quiet..
also, I was trying to work a theory maybe when turning left, the exhaust system was hitting something... but the didn't work out
Old 09-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Ichiban King

talk to Fr33way he said something about pivot joints or something or rather.. he got so annoyed he got rid of his D2's. personally, I'm going with KS.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:48 PM
SLOW

Ksport and D2 are made by the same company from what I've read. They actually make a number of different color anodized coilovers and sell them under different brand names.

Anyways I had noise problems with my Ksports when I first installed them too, springs hanging up and "pinging" when I turned the wheel, and also clunking/clacking over bumps and road undulations.

I jacked the car up in the air and cleaned the threads off so I could lower the spring perches way down, so as to get the springs "loose" on the coilover. I applied some high viscosity silicone grease to the upper perch, lower perch, and the rubber isolators on both the upper and lower perches. Made sure everything was nice and clean first, by spraying with brake parts cleaner directly or by spraying brake parts cleaner on a rag and wiping it clean. Then I set them back to the height I wanted them at. That got rid of the pinging noises when I turned the steering wheel back and forth.

The clacking/clunking over bumps I found to be a simple case of not having tightened the strut rod nut tight enough. I was tightening it from memory from the last time I'd done suspension on a max which was... oh... 5+ years ago... and I remembered the #s wrong. I only tightened it to like 20 ft-lb. the FSM says 48-56 ft-lb. Being as it's hard to tighten those things because the strut rod starts turning, I just set the impact gun to the second lightest impact level which is about 50 ft-lb with my dinky little air compressor, and I zapped em.

Lastly I put a drop of 3in1 oil in the top of the upper pillow ball mount, that shut those up nicely.

I wouldn't be suprised if I have to reapply the grease and or re-oil the upper pillow ball mount at some point, but for now, they are nice and silent. knock on wood.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Ichiban King

^^^^^ yeah I heard that as well.. but from what I've seen the D2's seem to be a little different in design from the KS. were you happy with them after the noise was gone?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:35 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Apparition
^^^^^ yeah I heard that as well.. but from what I've seen the D2's seem to be a little different in design from the KS. were you happy with them after the noise was gone?

Well the noise has only been gone for like 3 days now, but so far I'm happy with them. I've only had the KS in for a month or so, and most of that month has seen the car being laid up because I was doing some things to it, so really I've probably got less than a week and a half of driving experience with them.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:43 AM
vsamoylov

everthing was tight when i had them installed. nothing was left loose. i still want to hear gbauer come in and say something because he also has a set.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Well the noise has only been gone for like 3 days now, but so far I'm happy with them. I've only had the KS in for a month or so, and most of that month has seen the car being laid up because I was doing some things to it, so really I've probably got less than a week and a half of driving experience with them.
right on, well I'll await any updates on the subject.