4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PRCAI O.O 6 hours -_-

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 06:36 AM

PRCAI O.O 6 hours -_-

Ok, so I get my PRCAI from 96white and I have everything minus the plastic fitting but thats ok because I found another way. Anyway, I get about 30% through the installation ya know Everything's out, throttle body's exposed and all that jazz. I go to fit the AMB sensor into the pipe and... it doesn't fit.

Turns out, 97-98 AMB sensors are built different than 95-96 and the tube was built for a 97-98... On to a little engineering:

I took a plastic rod, belt sander, and made a saddle to fit to the tube, sealed it with some Fuji Bond, mounted the saddle on, drilled two holes into the CAI and we're done:

Let that sit while I at dinner, and went back out...

Now getting that Monster Flow Airfilter on was the gigantic PITA, the CAI fits maybe 3/4" into it and since the way the filter is shaped the flange isn't flush against the fender, I couldn't just bolt it on. instead I used a hose clamp. One handed, and not being able to see up into the fender while I do this was very interesting, and eventually involved me opening up the hole a little more, attaching the filter outside the car and just pushing the whole pipe up through the bottom of the hole.

As for fitting the pipe so it doesn't move, more hose clamps. But it finally got done, and runs GREAT. But I noticed 2 small holes on the wheel well cover / front bumper cover on the underside where water could splash up, any thoughts on keeping this from happening?
Old 09-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Sold

seal the hole with some silicone. How big are those holes you mentioned? if they are little, that should work, if they are bigger than a dime, your probablly going to do something different.
Good job with the effort of fitting that prcai into your car.
I think I would have given up.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:58 AM

The original hole for the AMB sensor in the pipe is about the size of a dime, I drilled 9/64th holes, but with the positioning they came out as U holes since it had to be so close to the original hole. but since its mounted and sealed that doesn't really matter.

And seal it with silicone? Is it easy enough? never worked with it before, and I'm not sure I'm up to taking everything out again lol
Old 09-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry if im jacking this thread, but its kinda related. Arent their two sensors? an AMB sensor and an intake sensor? I know that the climate control uses some sort of AMB sensor near the bumper, but for the life of couldnt think of how or why this would have anything to do with the intake. Maybe Im confusing this.....sorry for the retard question.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Don't worry about water wetting the filter, the filter is oiled which repelles the water. The only thing you should ever worry about is going through deep puddles like 2 foot where the filter would be completely submerged. Even if some of the filter is under water it still won't damage anything because its still getting air. Don't worry about the water and enjoy your new found sound and power.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:41 AM

I beg to differ I would be worried about the water, just in case, because no one wants a blown motor because of water going thru their cai. There is something called a bypass valve or something that aem started using a long time ago on their intakes, I think they sell just the valve on ebay, if u dont wanna do that figure out a way to close up anywhere water can get in. That reason tho is y I am not using the prcai
Old 09-12-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

a splash of water will not blow the motor
Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by matts95max
I beg to differ I would be worried about the water, just in case, because no one wants a blown motor because of water going thru their cai. There is something called a bypass valve or something that aem started using a long time ago on their intakes, I think they sell just the valve on ebay, if u dont wanna do that figure out a way to close up anywhere water can get in. That reason tho is y I am not using the prcai

I have had 5 cars with true cai(not that fake a$$ ingen one) and I have driven through some real nasty weather and never had a problem. Don't worry at all. A bypass valve is for all you insecure people to make more money.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by matts95max
.. wow you need to research way more. then only way you're gonna "blow your engine" is simple. You never will at least not by means of the CAI.. The horrible thing that everyone is afraid of is "hydrolock," which occurs if the filter in submerged enough to where the engine sucks it through the piping (the water). But, what kinda of complete moron would let that happen. Plus I've been forced through big puddles and checked the filter and the damn thing wasn't even wet.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:17 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by Apparition
.. wow you need to research way more. then only way you're gonna "blow your engine" is simple. You never will at least not by means of the CAI.. The horrible thing that everyone is afraid of is "hydrolock," which occurs if the filter in submerged enough to where the engine sucks it through the piping (the water). But, what kinda of complete moron would let that happen. Plus I've been forced through big puddles and checked the filter and the damn thing wasn't even wet.

What he said
Old 09-12-2006, 12:32 PM

yeah hydrolock is what i was thinking when I said blow the motor, sorry bout the incorrect usage of the phrase
Old 09-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

well its totally possible, but if the puddle is really that deep why the heck would you go through it? thats just crazy