4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

vg30de > vq30de?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
actually 1 point drop is fairly significant and also the vg30dett was designed to be a turbo motor....so going from 10.3 to 9.4 is quite good.....and to change compression and displacement stroke or bore much change...i THINK in this case it was stroke
I believe you're correct about Tilley. The new VQ32HRDETT is a de-stroked VQ35 as well.

Also, 1 point is fairly significant.. Yet, not as big a jump as a designated turbo engine's comp. ratio.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Maxima Owner

^^^^ Truth....but seeing as the VQ was designed as an NA motor dropping down 1 point is really good as stated....as the VG30dett being designed as a turbo motor was never intended for NA use...now the VG30de in the NA Zs I believe is 10.1:1 for compression being designed for NA use....I dont know for sure....but believe it or not the VG turbo and NA blocks are different in more ways than you think
Old 12-04-2006, 02:07 PM

TheVG30DE and VG30DETT blocks are the same casting. They both have oil squirters that direct oil towards the underside of the piston, although they point at slightly different angles. They have all of the same oil passages. Two passages are plugged with a bolt on the VG30DE block (one on each outside face that feed the turbos on a TT). The VG30DETT has two oil passages plugged inside where the oil filter bracket mounts. The VG30DE has two small check valves in this location. They are plugged in the VG30DETT so that the oil will go through the lines to the oil cooler, which returns back to the oil pan. The VG30DE block is can be used like a VG30DETT just by removing the plugs for the turbo lines and plugging the bypass holes under the oil filter bracket. Block part number, rods, crank, wrist pins, all have the same part numbers. BUT PISTONS and OIL PUMP ARE DIFFERENT!

VG30DETT uses colder plugs as well as 370cc injectors. Heads are different where the VG30DETT uses castings with larger intake and exhaust ports. Exhaust valves on VG30DETT withstand higher heat and are made of inconel but are otherwise the same size as VG30DE. Oil pans is different on VG30DETT

Cams, Lifters, and valve springs ARE the same (90-93)(same Nissan Part #). The automatic VG30DETT has different intake cams (lower lift) but the intake cams on the rest are the same. All the exhaust cams are the same. The 94-95 cams were different than the 90-93 but just like the earlier ones they are all the same except for the intake cams on the auto VG30DETT. In 96 cams were all the same.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Apparition
I believe you're correct about Tilley. The new VQ32HRDETT is a de-stroked VQ35 as well.
I don't think this motor exists. Furthermore, the HR block in general is all-new.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:12 PM

Also, 1 point is fairly significant.. Yet, not as big a jump as a designated turbo engine's comp. ratio.
Opps I messed up and didnt even think of the volume gained by the uncompressed space. Now with that in account, his compression can be as low as 5:1 to as high 9.41:1. 5:1 if he just swaps in a new crank with no other changes and 9.41 if he changes the connecting rods to ones just long enough so they get up to the top of the cylinder.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Wild for Width

Careful with the guesses.

HR uses internals DESIGNED for boost. It is not a modified VQ35.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
Careful with the guesses.

HR uses internals DESIGNED for boost. It is not a modified VQ35.
Huh?? What are you talking about, I know it uses internals meant for boost, its also de-stroked supposedly.. Confusion.

EDIT: Ahh now I see what you meant, no Tilley's car has nothing to do with it, I don't know where I was going with that.. Perhaps BFE.

-----------------------------------------

But, anyhow you're right it is a different engine.. But, never the less they've determined by exahust note that the new GTR engine is indeed a turbo VQ35 and seeing as how the VQ35HR is the new N/A engine, it's not hard to bridge the gap.

So I'll stand corrected on basis of pure speculation. But, it would need to be de-stroked for boost IMO. So, VQ35DETT (HR).

I'm done talking haha.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:13 PM

Huh?? What are you talking about, I know it uses internals meant for boost, its also de-stroked supposedly.. Confusion.

EDIT: Ahh now I see what you meant, no Tilley's car has nothing to do with it, I don't know where I was going with that.. Perhaps BFE.

-----------------------------------------

But, anyhow you're right it is a different engine.. But, never the less they've determined by exahust note that the new GTR engine is indeed a turbo VQ35 and seeing as how the VQ35HR is the new N/A engine, it's not hard to bridge the gap.

So I'll stand corrected on basis of pure speculation. But, it would need to be de-stroked for boost IMO. So, VQ35DETT (HR).

I'm done talking haha.
It's not a VQ35DE variant at all. It's all-new. And why would it need to be destroked for boost? The only reason tilley did that was because it was an easy way to reduce the compression ratio using OEM parts that he already had sitting around.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by nismology
It's not a VQ35DE variant at all. It's all-new. And why would it need to be destroked for boost? The only reason tilley did that was because it was an easy way to reduce the compression ratio using OEM parts that he already had sitting around.
Well, in the articles I've read its stated that it is a variant.. So, at this point it would be a quote war. It doesn't matter anyways, as I went way off into OT land with this haha.

I'm really comparing the VQ35HR to the VQ35HRTT (HR), so in that respect the compression ratios would be different. So, it would need to be destroked or spaced in some way to lower compression vs. its regular HR sibling.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:16 PM

Well, in the articles I've read its stated that it is a variant.. So, at this point it would be a quote war. It doesn't matter anyways, as I went way off into OT land with this haha.
Well that was back in the pre-production days full of speculation and hearsay. My knowledge is based off of actual images i've seen of the internals per this NPM article. The was a thread about this article a couple months ago. It is IN FACT all-new.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/september06/vq35hr/
I'm really comparing the VQ35HR to the VQ35HRTT (HR), so in that respect the compression ratios would be different. So, it would need to be destroked or spaced in some way to lower compression vs. its regular HR sibling.
Like i mentioned earlier, the only reason tilley de-stroked the 3.5 to reduce the compression ratio was because it was a cheap and easy solution using OEM parts he already had. The method of choice in most other cases is to use dished pistons.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Wild for Width

It's not a VQ35DE variant at all. It's all-new.
This is what I am saying. Appr><Fr33
Old 12-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Ichiban King

Well that was back in the pre-production days full of speculation and hearsay. My knowledge is based off of actual images i've seen of the internals per this NPM article. The was a thread about this article a couple months ago. It is IN FACT all-new.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/september06/vq35hr/

Like i mentioned earlier, the only reason tilley de-stroked the 3.5 to reduce the compression ratio was because it was a cheap and easy solution using OEM parts he already had. The method of choice in most other cases is to use dished pistons.
I've read the article as well and go about talking about the new internals. Point taken though. I'm also familiar with the lowering comp. methods including pistons, stroke, and spacing. Anyhow, should prove interesting.

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
This is what I am saying. Appr><Fr33
I will stomp on your car..
Old 12-05-2006, 06:22 PM

I'm also familiar with the lowering comp. methods including pistons, stroke, and spacing.
I'm sure you've heard of them before but you said the VQ "should be de-stroked for boost". I was just making it clear that doing that isn't necessary at all and is actually undesireable most of the time due to the reduction of torque. I'd rather keep my cc's and get lower compression pistons.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Ichiban King

I'm sure you've heard of them before but you said the VQ "should be de-stroked for boost". I was just making it clear that doing that isn't necessary at all and is actually undesireable most of the time due to the reduction of torque. I'd rather keep my cc's and get lower compression pistons.
Agreed.. It all makes for interesting conversation.