4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Squeaking Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Squeaking Clutch

I noticed my clutch squeaks whenever i push it down. Any ideas on what causes squeaking?'

Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 PM

I have been having the same problem actually, and I checked the clutch fluid and it was extremely low. Trying checking the clutch fluid level. Just A Thought
Old 03-05-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 4thgenlewis07
I have been having the same problem actually, and I checked the clutch fluid and it was extremely low. Trying checking the clutch fluid level. Just A Thought

I'll do that. Did adding more clutch fluid stop the squesaking?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:01 PM

Stopped the squeaky noise and returned stiffness in the clutch!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Doggah Bite...

I have had the same squeaky noise since I got this car a year aog, I have bled and bled and bled some more, then put on the SS clutch line and bled again. Now I have a super-responsive firm pedal but still squeaky. Does not make noise in the cold until warmed up...

It sounds liek it is comming from around where the clutchline goes into the tranny. I am just not gonna worry about it and replace it all when I do the clutch.

-Matt
Old 03-05-2007, 07:22 PM
MaximaDriver

mine squeaks too, but i know thats the spring attached to pedal
Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Doggah Bite...

I had my g/f get into the car and press the clutch while I listened, and it was comming from the spot I mentioned above for sure. And it only does it at about the last 1"-1 1/2" of pedal travel...

-Matt
Old 03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Godzilla

if you look on your trans just under the clutch hose there is a rubber boot. if you pull up the boot you'll see all the linkage that attaches to the throw out bearing, etc. i looked at mine and it was all dirty and dried out due to the clutch dust, ect, so i sprayed it down with some spray grease and that fixed it for a little while. i have yet to actually clean it off because i was being cautious due to the fact that if anything gets on the clutch it wont grab the flywheel and thus you cant shift.. so keep this thought in mind when you go to clean it and especially grease it. have fun.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:24 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

If the squeaking is comming from inside the car its the spring on the clutch pedal. Get some white lithium grease and spray it on the spring which pushing on the clutch. White lithium grease sticks and isnt runny like WD-40 so it will stay ont he spring. I had the same problem for a while and this stuff made it go away.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Doggah Bite...

Originally Posted by shiftnatredline
if you look on your trans just under the clutch hose there is a rubber boot. if you pull up the boot you'll see all the linkage that attaches to the throw out bearing, etc. i looked at mine and it was all dirty and dried out due to the clutch dust, ect, so i sprayed it down with some spray grease and that fixed it for a little while. i have yet to actually clean it off because i was being cautious due to the fact that if anything gets on the clutch it wont grab the flywheel and thus you cant shift.. so keep this thought in mind when you go to clean it and especially grease it. have fun.
yeah, I have though about doing this but just haven't gotten around to it. This is where the noise is comming form. I think that will be a job for some white lithium spray grease.

-Matt
Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
If the squeaking is comming from inside the car its the spring on the clutch pedal. Get some white lithium grease and spray it on the spring which pushing on the clutch. White lithium grease sticks and isnt runny like WD-40 so it will stay ont he spring. I had the same problem for a while and this stuff made it go away.
thats the answer.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Godzilla

sure its the answer if thats where the squeel is coming from.
mine is coming from inside the bell housing.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:26 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Im addressing the guy who started this thread, not you.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
thats the answer.

Thanks alot I will try tommrow and see if it fixes it. Where can I get spray greese? I never herd of it.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:29 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Look specifically for white lithium greese, it will stick to what you spray it on, wont run off. Try an auto parts store, not sure exactly where you get it.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Doggah Bite...

Look specifically for white lithium greese, it will stick to what you spray it on, wont run off. Try an auto parts store, not sure exactly where you get it.
he's right, if you use WD-40, it may stop the squeak for a little while, but it is thin and will dry up quickly. White Lithium grease will work well. It comes in a spracy can like spraypaint and will work great.

-Matt
Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by MadMaxSE-L
he's right, if you use WD-40, it may stop the squeak for a little while, but it is thin and will dry up quickly. White Lithium grease will work well. It comes in a spracy can like spraypaint and will work great.

-Matt

The squeaking coming from inside of the bellhousing is the shift fork, and probably where the throw out bearing sits as well. Spray white lithium grease will not solve your problem long term. You will need to open up the tranny, and replace your shift fork, as well as relube the ball that the shift fork sits on. The problem with spray white lithium grease is that when the tranny heats up, it loses effectiveness. I guarantee it will not solve you problem long term.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:33 AM
Doggah Bite...

That is not where my problem was comming from, nor was it the other orgers problem. Like I said it was from under the boot on the slave cylinder- pull that back and it is crusty and when it moves, that is where MY noise was comming from- no one said it is a long term solution- if something is squeaking it is worn out,dried up or has grit in it and needs to be replaced. BUt spraying the grease in it will keep you ride from sounding like a 20 year old Honda until you fix it.

-Matt
Old 03-07-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by MadMaxSE-L
That is not where my problem was comming from, nor was it the other orgers problem. Like I said it was from under the boot on the slave cylinder- pull that back and it is crusty and when it moves, that is where MY noise was comming from- no one said it is a long term solution- if something is squeaking it is worn out,dried up or has grit in it and needs to be replaced. BUt spraying the grease in it will keep you ride from sounding like a 20 year old Honda until you fix it.

-Matt

Yes, it is. You misunderstood what I am saying. The problem that you speak of is coming from inside of the bellhousing, NOT the tranny internal casing. It is coming from your shift fork that connects to the throw out bearing. The shift fork pushes the pressure plate teeth into the clutch disk. I personally have this problem right now, and a carry a can of white lithium grease in my car. The clutch still makes noise after repeated applications.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:34 PM

Yeah mine's squeaking too, so is the brake which is weird, I thought it was my stereo beeping at me at first bugged me for a couple days lol. havent had a chance to check it out yet, any idea about the brake though?